Upgrade worth it?

Hey so I have a kind of specific question about upgrading so the general info I keep finding in my research online doesn't seem to help.

I bought a (I know please don't hate me too much) prebuilt system last year when I first wanted to get into PC gaming. link to that here: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-desktop-intel-core-i7-7700-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-120gb-solid-state-drive-1tb-hard-drive-gray-black/6032004.p?skuId=6032004.

I got the PC upgrade bug and bought some extra fans and a cooler master hyper 212 evo for extra cooling.

I also upgraded the 1060 to an Asus ROG Strix 1080 (thankfully before all of this mining destroyed the market for the pricing)

I am looking to do sli in the (near) future and --may-- decide to bite the bullet and buy a price gouged 1080 with my tax return. My problem is that my mobo does NOT support sli. My CPU is also a 7700 non k.

Since I will have to buy a new mobo anyways...(Getting to my question here finally...I'm sorry)...does it make sense to upgrade to the z370 platform and also buy an 8th gen CPU? Or should I buy a z270 mobo and wait out the 9th gen CPU for upgrading?

I DO intend to overclock the CPU if I get a k series. Also would I be better with 8700k or 8600k for gaming if I'm buying new? Looking for future compatibility as I don't always have free money so it might be 3-4 years before I can afford to sink more money into my system.

Basically, is the performance gain of an OC 8600k or 8700k worth it over my 7700 non-k for $260 or $370? I just feel like I'm wasting my money buying a last gen mobo...

Also will I need an aio for the OC 8600k or 8700k? Or will the hyper 212 evo be able to handle the heat?

(I have so many specific questions, and I've just been trying to learn everything on my own...is a PC personal assistant a thing? I feel like I could use a consultation haha)

Thoughts?

Don't SLI, it's not worth it at all.

I would say get an 8700K and a Z370 board if you can afford it. You can overclock on an air cooler such as the bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, but I would recommend an AIO liquid cooler if your case will fit one.  The Hyper 212 will not be able to handle the heat, either of those chips run pretty hot.

Welcome to the forums!

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Shurkuss said:

Hey so I have a kind of specific question about upgrading so the general info I keep finding in my research online doesn't seem to help.

I bought a (I know please don't hate me too much) prebuilt system last year when I first wanted to get into PC gaming. link to that here: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-desktop-intel-core-i7-7700-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-120gb-solid-state-drive-1tb-hard-drive-gray-black/6032004.p?skuId=6032004.

I got the PC upgrade bug and bought some extra fans and a cooler master hyper 212 evo for extra cooling.

I also upgraded the 1060 to an Asus ROG Strix 1080 (thankfully before all of this mining destroyed the market for the pricing)

I am looking to do sli in the (near) future and --may-- decide to bite the bullet and buy a price gouged 1080 with my tax return. My problem is that my mobo does NOT support sli. My CPU is also a 7700 non k.

Since I will have to buy a new mobo anyways...(Getting to my question here finally...I'm sorry)...does it make sense to upgrade to the z370 platform and also buy an 8th gen CPU? Or should I buy a z270 mobo and wait out the 9th gen CPU for upgrading?

I DO intend to overclock the CPU if I get a k series. Also would I be better with 8700k or 8600k for gaming if I'm buying new? Looking for future compatibility as I don't always have free money so it might be 3-4 years before I can afford to sink more money into my system.

Basically, is the performance gain of an OC 8600k or 8700k worth it over my 7700 non-k for $260 or $370? I just feel like I'm wasting my money buying a last gen mobo...

Also will I need an aio for the OC 8600k or 8700k? Or will the hyper 212 evo be able to handle the heat?

(I have so many specific questions, and I've just been trying to learn everything on my own...is a PC personal assistant a thing? I feel like I could use a consultation haha)

Thoughts?

for gaming purposes, the 8600k is fine.  the 8700k would be good if you do video editing or streaming and gaming at the same time but still the 8600k would be able to do that.  The z270 platform is dying and is not worth going with.  Also dont go SLI.  You will be wasting your money that could be spent on a better cooler or other upgrades in the future. Also the 212 evo would not be able to support an overclock on either the 8600k or 8700k.  Personally i would get an aio maybe corsairs new h150 pro?  just a suggestion but hopefully this answered most of your questions.  Also welcome to the forums!!!

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

11 minutes ago, Shurkuss said:

snip

5 minutes ago, xdeathshot20 said:

snip

i'd say don't sli,  a single 1080 prob works like a dream still, and some gaMES depending dont work well w sli

yet....

id upgrade that cpu if you cant in a few years..

<3

MF UH BEANS

There is a bit of a flaw in logic here.  You want SLI, but shouldn't do it.  You don't NEED a new CPU but just want it.  

My advice, keep your current system.  In a few months the new Intel and Ryzen CPUs will be available and you'll have your pick of the litter.

A 1080 will still be a beast then.

7 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

There is a bit of a flaw in logic here.  You want SLI, but shouldn't do it.  You don't NEED a new CPU but just want it.  

My advice, keep your current system.  In a few months the new Intel and Ryzen CPUs will be available and you'll have your pick of the litter.

A 1080 will still be a beast then.

"does it make sense to upgrade to the z370 platform and also buy an 8th gen CPU? Or should I buy a z270 mobo and wait out the 9th gen CPU for upgrading?

Basically, is the performance gain of an OC 8600k or 8700k worth it over my 7700 non-k for $260 or $370? I just feel like I'm wasting my money buying a last gen mobo..."

I didn't say anything about need ... I asked if the performance gains were worth the extra money versus just just buying a new mobo for the 270.

This is definitely a "for fun" upgrade. My system is running great right now and this has been a fun experience getting into the PC world :). No issues so far with any games or anything.... I just feel very trapped with a locked processor running 3.6 GHz up to 4.2 GHz turbo on a single core....I played with OC'ing the gpu and now I wanna do the CPU too haha

2 minutes ago, Shurkuss said:

"does it make sense to upgrade to the z370 platform and also buy an 8th gen CPU? Or should I buy a z270 mobo and wait out the 9th gen CPU for upgrading?

Basically, is the performance gain of an OC 8600k or 8700k worth it over my 7700 non-k for $260 or $370? I just feel like I'm wasting my money buying a last gen mobo..."

I didn't say anything about need ... I asked if the performance gains were worth the extra money versus just just buying a new mobo for the 270.

This is definitely a "for fun" upgrade. My system is running great right now and this has been a fun experience getting into the PC world :). No issues so far with any games or anything.... I just feel very trapped with a locked processor running 3.6 GHz up to 4.2 GHz turbo on a single core....I played with OC'ing the gpu and now I wanna do the CPU too haha

I know the feeling, I started with a prebuild too  hehe.

If you can wait, then get a Ryzen plus or z470 when it comes out.  If not, get an 8700K.  It is cream of the crop for gaming right now.  Those will last you the longest between upgrades.

5 minutes ago, Shurkuss said:

If it is a for fun upgrade, why ask what is the best decision? Clearly the best decision is not to spend 500 dollars on a 1080, it is to wait for the next gen of cards.

Clearly the best decision for the 7700 is not to upgrade but keep it until it bottlenecks you. I still have a 6700k and 1080 and its running strong. Don't ask the forums for the best choice if your goal is to have some fun OC'ing. If you want fun, get an 8600k. If you want to be smart, wait until z270 is actually obsolete. The 4th gen CPU's are still going strong, so there's no need to update just yet :) . Welcome to the forums. 

Also, if you really want to have some fun- get into liquid cooling and get sell your 7700 and Mobo for a 8600k and motherboard then try out one of the kits that ekwb has. Thats what my plan is, since my 1080 amp is running hot and my 6700k isn't OC'd to its limits just yet. :)

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

Honestly I would ride the CPU/MB/GPU until the i7-9x00 launches.  You are likely not going to see huge gains from going to i5-8500/i7-8700 unless you do LOTS of game streaming or 3d/video rendering.