Whole motherboard cooling?

AT0MAC

I just watched a video of Der8auer dipping a full motherboard in 3M Novec 7100. That stuff is crazy expensive! (he even have a system were everything is in similar fluid)

Made me think if there is a point in doing it to keep board components cooled off, and if there is a cheaper way?

I like the Koolance fluids and am wondering if something similar could be done with 705 coolant?

Should not be crazy difficult to make a plexi basin around my already horizontal mounted motherboard, just dont want to fry it or even do it if it makes no point

My Gaming PC: 27833

Just now, AT0MAC said:

I just watched a video of Der8auer dipping a full motherboard in 3M Novec 7100. That stuff is crazy expensive! (he even have a system were everything is in similar fluid)

Made me think if there is a point in doing it to keep board components cooled off, and if there is a cheaper way?

I like the Koolance fluids and am wondering if something similar could be done with 705 coolant?

Should not be crazy difficult to make a plexi basin around my already horizontal mounted motherboard, just dont want to fry it or even do it if it makes no point

Only other way is mineral oil cooling as it's inert like novec, any watercooling fluid overtime will become conductive as it picks up ions from metal components. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Only other way is mineral oil cooling as it's inert like novec, any watercooling fluid overtime will become conductive as it picks up ions from metal components. 

ok, would it make sense to do it? i would only do it like 1cm above the board, so its keeping board components cooler than standard

even mineral oil systems need some sort of active cooling solution tough, as otherwise the oil will just heat up untill it is the same temp as the components inside.

Get an EK-FB ASUS M9H or the bitspower equivalent.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, AT0MAC said:

ok, would it make sense to do it? i would only do it like 1cm above the board, so its keeping board components cooler than standard

You would need much more fluid than 1cm, it wouldn't be able to transfer and move the heat away quick enough as oil is less efficient at cooling than regular distilled water unless you had a constant flow. You would need a fairly reasonable tank with rads to then transfer the heat from the oil over to the air similar to any liquid cooling loop. 

4 hours ago, RollinLower said:

even mineral oil systems need some sort of active cooling solution tough, as otherwise the oil will just heat up untill it is the same temp as the components inside.

my idea is I would still have the aircooler on the graphics card and a normal water cooling loop on the CPU, so its only for the components on the board level im talking about, would guess it could make a difference if it leveled out the heat to all over the size of the board, instead of keeping it right there were the components are, as it does in standard, like the chipset is pretty toasty, but components nearby dont get even close to as warm

4 hours ago, Damascus said:

Get an EK-FB ASUS M9H or the bitspower equivalent.

i would actually love to get a mono block, but there is none for the Maximus X Code board I have

Just now, AT0MAC said:

my idea is I would still have the aircooler on the graphics card and a normal water cooling loop on the CPU, so its only for the components on the board level im talking about, would guess it could make a difference if it leveled out the heat to all over the size of the board, instead of keeping it right there were the components are, as it does in standard, like the chipset is pretty toasty, but components nearby dont get even close to as warm

well, if you cover the entire board in a fluid, eventually the fluid will become a equilized temp. so it might be cooling some of the hotter parts like VRMs, tough some of the cooler parts of the board would actually be heated up as a result.

2 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

well, if you cover the entire board in a fluid, eventually the fluid will become a equilized temp. so it might be cooling some of the hotter parts like VRMs, tough some of the cooler parts of the board would actually be heated up as a result.

well then was just a crazy idea, will not do it

1 minute ago, AT0MAC said:

well then was just a crazy idea, will not do it

it definitely could work tough, but you would need to cool the oil somehow. usually people just add a pump and a little 120mm rad to their oil-cooled rigs, using the actual oil filled part with the components in it as a reservoir. this should be doable in your case aswell! 

just need to find the room for all the components of another cooling loop :P

7 minutes ago, AT0MAC said:

i would actually love to get a mono block, but there is none for the Maximus X Code board I have

According to an EK rep the EK-FB ASUS M9H is compatible.  Why else would I mention a block by name lol

http://www.overclock.net/forum/18067-ek-water-blocks/1639460-ek-fb-asus-m9h-monoblock-compatible-z370-maximus-hero.html

You can use even regular kitchen oil (though most regular kitchen oil can sometimes have a bunch of water)

You have to use some good epoxy to coat all the areas with very dense power connections (the underside of the cpu socket, and around the socket) and the VRM regulator (cover all but the top of the chips where you put the paste/thermal pads with epoxy, it should be fairly safe.  Otherwise, the oil is just not clean enough and there can be shorts between pins on the bottom of the pcb at the cpu socket.

21 hours ago, Damascus said:

According to an EK rep the EK-FB ASUS M9H is compatible.  Why else would I mention a block by name lol

http://www.overclock.net/forum/18067-ek-water-blocks/1639460-ek-fb-asus-m9h-monoblock-compatible-z370-maximus-hero.html

but thats the Maximus Hero, mine is the Maximus X Code, do they share layouts? Its not mentioned in the thread you link to that the X Code is also compatible

EDIT: Im looking at the two boards in detail and looks like you might be right, but as I see it I would have to strip my X Code of its amour to make it fit a full block, and then there was no real point in buying the X Code in the first place, it will look like any other ASUS

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-HERO/gallery/

vs

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-CODE/gallery/

2 minutes ago, AT0MAC said:

but thats the Maximus Hero, mine is the Maximus X Code, do they share layouts? Its not mentioned in the thread you link to that the X Code is also compatible

Oh damn, sorry.  Have you considered a universal block?

http://koolance.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=66

Just now, Damascus said:

Oh damn, sorry.  Have you considered a universal block?

http://koolance.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=66

should just have bought the X Formula, actually not much difference in price to the X Code. anyway, i will not cool it, i will learn to live with it :)

Yeah, it's a bummer.  Afaik they haven't  changed the layout but as you mentioned earlier you'd need to heavily mod the armor.