Degraded performance/OC after installing GPU AIO

Hello everyone, 

A couple of days ago, I installed a Kraken x52 + Kraken g12 into my Rog Strix GTX 1080 A8G. Before this, my temps weren't that bad, under full load, about 70-71°C (158°F) but the fans were almost at 90% and man, that was pretty loud, so that's why I decided to install the AIO. Once installed, the temps went down to 51-54°C (124°F) and barely can hear the fans on my PC.

The problem here is that I started to notice that the GPU could not be Overclocked anymore, prior installing the AIO, I was able to get into the 2100's Mhz on the Core Clock and now I can barely hit the 1900's Mhz. Also happened with my OC in the CPU, which is a Ryzen 5 1600, prior installing the AIO, I was able to get to 3.85 Ghz and now I'm only able to get up to 3.5 Ghz. The temps on both are really low, like I mentioned before, under load, the GPU stays in the 51-54°C and the CPU stays in the 54-56°C.

NOTE: As my CPU cooler, I haver another AIO, which is the CoolerMaster Master Liquid Lite 120 

I'm not sure if it has to do on how I connect the Kraken x52 cables, but here's how I did it.

• Pump into Fan header and set to MAX RPM
  • Kraken G12 fan into Kraken x52 fan cable + 2 fans from the Rad
  • Micro USB from Kraken x52 into USB 2.0 port in the motherboard

On top of that, my PC randomly crashes, even with the lightest OC and just by being idle. I already set everything to default and ran Prime95 for CPU stress and Heaven benchmark for GPU stress and it seems that the crashes stopped, but I can't figure out why I'm no longer able to OC.

Here are my specs before and after the installation of the second AIO.

Before

OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits  Version    10.0.16299 Build 16299

Case: Phantek Eclipse P400S Tempered glass

• 2 top fans (the ones that came with the case)
  • 2 front fans: InWin Polaris RGB
  • 1 back fan: Rad + fan of the MasterLiquid Lite 120

Motherboard: Rog Strix B350-F Gaming - Latest BIOS from Asus support page (v.3401)

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600

CPU AIO Cooler: Master Liquid Lite 120

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x 8GB 3000 MHz

GPU: Rog Strix GTX 1080 A8G - stock fans

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W P2

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB

HDD: Western Digital 1TB 

Other: Led strip that came with Phantek case

After 

• 4 front fans: InWin Polaris RGB + Kraken x52 fans (I got a push/pull config, the SP fans are pushing and the InWin Polaris pulling, I left those just for the aesthetics) 

GPU AIO Cooler: Kraken x52 + Kraken g12

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

6 hours ago, Alex G. said:

Hello everyone, 

A couple of days ago, I installed a Kraken x52 + Kraken g12 into my Rog Strix GTX 1080 A8G. Before this, my temps weren't that bad, under full load, about 70-71°C (158°F) but the fans were almost at 90% and man, that was pretty loud, so that's why I decided to install the AIO. Once installed, the temps went down to 51-54°C (124°F) and barely can hear the fans on my PC.

The problem here is that I started to notice that the GPU could not be Overclocked anymore, prior installing the AIO, I was able to get into the 2100's Mhz on the Core Clock and now I can barely hit the 1900's Mhz. Also happened with my OC in the CPU, which is a Ryzen 5 1600, prior installing the AIO, I was able to get to 3.85 Ghz and now I'm only able to get up to 3.5 Ghz. The temps on both are really low, like I mentioned before, under load, the GPU stays in the 51-54°C and the CPU stays in the 54-56°C.

NOTE: As my CPU cooler, I haver another AIO, which is the CoolerMaster Master Liquid Lite 120 

I'm not sure if it has to do on how I connect the Kraken x52 cables, but here's how I did it.

• Pump into Fan header and set to MAX RPM
  • Kraken G12 fan into Kraken x52 fan cable + 2 fans from the Rad
  • Micro USB from Kraken x52 into USB 2.0 port in the motherboard

On top of that, my PC randomly crashes, even with the lightest OC and just by being idle. I already set everything to default and ran Prime95 for CPU stress and Heaven benchmark for GPU stress and it seems that the crashes stopped, but I can't figure out why I'm no longer able to OC.

Here are my specs before and after the installation of the second AIO.

Before

OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits  Version    10.0.16299 Build 16299

• 2 front fans: InWin Polaris RGB

Motherboard: Rog Strix B350-F Gaming - Latest BIOS from Asus support page (v.3401)

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600

CPU AIO Cooler: Master Liquid Lite 120

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x 8GB 3000 MHz

GPU: Rog Strix GTX 1080 A8G - stock fans

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W P2

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB

HDD: Western Digital 1TB 

Other: Led strip that came with Phantek case

After 

• 4 front fans: InWin Polaris RGB + Kraken x52 fans (I got a push/pull config, the SP fans are pushing and the InWin Polaris pulling, I left those just for the aesthetics) 

GPU AIO Cooler: Kraken x52 + Kraken g12

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Try redoing your thermal paste.

That's the first step you should take.

Maybe your temperature sensors see everything as fine, but the paste isn't spread evenly enough and there's a bare spot or something not making good contact.

I'm grasping at straws, but it's something to try.

28 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Try redoing your thermal paste.

That's the first step you should take.

Maybe your temperature sensors see everything as fine, but the paste isn't spread evenly enough and there's a bare spot or something not making good contact.

I'm grasping at straws, but it's something to try.

Hey man, thx for the suggestion, I did what you said, reapplied the thermal paste on the GPU, I applied a thin layer over the entire GPU, but unfortunately I'm getting the same results, I can't OC the GPU nor the CPU. Which is weird because in the whole process, I didn't even touch the CPU, so I can't tell why I can't OC the CPU now :( 

Do you think it has something to do with the amount of things that I've connected into the motherboard? I mean, I added a pump and 3 extra fans (1 fan from the Kraken G12 that goes into the VRMs and 2 from the rad)

14 minutes ago, Alex G. said:

Hey man, thx for the suggestion, I did what you said, reapplied the thermal paste on the GPU, I applied a thin layer over the entire GPU, but unfortunately I'm getting the same results, I can't OC the GPU nor the CPU. Which is weird because in the whole process, I didn't even touch the CPU, so I can't tell why I can't OC the CPU now :( 

Do you think it has something to do with the amount of things that I've connected into the motherboard? I mean, I added a pump and 3 extra fans (1 fan from the Kraken G12 that goes into the VRMs and 2 from the rad)

Nah, I don't think that has anything to do with it. You have lots of extra headroom with that power supply. I'm kind of at a loss on this one.

The pump isn't making any weird noises is it?

No other bios settings may have been changed were they?

Just now, stateofpsychosis said:

Nah, I don't think that has anything to do with it. You have lots of extra headroom with that power supply. I'm kind of at a loss on this one.

The pump isn't making any weird noises is it?

When the GPU AIO pump is running at 50% it makes a noise, but  as soon as I set it to Max RPM the noise goes away. As for the CPU AIO pump, as it's connected to the AIO header in the motherboard, its always at 100% and never have made any noise at all. 

2 minutes ago, Alex G. said:

When the GPU AIO pump is running at 50% it makes a noise, but  as soon as I set it to Max RPM the noise goes away. As for the CPU AIO pump, as it's connected to the AIO header in the motherboard, its always at 100% and never have made any noise at all. 

I can't figure this one out.

Lower temps should mean better overclocks.
From what you've said, i can't think of anything you did that would cause OCs to not work as well anymore.

I guess just go through all of the normal, boring troubleshooting steps for now.

Check all of the cable connections next like the CPU power cable and the graphics card PCIe connectors. Unplug them and plug them back in.

4 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

I can't figure this one out.

Lower temps should mean better overclocks.
From what you've said, i can't think of anything you did that would cause OCs to not work as well anymore.

I guess just go through all of the normal, boring troubleshooting steps for now.

Check all of the cable connections next like the CPU power cable and the graphics card PCIe connectors. Unplug them and plug them back in.

I can't thank enough for your help, I'm really desperate here :P ... I'm heading to work now, but as soon as I get home i'll just unplug everything and plug it back again and see if there's any change. 

1 minute ago, Alex G. said:

I can't thank enough for your help, I'm really desperate here :P ... I'm heading to work now, but as soon as I get home i'll just unplug everything and plug it back again and see if there's any change. 

Well, don't get your hopes up. Hopefully someone who's had this issue comments because I have no idea at this point. I'll keep thinking on it though.

4 minutes ago, Alex G. said:

You know..

maybe I just haven't asked the obvious..

have you tried double checking your vcore voltage on your CPU to make sure you're not undervolting the overclock?

Maybe you set it to like 1.14 instead of 1.24 or something silly like that in the rush of things.

28 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

You know..

maybe I just haven't asked the obvious..

have you tried double checking your vcore voltage on your CPU to make sure you're not undervolting the overclock?

Maybe you set it to like 1.14 instead of 1.24 or something silly like that in the rush of things.

Well... Yesterday when I got the crashes, the only thing that was OC was the RAM, with the D.C.O.P profile. Everything else was restored to default (Auto). It was until I completely restored to default (No D.C.O.P profile) when the system was stable enough to handle Prime95 and Valley benchmark.

I believe that the default VDDCR CPU voltage is 1.2V and then I can do an offset of that. I THINK that my offset was +0.10000 when got the crashes. Should I add more offset?

1 hour ago, Alex G. said:

Well... Yesterday when I got the crashes, the only thing that was OC was the RAM, with the D.C.O.P profile. Everything else was restored to default (Auto). It was until I completely restored to default (No D.C.O.P profile) when the system was stable enough to handle Prime95 and Valley benchmark.

I believe that the default VDDCR CPU voltage is 1.2V and then I can do an offset of that. I THINK that my offset was +0.10000 when got the crashes. Should I add more offset?

Okay, is that ram overclock new? Did you add faster ram or enable the XMP profile?

because overclocking ram requires more voltage and that puts more strain on the memory controller on the CPU meaning your CPU overclocks won't go as far.

Check the base clock too. Make sure it's at a normal 100 or only off by a little like 0.10.

No, if I were you I'd keep it simple. I'd change to manual mode and just feed it a set voltage. 

start with 1.2 like where you're at and add 0.05 or so each time stressing it with aida64 and checking temps.

If you can get it to stop crashing and keep your temps under 80 degrees, you're golden.

My i7 4790k is OC'd to 4.7ghz and is at 1.24v for example at 78 degrees after hours of running of running a stress test. I have a 360 AIO on there.

4 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Okay, is that ram overclock new? Did you add faster ram or enable the XMP profile?

because overclocking ram requires more voltage and that puts more strain on the memory controller on the CPU meaning your CPU overclocks won't go as far.

Check the base clock too. Make sure it's at a normal 100 or only off by a little like 0.10.

No, if I were you I'd keep it simple. I'd change to manual mode and just feed it a set voltage. 

start with 1.2 like where you're at and add 0.05 or so each time stressing it with aida64 and checking temps.

If you can get it to stop crashing and keep your temps under 80 degrees, you're golden.

My i7 4790k is OC'd to 4.7ghz and is at 1.24v for example at 78 degrees after hours of running of running a stress test. I have a 360 AIO on there.

No, it's not new, I've activated the XMP profile since the very beginning, even prior installing the second AIO and back then my config was something like 

cpu Multiplier > 38.5

Offset > +.0850 (dont remember the last 2 digits, but it was .08xxx)

RAM > XMP enabled

Ok, I'll check the base clock and start playing around with the multiplier and the offset ... Man, if I'm able to get even to 37.5 I would be more than happy. 

One dumb question, by adding more offset to the CPU voltage, it means that I should be able to get to my previous GPU OC more easily?

2 hours ago, Alex G. said:

No, it's not new, I've activated the XMP profile since the very beginning, even prior installing the second AIO and back then my config was something like 

cpu Multiplier > 38.5

Offset > +.0850 (dont remember the last 2 digits, but it was .08xxx)

RAM > XMP enabled

Ok, I'll check the base clock and start playing around with the multiplier and the offset ... Man, if I'm able to get even to 37.5 I would be more than happy. 

One dumb question, by adding more offset to the CPU voltage, it means that I should be able to get to my previous GPU OC more easily?

Not sure. 

Ask someone who's a hardcore tweaker about that one.

I'm only average and still learning.

I don't think so though.

The voltage is supplied to the GPU through the PCIe cables ain't it?

Are you talking about bottlenecks?

If so, no because it takes really mismatched hardware to get a bottleneck.

5 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Not sure. 

Ask someone who's a hardcore tweaker about that one.

I'm only average and still learning.

I don't think so though.

The voltage is supplied to the GPU through the PCIe cables ain't it?

Are you talking about bottlenecks?

If so, no because it takes really mismatched hardware to get a bottleneck.

This is ridiculuos ... I was able to OC just a little bit from 3.2Ghz to 3.5Ghz also using the XMP profile. I ran a benchmark on RealBench (8 minutes) and 15 minutes of stress test on the same realbench and I got no issues at all, it passed like 10 minutes when I decided to call it a win and close up the case and as soon as I looked away, the PC restarted itself. :( 

10 hours ago, Alex G. said:

This is ridiculuos ... I was able to OC just a little bit from 3.2Ghz to 3.5Ghz also using the XMP profile. I ran a benchmark on RealBench (8 minutes) and 15 minutes of stress test on the same realbench and I got no issues at all, it passed like 10 minutes when I decided to call it a win and close up the case and as soon as I looked away, the PC restarted itself. :( 

That may be unrelated you know. You could have bumped something causing the restart.

2 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

That may be unrelated you know. You could have bumped something causing the restart.

Update: Yesterday I followed the guide that I sent you on the other post, and was able to get to 3.75Ghz ... Maybe I could get up to 3.8Ghz but didn't wanted to add more voltage. Still, was able to get to that 3.75 with less voltage than prior installing the second AIO. Next step is to OC the GPU and see how much I can get. 

The main question of the post is still unanswered tho, why the OC got worst by installing the new AIO :(

Sorry for the spam :P 

6 minutes ago, Alex G. said:

Update: Yesterday I followed the guide that I sent you on the other post, and was able to get to 3.75Ghz ... Maybe I could get up to 3.8Ghz but didn't wanted to add more voltage. Still, was able to get to that 3.75 with less voltage than prior installing the second AIO. Next step is to OC the GPU and see how much I can get. 

The main question of the post is still unanswered tho, why the OC got worst by installing the new AIO :(

Sorry for the spam :P 

That's not spam.

I still don't know. I'm hoping someone else comments.

This one has me baffled.