GPT 4TB drive not showing on USB dock

Christian

Hi,

I purchased a Seagate Backup Plus 4TB a while ago and ripped it out of the enclosure to use internally. Now i've decided i want to use it on my HTPC as a USB drive. After putting it on its dock it didn't show in explorer and in Disk Management is just said "Healthy GPT Partition", and when right clicking my only option was 'Help'. Then it randomly went into RAW format. So I plugged it in with SATA, reformatted with Acronis as a GPT disk (because it's 4TB) and used Recuva to get my files off it. Then i copied all the files back over to it, took it out and put it on its dock expecting it to work. And again we have "Healthy GPT Partition". I put it back in my PC and it's operating as a perfectly normal NTFS disk. So at least it didn't go to RAW, but i want to use it externally. Anyone know how to fix this up to work like the original little Backup Plus it always wanted to be?

Cheers,

Christian

The controller in the dock is probably not conpatible with 4tb drives. I remeber when over 2tb started coming out and this issue started emerging. Most dock now should be able to do 3tb. My suggestion cheack the product page and read some revoews see if somewhere the max drive sizs it mentioned or if someone says 4tb drives dont work.

The controller in the dock is probably not conpatible with 4tb drives. I remeber when over 2tb started coming out and this issue started emerging. Most dock now should be able to do 3tb. My suggestion cheack the product page and read some revoews see if somewhere the max drive sizs it mentioned or if someone says 4tb drives dont work.

You mean MBR? If that was it I wouldn't think it would recognize that it is a "Healthy GPT Partition" in the first place. Although I could easily be wrong I guess. Or do you mean something else that has a problem with over 2tb? I'm tired.

You mean MBR? If that was it I wouldn't think it would recognize that it is a "Healthy GPT Partition" in the first place. Although I could easily be wrong I guess.

anything 3tb and larger or bootable via uefi needs to be gpt with windows 7 and newer. And have fun getting a 3tb drive to wprk on something older.

anything 3tb and larger or bootable via uefi needs to be gpt with windows 7 and newer. And have fun getting a 3tb drive to wprk on something older.

I... Am well aware of that... What I mean was if that is the issue I dont think it would even recognize that it is a GPT partition.

Also wouldnt it be 2tb?

Sorry should've been more specific. I'm running Windows 8.1. The dock I'm referring to is the one that comes with the Seagate Backup Plus.

It's all good. I deleted the partition with CMD Diskpart, then just formatted as GPT NTFS.Thanks guys

It's all good. I deleted the partition with CMD Diskpart, then just formatted as GPT NTFS.Thanks guys

GPT or NTFS? because you cant do both...

GPT or NTFS? because you cant do both...

I think you can. It's formatted as NTFS. However it's partitioned as GPT to allow for more than 2TB of capacity, unlike MBR.

I think you can. It's formatted as NTFS. However it's partitioned as GPT to allow for more than 2TB of capacity, unlike MBR.

yea sorry bout that I knew what I was thinking but it didnt come out right cause of them acronyms lol