a router question

stianm3
Go to solution Solved by mynameisjuan,
1 minute ago, stianm3 said:

im baislcy asking if i go out and buy a random router rename the network and change the password to the one i have now will my phone connect automaticly?

Thats not at all what it seemed what you were asking but...

Yes, if you match the SSID and password with the same encryption, most devices will indeed just connect right up. I dont get what the big concern of this is in the first place though? 

my friend just called me someone broke into his boat and his router and some other things where stolen he suspect the person who he borrowed the router from since his phone automaticly connected to the "new" router his friend got right after this break in so my question is as he said "i just changed the password and name to the same as the old one" will this make the phone connect? i have a feeling it cant but im not sure 

is there anyone out who wants to be a crime fighter today? 

Cpu: intel i7 4790k    Motherboard: MSI GAMING 5   GPU:Nvidia GTX 980Ti   PSU: Corsair AX 760 PSU  RAM:Crucial DDR3 Ballistix Tactical 24GB RG  SSD: OZC Vertex 4 128GB  HDD: 2x1tb WD  Case: Thermaltake Level 10GT Snow edition! 

is it the same make and model router , that would be a pretty big indication

do they have the box and receipt for the replacement router?

Just now, emosun said:

is it the same make and model router , that would be a pretty big indication

do they have the box and receipt for the replacement router?

not sure he kinda dont wanna point fingers if there is no evidence he havent even seen the "new" router

Cpu: intel i7 4790k    Motherboard: MSI GAMING 5   GPU:Nvidia GTX 980Ti   PSU: Corsair AX 760 PSU  RAM:Crucial DDR3 Ballistix Tactical 24GB RG  SSD: OZC Vertex 4 128GB  HDD: 2x1tb WD  Case: Thermaltake Level 10GT Snow edition! 

Just now, stianm3 said:

he havent even seen the "new" router

how does he own/connect to a router he can't physically see

Just now, emosun said:

how does he own/connect to a router he can't physically see

he walked by the "suspects" boat where the router was befor he borrowed it and lost it in the break in

i mean if his phone connected to it with no password entering even though the network is password protected and it has the same name then yea it's probably his

1 hour ago, emosun said:

i mean if his phone connected to it with no password entering even though the network is password protected and it has the same name then yea it's probably his

thats what has happened yes but as i said its not rly his but the suspect's he dont give a shit about the router but there is more then the router missing when this person might have decided to go and get what was his without telling he needed it back again 

21 minutes ago, stianm3 said:

thats what has happened yes but as i said its not rly his but the suspect's he dont give a shit about the router but there is more then the router missing when this person might have decided to go and get what was his without telling he needed it back again 

Please use periods. Its very hard to read your sentences.

But as for the topic, connecting to a router might be a quick way of narrowing it down. But its not enough evidence to prove he stole other things. 

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Please use periods. Its very hard to read your sentences.

But as for the topic, connecting to a router might be a quick way of narrowing it down. But its not enough evidence to prove he stole other things. 

im baislcy asking if i go out and buy a random router rename the network and change the password to the one i have now will my phone connect automaticly?

1 minute ago, stianm3 said:

Yes, if you match the SSID and password with the same encryption, most devices will indeed just connect right up. I dont get what the big concern of this is in the first place though? 

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

this might prove who might have stolen his shit or not if you would have answared no not at all he is the one who broke in to his boat and stole his tings but since you said that he might just have gone out and gotten a new router 

5 hours ago, stianm3 said:

this might prove who might have stolen his shit or not if you would have answared no not at all he is the one who broke in to his boat and stole his tings but since you said that he might just have gone out and gotten a new router 

If the person was smart, they would just factory reset the router and then it would not have the same SSID or passcode, as that stuff can be changed easily. All you can do is call the police and file a report. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

9 hours ago, stianm3 said:

my friend just called me someone broke into his boat and his router and some other things where stolen he suspect the person who he borrowed the router from since his phone automaticly connected to the "new" router his friend got right after this break in so my question is as he said "i just changed the password and name to the same as the old one" will this make the phone connect? i have a feeling it cant but im not sure 

is there anyone out who wants to be a crime fighter today? 

has he ever attached his smartphone to the router?

have you?

do you share same phone provider service?

is router attached to landline service where stored?

do you know routers mac address and serial number?

with all this data and police report to activate all isp systems involved the moment(not a joke either with way info autoshared) the thief powers on router any nearby routers(if wifi capable) will know its their and if told to report if hear this id data(isp modems ask connected router listen for device)

now stolen router is ratted out by devices they never thought could be listening(cell phone wifi thru carriers all call points bulletin(we never see as its system only) request in area where theft occured)

so is it worth it to be a thief?

maybe yes but not in electronics as everything has wifi now

so get your police report so system can be activated