Iphones and Exchange Calender not syncing

Dujith

After the server with exchange on it crashed and i had to replay the mailbox to get it up an running again (log files and database were out of sync, due to the crash)

The Iphones in the company stopped syncing the calendar, they do however sync the mailbox without any issue.

What we have:

Exchange 2010 with the latest SP.

2 Iphones (1x 7 and 1x 6) and a random assortment of Android phones (Galaxy 8, LG G6, HTC M8, and a few tablets from Samsung)

What i checked:

Checked the mailbox database once more: no errors

Checked priveliges

Checked the Android devices: some had the same calendar issue, but those were resolved by removing the account from the device and reinstalling it.

Checked the Iphone devices: same as the android devices, but removing the account and creating it again did not help.

Installed Outlook on the Iphones: Calendar is viewable and new appointments show up as soon as i create them on the computer.

I know this has something todo with the crash of the database as i had to reinstall the account on the android devices. 

Since the Outlook app on the Iphones does work i'm guessing its something stuck/corrupt in the iphone Itself?

Will test that next week as today my coworker dropped his Iphone 6 and it need to be repaired (butter fingers :D ) and he will get a 7 that we have laying around in stock.

Looking around online i get that there are quite some problems with the exchange client for IOS. But it worked perfectly before, so no reason why it should not now.

Anyone has experience with this issue or something i missed to check?

9 hours ago, Dujith said:

After the server with exchange on it crashed and i had to replay the mailbox to get it up an running again (log files and database were out of sync, due to the crash)

The Iphones in the company stopped syncing the calendar, they do however sync the mailbox without any issue.

What we have:

Exchange 2010 with the latest SP.

2 Iphones (1x 7 and 1x 6) and a random assortment of Android phones (Galaxy 8, LG G6, HTC M8, and a few tablets from Samsung)

What i checked:

Checked the mailbox database once more: no errors

Checked priveliges

Checked the Android devices: some had the same calendar issue, but those were resolved by removing the account from the device and reinstalling it.

Checked the Iphone devices: same as the android devices, but removing the account and creating it again did not help.

Installed Outlook on the Iphones: Calendar is viewable and new appointments show up as soon as i create them on the computer.

I know this has something todo with the crash of the database as i had to reinstall the account on the android devices. 

Since the Outlook app on the Iphones does work i'm guessing its something stuck/corrupt in the iphone Itself?

Will test that next week as today my coworker dropped his Iphone 6 and it need to be repaired (butter fingers :D ) and he will get a 7 that we have laying around in stock.

Looking around online i get that there are quite some problems with the exchange client for IOS. But it worked perfectly before, so no reason why it should not now.

Anyone has experience with this issue or something i missed to check?

Are you using Autodiscover to connect or IMAP?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

21 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Are you using Autodiscover to connect or IMAP?

Autodiscover

10 hours ago, Dujith said:

Autodiscover

Sorry for the late reply.. Can you create a test mailbox and see if it would to do the same,

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

On 28-1-2018 at 9:49 AM, Abdul201588 said:

Sorry for the late reply.. Can you create a test mailbox and see if it would to do the same,

Also sorry for the late reply :P , Will try that later this week. Tho it might be resolved by then,

the one who repaired the crashed exchange database said he might have an idea and is looking at it now too.

Not at the office atm and wont be till later this week. 

Since recent iOS updates, there are some issues (which will likely be permanent for the built-in mail and calendar apps) with Exchange servers that run on a self-signed certificate. Do you use a self-signed certificate on the Exchange server or not? If not, this is unrelated :) 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

12 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Since recent iOS updates, there are some issues (which will likely be permanent for the built-in mail and calendar apps) with Exchange servers that run on a self-signed certificate. Do you use a self-signed certificate on the Exchange server or not? If not, this is unrelated :) 

We had problems with the autodiscover since the old certificate did not include that name.

But we since then switched to a wildcard certificate as suggested here also :D 

58 minutes ago, Dujith said:

But we since then switched to a wildcard certificate as suggested here also :D 

Nice! :D 

This is a known issue and very common too. IIRC there was a thread on reddit.com/r/sysadmin about a week ago that contained a few solutions. The best one and the one I went with in the past is moving away from iPhones or going to O365. The next best option is using the outlook app instead of the default. 

I will go looking for that thread should I remember tonight. If not good luck finding it shouldn't be too hard. 

26 minutes ago, KirbyTech said:

This is a known issue and very common too. IIRC there was a thread on reddit.com/r/sysadmin about a week ago that contained a few solutions. The best one and the one I went with in the past is moving away from iPhones or going to O365. The next best option is using the outlook app instead of the default. 

I will go looking for that thread should I remember tonight. If not good luck finding it shouldn't be too hard. 

Yeah, i gathered as much from looking at the many exchange problems with IOS i find :S 

For now the Outlook app is working correctly, will sift through the reddit post and see if anything works for me.

On 1/29/2018 at 2:54 PM, Dujith said:

Yeah, i gathered as much from looking at the many exchange problems with IOS i find :S 

For now the Outlook app is working correctly, will sift through the reddit post and see if anything works for me.

The Outlook App is superior in many ways anyway.

Are these personal devices, or devices owned by the company?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 1/30/2018 at 6:26 AM, KirbyTech said:

going to O365

+1 on that idea :P

may or may not be a very biased view..

8 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Are these personal devices, or devices owned by the company?

Personal devices. Were talking about an 12 man and 1 woman company :D with 5 ppl using the exchange.

3 hours ago, Dujith said:

Personal devices. Were talking about an 12 man and 1 woman company :D with 5 ppl using the exchange.

Just get Exchange Online - is easier

38 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Just get Exchange Online - is easier

Easier yes, just have to discuss that with the one in charge. He is old fashioned in the way the he/the company owns everything we have.

So all our cars, materials, building and so on are his property and nothing is leased /rented. And i have to say that in the years of almost no work a while ago, we survived because of that. While we saw many similar companies go bankrupt :(.

Still, for our needs it would be just 3,40 Euro per month per person. so 5 + 5 (administation and other mailboxes we need) would be 408 Euro per year.

No idea what a new Exchange version would cost. But seeing as we are running server 2008, we would need a new server too :S 

45 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Easier yes, just have to discuss that with the one in charge. He is old fashioned in the way the he/the company owns everything we have.

So all our cars, materials, building and so on are his property and nothing is leased /rented. And i have to say that in the years of almost no work a while ago, we survived because of that. While we saw many similar companies go bankrupt :(.

Still, for our needs it would be just 3,40 Euro per month per person. so 5 + 5 (administation and other mailboxes we need) would be 408 Euro per year.

No idea what a new Exchange version would cost. But seeing as we are running server 2008, we would need a new server too :S 

Keep in mind you can’t compare them like for like - you also get support, an SLA, DNS hosting, spam filtering and more. 

15 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Keep in mind you can’t compare them like for like - you also get support, an SLA, DNS hosting, spam filtering and more. 

Having never used an online host for exchange. I'm wondering a few things.

I had to add a calender that was used by everyone. So now it was a simple case of creating a mailbox and then in powershell set everyone as Reviewer.

Are things like that simple to handle via the online host?

42 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Having never used an online host for exchange. I'm wondering a few things.

I had to add a calender that was used by everyone. So now it was a simple case of creating a mailbox and then in powershell set everyone as Reviewer.

Are things like that simple to handle via the online host?

You’d create a shared mailbox or shared resource for it. 

Also most things you can do via the GUI for Exchange Online.

For reference I work for a Microsoft partner and an  MCSA for Office 365 so ask away with questions about the product :) 

7 hours ago, Dujith said:

If these are personal devices, I'd highly recommend using the Outlook App on iOS then. It will segregate their personal emails into the iOS Mail client, and their work emails into the Outlook client. You don't want employees accidentally mixing work and personal emails.

The Outlook App is also more secure, as you can enable 2FA via TouchID, assuming the iPhone is new enough. That means even if they forgot to lock their phone, and someone stole the phone, they would be unable to open the work emails.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)