special dual radiator airflow consideration

Hey there,

I am running a single loop in a self-made case. The only Intake is at the bottom and the only exhaust is in the top. Both places are populated with 420mm Radiators, respectively. And that is the problem: The hot air comming from the bottom radiator is getting sucked into the top radiator, which nearly completely eliminates the top radiators cooling capability. When I have 25°C ambient and my water is at 30°C, the air inside the case gets 29.5°C - that means that the top radiator, which is sucking this 29.5°C air, can not cool down the water any more.

I have thougt about that and have an idea now, but I am not positive about:

Would it be helpful to set up 2 dedicated loops:

- One for the CPU (i7 3770k @ stock, max 60W while gaming), which has a much lower heat output, using the bottom radiator. 

- And the second one for the GPU (GTX 1070 @ 2.2GHz, up to 200W), using the top radiator.

A configuration like that shoud keep the bottom radiator cool and therefore utilize the top radiators cooling capability, which should result in a cooler system after all.

(temp(CPU) + temp(GPU) should be lower then now)

Is that a good idea? It is my first loop and I have really no experience :( so any thougts are highly appreciated!

BTW, the case features a 90° inverted layout, which results in a very nice bottom-to-top airflow. Because of that, adding Fans in the front or back is no option - I think 6 fans is enough anyway :P 

thanks in advance!

flammen

20180114_144839.JPG

20180114_144748.JPG

20180114_144804.JPG

2 hours ago, flammen said:

-

Long story short: bad idea. One single loop will almost always outperform dual loops.

Idle temperatures should not be a concern when you think about the temperatures. Its when the water is getting 40-55 degrees when the radiators start to shine. Your components are very low heat generating anyway so it's going to be a none factor with 820mm radiator space.

The flip side of the coin however is that you have so much radiator space for just 2 components so it legit won't matter how you do it.

Thanks for the reply!

Water temps are not a concern, I rarely get a 10 Kelvin Delta under full system load. It is just academic, for optimizing it as much as possible. Also I want to upgrade to a 6-core in the near future.

It makes a lot of sense that a single loop distributes the heat more and outperformes dual loop configurations.

Hypothetically, if I would build a dual loop system anyway: How hot would the CPU loop get? (The CPU is again a i7 3770k @ stock) The radiator is a low fin density 36mm thick (XSPC EX420) with 3 Noctua NF-A14 at fix 500 rpm. It is not a high-performance 420 rad, but still a 420 rad. Maybe someone could give me a good guess?

Thanks a lot!

flammen

6 minutes ago, flammen said:

-

"not very hot" is as far as I'm going to say. Only somebody who has the exact same setup will be able to give you an answer on this one.

If you want to improve your CPU temps with a minor degradation to your GPU temps, doing what you described should work.

If you don't use a side panel, you will solve your problems and increase the overall performance by changing top to in take also.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

Thank you for your thoughts!

Does changing the GPU temperature from about 45°C under load to say 50°C or 55°C impact the GPU overclock? I heard that Pascal GPUs start dynamically dropping frequency only when they hit 60°C - is that true?

I really dont want to loose my side panel, because of the dismantled PSU inside, but thanks for the idea!

flammen

I’d rather go single loop. But when I game th cpu is either maxed out or above 50/60%. Plenty of heat regardless. 

As as far as gpu clock, it starts dropping at 39/40c. Which shouldnt be an issue with the amount of space you have. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Thanks for your reply!

I am wondering if anyone has ever build a dual loop, which can be transformed into a single loop if needed and vice versa. You just open the valves to get a single loop-like configuration, where water is exchanged between the loops and every component can use the total radiator space. Or you close the valves and seperate the loops from each other. I made a schematic sketch below.

Is there any major downside to this "customizable" solution? I could not find anything obout.

flammen

single_dual.png

That would be a dual loop no matter how you look at it. 

Work wouldn't be worth the benefits, not like there are any to be had.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz