Make soft tubing look like hard tubing?

AlenNN

So I had an idea of buying a bunch of angled fittings and keeping the runs rather short. My question is has anyone done this before and how did it turn out?

3 minutes ago, TheRapidGamer said:

So I had an idea of buying a bunch of angled fittings and keeping the runs rather short. My question is has anyone done this before and how did it turn out?

I had one or two "straight" runs with soft tubing and it's actually much harder to get it to stay straight, especially if you try to install it inside the case, since you need some slack to fit it over the barbs. If you do it outside of the case, you can move the components instead of the tubing to do that though.

but.. i mean... why???

If you're worried about bending hard tubes, first, it's really not that hard, but second you can do the same things you're proposing with hard tubing too! you could even use glass then, which looks awesome. Not sure why you would bother doing all that fitting stuff with soft tubing, that kinda defeats it's main advantage.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

Might buy the stuff needed but really afraid of doing it since its my first time.

34 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

I had one or two "straight" runs with soft tubing and it's actually much harder to get it to stay straight, especially if you try to install it inside the case, since you need some slack to fit it over the barbs. If you do it outside of the case, you can move the components instead of the tubing to do that though.

but.. i mean... why???

If you're worried about bending hard tubes, first, it's really not that hard, but second you can do the same things you're proposing with hard tubing too! you could even use glass then, which looks awesome. Not sure why you would bother doing all that fitting stuff with soft tubing, that kinda defeats it's main advantage.

Im not using glass 100% im scared ill break that or crack it and you need a lot of sanding to make it perfect and cutting is weird so i might just go for hard tubing instead...

2 minutes ago, TheRapidGamer said:

Im not using glass 100% im scared ill break that or crack it and you need a lot of sanding to make it perfect and cutting is weird so i might just go for hard tubing instead...

It's actually very sturdy, and easy to sand. But I can understand your concerns...

definitely should do hard tubing in some way though if you're already decided on wasting that amount of money on fittings :D

I would advise PETG over acrylic because I personally have no end of frustrations cutting acrylic, but if you don't mind cutting it then it is a bit clearer than PETG

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

17 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

It's actually very sturdy, and easy to sand. But I can understand your concerns...

definitely should do hard tubing in some way though if you're already decided on wasting that amount of money on fittings :D

I would advise PETG over acrylic because I personally have no end of frustrations cutting acrylic, but if you don't mind cutting it then it is a bit clearer than PETG

We do a lot of stuff with acrylic at school and cutting it is a nigtmare.

Just now, TheRapidGamer said:

We do a lot of stuff with acrylic at school and cutting it is a nigtmare.

19 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

And i dont know if ek even has acrylic tubes

Just now, TheRapidGamer said:

And i dont know if ek even has acrylic tubes

Didn't know EK was the only company in the world ;)

but like I said, I still recommend PETG anyways. you can cut it with a soft tubing cutter too, which is just easier in general

7 hours ago, tarfeef101 said:

Didn't know EK was the only company in the world ;)

but like I said, I still recommend PETG anyways. you can cut it with a soft tubing cutter too, which is just easier in general

Hey man i live like 10km away from their warehouse  so its easy to buy the things i need and get them quick. 

EK does have acrylic tubing in two sizes:

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/accessories/solid-tubing/acrylic

Should be fine unless you need specifically 13mm tubing (which I can understand since for many 12mm might a bit too small and 16mm a bit too big).

Cutting it isn't difficult if you have the right tools (aka a dremel). I have tried to use a saw and this thing isn't for me. Generally investing in a dremel or dremel-like tool is a good idea, nice to have around for all kinds of stuff. Just need to use something for eye protection if you are using it for polishing the edges, lots of stuff flies around.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones