4K Upgrade Advice...

rarifiedbovine

I'm looking to move my theater setup into the 4K realm. Currently, I have a BenQ W1070 projector (1080p, obviously). I also have a 4K TV in the other room and a 4K monitor for my PC, but what I am most curious about is experiencing HDR for gaming--people keep saying it rules.

My first thought was to get one of the DLP 4K projectors, as there are a few sub-$2K ones now, or maybe even the Dell short throw laser projector (though that would not work as a simple swap with my current setup). But reading a bunch of reviews, I'm seeing that HDR only fully works its magic on a traditional display, as projectors are not really bright enough to show the enhanced contrast. So, keeping in mind that I'd like to spend under $5K total, what is the best way to go?

1.)Get a 4K projector like the Optomas or BenQ. Any preference between those?

2.)Get a 4K HDR TV, mount behind the projector screen, and use as an alternative to the BenQ W1070, at least until 4K projector technology gets better/more affordable. If I go this route, will a standard 2-HDMI-out receiver like the Onkyo 656 be a good way to go? Or will it default to 1080P if there are two displays plugged in (but only one used at any given time). Is a splitter better?

3.)Get a 4K TV and 4K projector, using the TV for games and the projector for movies. Same question regarding the AVR as above.

4.)Something else?

Really looking forward to your answers!

Pretty much the best HDR TV that’s also decent for gaming (in my opinion) are the Samsung QLED (also branded as Q.Lite sometimes) TVs. We got one for our Xbox one x at work and it’s a beauty. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Pretty much the best HDR TV that’s also decent for gaming (in my opinion) are the Samsung QLED (also branded as Q.Lite sometimes) TVs. We got one for our Xbox one x at work and it’s a beauty. 

I see...Thanks!  Any idea how that can work alongside a projector from the same AVR?

8 hours ago, rarifiedbovine said:

I see...Thanks!  Any idea how that can work alongside a projector from the same AVR?

That would entirely depend in the outputs the AVR has. Worst case scenario, you would need an HDMI switch (So long as it supported the minimum HDMI spec you need, eg: 2.1 for HDR).

I personally wouldn't bother with both a projector and a TV, I would just pick one, and if I chose a TV, I'd just get the biggest one they sell (Which is pretty damn big these days).

For example, the Samsung QLED TV's come in sizes all the way up to 88", which is very close to your typical projector screen sizes (100").

Your choice, of course, if you're dead set on doing both. But frankly, for movies, I'd enjoy them more on the Samsung QLED over most projectors anyway. The deeper blacks it can do will look amazing in well mastered Blu-Rays.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 2/2/2018 at 8:31 AM, rarifiedbovine said:

My first thought was to get one of the DLP 4K projectors, as there are a few sub-$2K ones now, or maybe even the Dell short throw laser projector (though that would not work as a simple swap with my current setup). But reading a bunch of reviews, I'm seeing that HDR only fully works its magic on a traditional display, as projectors are not really bright enough to show the enhanced contrast. So, keeping in mind that I'd like to spend under $5K total, what is the best way to go?

You are correct with high intensity needed to present HDR convincingly. A projector can do pretty well if you have a dark room with dark walls and preferably a high gain ALR screen (just don't expect it to pop as much as an LCD or an OLED screen). 

Between the Benq and the Optoma, the Optoma has a higher resolution DMD chip. This results in finer pixels and less overlap, so I'd favor the Optoma. The Benq does look like a decent projector too. Are you looking at the UHD65 or the UHD60? 

If you can tolerate a "smaller" screen, then a TV is much more versatile (you can view it in different lighting conditions). Prices are low this Feb as the 2018 models are around the corner. I think it's a great time to buy.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-82-class-82-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range/5886000.p?skuId=5886000

On 2/1/2018 at 4:31 PM, rarifiedbovine said:

I

2.)Get a 4K HDR TV, mount behind the projector screen, and use as an alternative to the BenQ W1070, at least until 4K projector technology gets better/more affordable. If I go this route, will a standard 2-HDMI-out receiver like the Onkyo 656 be a good way to go? Or will it default to 1080P if there are two displays plugged in (but only one used at any given time). Is a splitter better?

3.)Get a 4K TV and 4K projector, using the TV for games and the projector for movies. Same question regarding the AVR as above.

Onkyo's documentation says this:

"The dual HDMI outputs can simultaneously output the same HDMI audio/video signal to two TVs (video is output at the resolution supported by both TVs)."

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-U0DePhTphWY/p_580TXN656/Onkyo-TX-NR656.html

Which implies it will output at the lowest common denominator; thus, a splitter or switch will be needed.

I would also second the notion of not bothering with the projector.  The image quality difference is very high and it sounds like your budget is large enough to allow a large TV (65" QLEDs are around $2500; OLEDs about twice that).  Obviously, the decision is yours, but if 65" is a reasonable size for you, then you could buy a 65" QLED and try it for a while.  If you want larger, then you'd still have some money in your budget for a projector.

2 minutes ago, Blasteque said:

Onkyo's documentation says this:

"The dual HDMI outputs can simultaneously output the same HDMI audio/video signal to two TVs (video is output at the resolution supported by both TVs)."

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-U0DePhTphWY/p_580TXN656/Onkyo-TX-NR656.html

Which implies it will output at the lowest common denominator; thus, a splitter or switch will be needed.

I would also second the notion of not bothering with the projector.  The image quality difference is very high and it sounds like your budget is large enough to allow a large TV (65" QLEDs are around $2500; OLEDs about twice that).  Obviously, the decision is yours, but if 65" is a reasonable size for you, then you could buy a 65" QLED and try it for a while.  If you want larger, then you'd still have some money in your budget for a projector.

The key work there is "can output", not "will output". Obviously, I cannot confirm this, since I do not own that Receiver, but I would interpret that text to suggest that you can configure the receiver to either output to one or the other, or to both, at a common resolution.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

The key work there is "can output", not "will output". Obviously, I cannot confirm this, since I do not own that Receiver, but I would interpret that text to suggest that you can configure the receiver to either output to one or the other, or to both, at a common resolution.

Humm, I guess I took this: "(video is output at the resolution supported by both TVs)" to mean it would only output a resolution that is supported by both devices.  That would by far be the easiest thing for Onkyo to implement, so it seems reasonable; it's not that expensive of a receiver...

4 minutes ago, Blasteque said:

Humm, I guess I took this: "(video is output at the resolution supported by both TVs)" to mean it would only output a resolution that is supported by both devices.  That would by far be the easiest thing for Onkyo to implement, so it seems reasonable; it's not that expensive of a receiver...

Yes, but I didn't take that phrase to be a determinate term.

I interpreted it as saying, if you output to both displays at once, it will match a common resolution. Putting an HDMI output switch inside the Receiver would be ridiculously easy for Onkyo to do.

Hell, they already have an HDMI input switch, as does pretty much every modern receiver.

12 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Yes, but I didn't take that phrase to be a determinate term.

I interpreted it as saying, if you output to both displays at once, it will match a common resolution. Putting an HDMI output switch inside the Receiver would be ridiculously easy for Onkyo to do.

Hell, they already have an HDMI input switch, as does pretty much every modern receiver.

Ahh, I see what you mean.  Does the receiver have the ability to basically function as an HDMI output switch?  That isn't clear.  Onkyo docs refer to the outputs as a "Main" and "Sub", not as "parallel", so the possibility is there.  It still doesn't seem likely based on the price, but yes, I agree with you.

Editted to remove ambiguity.

Just now, Blasteque said:

Ahh, I see what you mean.  Does the receiver have the ability to basically function as a switch?  That isn't clear.  Onkyo docs refer to the outputs as a "Main" and "Sub", not as "parallel", so the possibility is there.  It still doesn't seem likely based on the price, but yes, I agree with you.

Indeed, what does "Sub" even mean in this context?

But yes, the receiver already has an HDMI switch built into it - as does every modern receiver. Just look at the multiple inputs. That's an HDMI switch right there.