2x8GB vs 1x16GB worth

Noyu
Go to solution Solved by NelizMastr,

In your case, yes, you'll want the dual channel config. Why? Well, your Vega IGP will have significantly more memory bandwidth as well.

Single channel memory only has a memory bus width of 64-bit, dual channel doubles that to 128-bit. That's a big deal for sure ;) 

this has probably been asked a ton of times before.

but I think that was before the RAM pricing problem.

So I'm asking again.

Browsing the used RAM market I noticed there's at least 20$ difference between a 2x8GB and a 1x16 with the 2x8 being more expensive for obvious reasons.

Is the extra 20$ worth the difference?

The RAM will be built with a Ryzen 2400G without a discrete GPU if that matters to you. Overclocking is not an option.

Futureproofing is also not an option - this build will not be upgraded for the foreseeable future.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

In your case, yes, you'll want the dual channel config. Why? Well, your Vega IGP will have significantly more memory bandwidth as well.

Single channel memory only has a memory bus width of 64-bit, dual channel doubles that to 128-bit. That's a big deal for sure ;) 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

I'd honestly pay the extra $20. Specially if you're planning on keeping the memory for a while.

5 hours ago, Noyu said:

this has probably been asked a ton of times before.

but I think that was before the RAM pricing problem.

So I'm asking again.

Browsing the used RAM market I noticed there's at least 20$ difference between a 2x8GB and a 1x16 with the 2x8 being more expensive for obvious reasons.

Is the extra 20$ worth the difference?

The RAM will be built with a Ryzen 2400G without a discrete GPU if that matters to you. Overclocking is not an option.

Futureproofing is also not an option - this build will not be upgraded for the foreseeable future.

Why do you want to spend money on 16GB of RAM with such a weak graphics setup?

6 hours ago, Noyu said:

Ryzen 2400G

Dual Channel mostly only improves performance when you're with integrated graphics so in your case it'd be beneficial enough to make sense going 2x8gb.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

9 hours ago, Apepa said:

Why do you want to spend money on 16GB of RAM with such a weak graphics setup?

From my experience 8GB is just barely enough for me with my current build. Considering that the 2400G is an APU, where the integrated GPU will also be eating up RAM, 16GB is my best bet.

8 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Dual Channel mostly only improves performance when you're with integrated graphics so in your case it'd be beneficial enough to make sense going 2x8gb.

ooooooooooooh.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

4 minutes ago, Noyu said:

From my experience 8GB is just barely enough for me with my current build. Considering that the 2400G is an APU, where the integrated GPU will also be eating up RAM, 16GB is my best bet.

What are you using it for? Besides EPIC SPREADSHEET MAKING I can't think of any application where this build would make sense.

4 minutes ago, Apepa said:

What are you using it for? Besides EPIC SPREADSHEET MAKING I can't think of any application where this build would make sense.

image.jpeg.afef67f311e3b6ff3d4a802e9b2e2c4a.jpeg

Karamo

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Noyu said:

image.jpeg.afef67f311e3b6ff3d4a802e9b2e2c4a.jpeg

So, you are going to spend $100 and sacrifice a decent CPU or GPU just so you can have more than 25 tabs open without hitting the page file?

I have a pretty similar build to what you have in your sig, except I recently upgraded from 8GB to 24GB of RAM. There's no perceivable difference. The only area where I could imagine there being a big difference would be in content creation, and in that case you're already hamstrung by a weak CPU and GPU, so it makes no sense.

1 minute ago, Apepa said:

So, you are going to spend $100 and sacrifice a decent CPU or GPU just so you can have more than 25 tabs open without hitting the page file?

I have a pretty similar build to what you have in your sig, except I recently upgraded from 8GB to 24GB of RAM. There's no perceivable difference. The only area where I could imagine there being a big difference would be in content creation, and in that case you're already hamstrung by a weak CPU and GPU, so it makes no sense.

I'm not sacrificing a CPU or GPU.

I'm dead set on the 2400G because the build concept does not allow a discrete GPU. Case will be the InWin Chopin. The 2400G will be the best CPU choice.

This new build will be a backup portable APU build for me and my niece.

My issue with just 8GB is we often leave a ton of Chrome tabs open while doing something else.

The build on my sig is my main rig. As you've noticed, it's only 8GB. I don't plan on upgrading to 16GB until the RAM prices go back to normal.

Karamo

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, Noyu said:

I'm not sacrificing a CPU or GPU.

I'm dead set on the 2400G because the build concept does not allow a discrete GPU. Case will be the InWin Chopin. The 2400G will be the best CPU choice.

This new build will be a backup portable APU build for me and my niece.

My issue with just 8GB is we often leave a ton of Chrome tabs open while doing something else.

The build on my sig is my main rig. As you've noticed, it's only 8GB. I don't plan on upgrading to 16GB until the RAM prices go back to normal.

Well, I guess some people just hate money.

1 minute ago, Apepa said:

Well, I guess some people just hate money.

I'll just repeat what I said. 8GB is barely enough for an APU build. At least for my use-case. It is enough yes, but with no leeway. The sweetspot would be 12GB hell maybe even 10GB, but no one makes 6 and/or 12 GB kits. Running 8+4 just doesnt make sense, at least for a fresh/new build.

Karamo

Spoiler

Just now, Noyu said:

I'll just repeat what I said. 8GB is barely enough for an APU build. At least for my use-case. It is enough yes, but with no leeway. The sweetspot would be 12GB hell maybe even 10GB, but no one makes 6 and/or 12 GB kits. Running 8+4 just doesnt make sense, at least for a fresh/new build.

Spending $200 on RAM when your CPU/GPU motherboard is only something like $240 combined doesn't make sense either, though. 

How many slots do you have? if 2 slots only, go for the 16gb stick.

This will futureproof your setup at least 5 more years, when all games need 16gb to run, you can just add another 16gb for a 32gb rig.

If you say 32gb is too much, they say the same thing 5 years ago when 8gb is too much.

But there's a caviat, single 16gb sticks is relatively new in the market, it won't be compatible with some motherboard.

Make sure you have a return policy if the sticks aren't compatible with your current setup.

23 minutes ago, Noyu said:

The sweetspot right now is 16gb period. Why you want to be stuck with 4gb stick inside your motherboard.

In 1-2 years to come you will want 16gb, why not do it now.

50 chrome tabs already costing me 7-8gb, plus if you set your APU to 4gb vram, nomore space for anything else.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 hour ago, Apepa said:

Spending $200 on RAM when your CPU/GPU motherboard is only something like $240 combined doesn't make sense either, though. 

it may not make sense in a financial aspect, but performance-wise I think it's fine. Nothing will be bottlenecking anything.

Getting an 8+4 kit will bottleneck dual channel to flex mode (8GB dual channel + 4GB single channel)

It may not even work properly so it's a risk I don't wanna take.

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

How many slots do you have? if 2 slots only, go for the 16gb stick.

This will futureproof your setup at least 5 more years, when all games need 16gb to run, you can just add another 16gb for a 32gb rig.

since this'll be an mITX buid, I only have 2 slots. But I'm going with a 2x8GB since I dont really plan on futureproofing the build. Especially because there's not really much to futureproof since it's an APU hahaha

I'm convinced 2x8GB will perform marginally better than 1x16GB.

Karamo

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Noyu said:

since this'll be an mITX buid, I only have 2 slots. But I'm going with a 2x8GB since I dont really plan on futureproofing the build. Especially because there's not really much to futureproof since it's an APU hahaha

I'm convinced 2x8GB will perform marginally better than 1x16GB.

Well suit yourself.

I have a bunch of old core 2 duos / quads with 2 memory slots from 10 years ago.

The machines still running w8 fine but only has 2x1gb sticks, 2gb is huge back then.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w