Grandpa Fell For Tech Support Scam

RadiatingLight

RIP

My grandpa fell for a tech support scam on his PC. He already cancelled his credit card and all that jazz, but every time the affected computer connects to the internet, the scammers seem to reconnect. (screen goes black with text that says "ConnectWiseControl"

I've tried uninstalling whatever the scammer put on there, but it doesn't appear in programs and features and I can't find the installation location.

Other than a clean-install, is there anything else you'd suggest?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

7 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

but it doesn't appear in programs and features and I can't find the installation location.

Then you really don't have any other option do you

It will probably take a longer time to find where all the stuff is then it is to DBAN and install windows again

My life

You could try a utility I found called 'My uninstaller' seems to list software the doesn't always show up in programs and features. Can't remember the link but it should come up with a quick search.

Try look alt tab out of the black screen to taskmanager or something to find the location of the exe. Idk, you've probs already tried that.

But I'd just do a clean install to be sure its gone.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

I use ScreenConnect/Connectwise, the temp installer is usually in appdata somewhere. It won't come up in a malware scan since it isn't malware.

Edit: That said, better safe than sorry. I cast my vote for a reload as well.

Wipe the whole PC.

Don't think that uninstalling a program will completely remove any viruses or control software.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

30 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

RIP

My grandpa fell for a tech support scam on his PC. He already cancelled his credit card and all that jazz, but every time the affected computer connects to the internet, the scammers seem to reconnect. (screen goes black with text that says "ConnectWiseControl"

I've tried uninstalling whatever the scammer put on there, but it doesn't appear in programs and features and I can't find the installation location.

nah, WIPE the whole PC.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

don't wipe.

get an usb stick with total uninstaller and malwarebytes antimalware on it, unplug the ethernet wire from your grandpa's computer (so it doesn't reconnects) and run both programs, search anything weird with TU remove it and then run the antimalware

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Please follow the advice of the sane on here and wipe it out completely with a fresh windows install. Who knows what else they could have slipped onto the PC that your grandpa might not even had noticed. 

Yep, You guys are right. I'm wiping the boot drive.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

dont trust nothing.

wipe it clean 188%

Tell your gramps to dont buy anything from nobody anymore who is door to door or over the phone. Tell  your gramps to tell them to Fuck off and dont call you anymore your not interested. Or if you got time to waste, you could just play along with them, if you have the time to do that. Also, maybe a neat trick is to ask for someone to show up at the house, wouldnt that be a blast to mess with them that way!

Ya that sucks,

I've got a number of people that have me on speed dial lol, they have called me before with stuff like this.

I've told them to not talk to people like that, no legitimate company has ever called an end user to fix a problem that they did not even know existed on their computer/did not call someone first ( that i know of).

I've told them if they really think its serious and legitamate, to put them on hold, and call me first to verify (which it never is).

I've dealt with this all to often, you gotta really hammer down this on your friends/family/customers, they get the scare of a lifetime from these guys because that is what they do, scare them into believing something serious is going on and they need to take care of this (pay them) right now or all hell will break loose.

Honestly these people call me sometimes even.

I just screw with them alot, for as long as I can, confuse them mislead them etc, lol.

Depending on your point of view, this might sound bad, but that is exactly what they are doing to other people.

And the more I waste their time, the less time they have to scam someone else.

You might have to wipe it clean, but I have found in alot of cases these people dont try to get back in from what I can tell.

You can probably do something like a netstat and figure out whats running and connecting or waiting for something to connect to it, to figure out if there is a link back to them hiding inside.

Alot of these companies get away with this stuff legally in most cases, but if they try going past the permissions that they are given, they will cross that line from legal to illegal, and risk losing their scamish operation to the authorities and jail time (if someone goes digging that is and depending on their local laws)

Technically at this point, they are not hacking, Instead they are tricking you and you are allowing your self to be tricked.

Once they try getting in after you turn them down, then they might be crossing that threshold.

12 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

RIP

There is no other solution I'd trust in this situation other than wiping the whole PC and installing windows fresh.

That's a sin though.

Screw scammers.