First Budget Build

Alexander H

If you can find a i3 8100 and 1060 @ retail it's a great build.

If not and you need a computer now, a 1050 ti would be the way to go as it seems to be holding its RRP.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Used market GTX 980

Then I want to use a older cpu. I either want to use new current parts or older parts together.

Just now, Alexander H said:

Then I want to use a older cpu. I either want to use new current parts or older parts together.

no use the new cpu, gor for the 8100 but then find a used 980 or 970, they will go together well

Main PC (The Silencer): CPU - i5 8400 | Cooler - Noctua ND-D15 | Motherboard - Asus tuf Z370 Plus Gaming | Memory - Team Dark 16GB DDR4 2400MHz | Graphics card - Nvidia 750 ti | Storage - Crucial MX500 500GB, WD Blue 2TB | Case - Fractal Design Define R6 | PSU - Evga Supernova 650W 80+ Platinum

1 minute ago, ExplosiveSloths said:

If you can find a i3 8100 and 1060 @ retail it's a great build.

If not and you need a computer now, a 1050 ti would be the way to go as it seems to be holding its RRP.

I can wait considering I have a PS4.

ps: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DdKCpb

about the price that's as low as you can get, atm it's totally not worth to build a new rig if you don't have a graphics card already, plus you would be using a high end mobo with a regular non overclockable cpu and that's kinda overkill, you should wait for the H series boards or upgrade your current build, if you have the 4460 that's a good cpu mate you don't have a celeron or pentium you can call junk, idk about your board but if you can put a 4790k and a good cooler on it you could still enjoy games for 2+ years

same about the graphics card, if your current one is a low end card you could get something better and even with the 4460 it would run games perfectly at 1080p

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

4 minutes ago, Alexander H said:

That makes no sense, at all.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, aezakmi said:

ps: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DdKCpb

about the price that's as low as you can get, atm it's totally not worth to build a new rig if you don't have a graphics card already, plus you would be using a high end mobo with a regular non overclockable cpu and that's kinda overkill, you should wait for the H series boards or upgrade your current build, if you have the 4460 that's a good cpu mate you don't have a celeron or pentium you can call junk, idk about your board but if you can put a 4790k and a good cooler on it you could still enjoy games for 2+ years

same about the graphics card, if your current one is a low end card you could get something better and even with the 4460 it would run games perfectly at 1080p

I am new to PC. Broke so saving up. The i3 is better than the i5 and cheaper. I would like matx mobo that is not insanely overpriced, but still has rgb for small accent lighting. If not, I can just change my list and chose a 8350K 

6 minutes ago, Alexander H said:

Why then? That GTX 980 performs quite a bit better than a GTX 1060 3GB. CPUs have no shortage right now, just GPUs.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, Alexander H said:

I am new to PC. Broke so saving up. The i3 is better than the i5 and cheaper. I would like matx mobo that is not insanely overpriced, but still has rgb for small accent lighting. If not, I can just change my list and chose a 8350K 

Just get a i3/R3 1200 and a GTX 980. It will give you better performance than the GTX 1060 3GB.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

That makes no sense, at all.

That;s just me. I'd rather parts that came out around the same time. For example: Hasswell and DDR3, So a GTX 900 series is good. And Kaby/Coffee Lake and DDR4, so a GTX 10 Series. Can you see why?

1 minute ago, JDE said:

Just get a i3/R3 1200 and a GTX 980. It will give you better performance than the GTX 1060 3GB.

980 is still relatively more expensive even if it's used and it takes way more power than a 1060 

1 minute ago, Alexander H said:

That;s just me. I'd rather parts that came out around the same time. For example: Hasswell and DDR3, So a GTX 900 series is good. And Kaby/Coffee Lake and DDR4, so a GTX 10 Series. Can you see why?

Noone can see why, except for you, because  

It makes no sense at all

:)

1 minute ago, Alexander H said:

980 is still relatively more expensive even if it's used and it takes way more power than a 1060 

A 980 is more than $400 USD? Let's look at Seattle craigslist.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/sop/d/msi-gtx-980/6482882821.html

hrm......

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Noone can see why, except for you, because  

It makes no sense at all

I can see why. I just like to use parts that are in the same generation. Plus the new cpus are cheaper than haswell and the older 900 series take more power than the 10 series.

7 minutes ago, Alexander H said:

you have no idea how to pick these parts, that's why. makes zero difference pairing up an older CPU with newer components than with a newer CPU, there's no magical super performance boost for pairing all the newest parts together.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

advice? go for the 8400 if you're not into overclocking because using an 8350k at stock frequency is like having a 4x4 and drive it through the city, I mean there's like $15 difference and you get 2 extra cores which are good if you're only gaming

edit- plus you'd need an extra cooler for the 8350k

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

2 minutes ago, Alexander H said:

I can see why. I just like to use parts that are in the same generation. Plus the new cpus are cheaper than haswell and the older 900 series take more power than the 10 series.

So you like using parts from the same generation because you like using parts that are from the same generation? That's how you explained it to me...

Maxwell doesn't take that much power. The difference between the 1060 and the 980 is 45W. That's not worth anything. Especially considering that the 980 will use a better cooler, as it was a higher end card at the time. So no more noise. And the 980 will perform better in most cases.

Lower end Coffee CPUs cost less than better performing Haswell CPUs. Not really surprising.

I don't see why someone would be against pairing a Ryzen 1200 with a 980, or a 1231 v3 with a 1060. 

:)

17 minutes ago, seon123 said:

So you like using parts from the same generation because you like using parts that are from the same generation? That's how you explained it to me...

Maxwell doesn't take that much power. The difference between the 1060 and the 980 is 45W. That's not worth anything. Especially considering that the 980 will use a better cooler, as it was a higher end card at the time. So no more noise. And the 980 will perform better in most cases.

Lower end Coffee CPUs cost less than better performing Haswell CPUs. Not really surprising.

I don't see why someone would be against pairing a Ryzen 1200 with a 980, or a 1231 v3 with a 1060. 

That's pretty much what I'm saying. Yeah, I know. I'm weird.

49 minutes ago, Alexander H said:

There's no problem using older parts and newer parts, I use a GTX 780 and a Ryzen 5 1600.

No problems at all, not even bottlenecks. An i3-8100 and a GTX 980 would be a pretty good combo.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

18 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

There's no problem using older parts and newer parts, I use a GTX 780 and a Ryzen 5 1600.

No problems at all, not even bottlenecks. An i3-8100 and a GTX 980 would be a pretty good combo.

Really? It's just me thinking that i3's are too weak I guess. 

Don't get me wrong, but why don't you wait for cheaper 8th gen boards to come out, so you don't have to buy something as expensive?

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

13 minutes ago, Jonas_2909 said:

Don't get me wrong, but why don't you wait for cheaper 8th gen boards to come out, so you don't have to buy something as expensive?

Better for future upgrading. Back when I had planned on an 8100, I had no plans to wait for cheaper boards so I could overclock when I upgraded to an 8700K. Obviously that didn't happen and I got Ryzen instead.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!