How do I get my windows onto my new SSD?

ConfessionBear
Go to solution Solved by Revamp,

Their are programs I do believe to clone your drive to a new one. Never used this method so have no experience.

If you have a windows key, the easiest way would be to google "Windows media creation tool". Once downloaded you would run this and it will say upgrade existing windows or install to a media device. Choose the device method. Now you have 2 more options to either download the .iso file or setup a USB drive. I recently built 2 new pcs and had problems using multiple computers when trying to setup a usb installer. My recommendation would be to download the .iso file. Then search for a program called rufus, and use that to burn the iso to the flash drive and set it up as a bootable drive.

Plug in the usb and run your PC. You might have to go into bios to set it as the boot drive.

I just bought a new 120gb ssd, I know it's not a lot but it's what I can afford, and I'm planning to have it as my first boot for windows. Can anyone help me with the steps and such on how to do this? I already have windows 10 on my HDD and want to move it to my SSD if that's possible. If not, my friend gave me a windows key. I know that I can put my windows into a USB stick and plug it in when I do the transfer, but I want to know the steps. I don't want to mess anything up.

5 minutes ago, ConfessionBear said:

I just bought a new 120gb ssd, I know it's not a lot but it's what I can afford, and I'm planning to have it as my first boot for windows. Can anyone help me with the steps and such on how to do this? I already have windows 10 on my HDD and want to move it to my SSD if that's possible. If not, my friend gave me a windows key. I know that I can put my windows into a USB stick and plug it in when I do the transfer, but I want to know the steps. I don't want to mess anything up.

Regarding moving your current installation - you could clone the disk if its full size is smaller than 120gb or you could delete everything to get it to the 120gb mark but if youre gonna do that, why not just install a fresh copy of windows. You cant just copy-paste the system because there are hidden files and links that cant be moved. 

Your best bet is to install a fresh copy of win to the new SSD.

Don't forget to quote when replying to me

1 minute ago, Thunderzzu said:

Regarding moving your current installation - you could clone the disk its full size is smaller than 120gb or you could delete everything to get it to the 120gb mark but if youre gonna do that, why not just install a fresh copy of windows. You cant just copy-paste the system because there are hidden files and links that cant be moved. 

Your best bet is to install a fresh copy of win to the new SSD.

Damn, I'l need to go grab a windows disk then.

Their are programs I do believe to clone your drive to a new one. Never used this method so have no experience.

If you have a windows key, the easiest way would be to google "Windows media creation tool". Once downloaded you would run this and it will say upgrade existing windows or install to a media device. Choose the device method. Now you have 2 more options to either download the .iso file or setup a USB drive. I recently built 2 new pcs and had problems using multiple computers when trying to setup a usb installer. My recommendation would be to download the .iso file. Then search for a program called rufus, and use that to burn the iso to the flash drive and set it up as a bootable drive.

Plug in the usb and run your PC. You might have to go into bios to set it as the boot drive.

Osmium: NFC Skyreach 4 // i7-8700k (delidd) // GTX 1080 // 32GB DDR4-3200Mhz // 1TB 960 Evo M.2 // 1.1TB MX300 m.2
Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow // Razer Orbweaver // Razer Kraken // Logitech G502 // Logitech K830 // LG 34UC88-B

Usage: Adobe Lightroom // Adobe Photoshop // Web Dev // Recording Gameplay // Video Editing // Portable Gaming

1 minute ago, ConfessionBear said:

@Revamp @Thunderzzu If I were to get a new windows disk and use it, what would happen to the windows that's currently on my hard drive?

If you don't mess anything up, you can just decide which disk do you want to boot upon startup. It's usually the F11 key to select the boot device. Once you install windows to the SSD, a new device will appear in the boot options, for example: -WD1000somethingsomething and -Kingston120somethingsomething And depending on which one you'd select, the corresponding system would be booted.

Don't forget to quote when replying to me

Like I mentioned, if you have a key, there is no need to buy a disk. Microsoft offers the windows Iso file for free but you need a key to activate it.

You said you bought a new 120gb ssd to use. Therefore there is no windows install on it correct?

Even if there is, when you run the windows install, it should ask if you want to do a fresh install (wipe all files), or install but keep/import files.

I would recommend backing up any documents and media you want to keep and doing a fresh install. This will clean up any remnants of uninstalled/deleted files.

EDIT:

If you're talking about leaving your harddrive in, I would recommend unplugging the data cable to kill communication to the drive. Only have the new SSD and windows usb installer plugged in, then boot the machine.
Once you set up windows, you can plug the hdd back in.

Osmium: NFC Skyreach 4 // i7-8700k (delidd) // GTX 1080 // 32GB DDR4-3200Mhz // 1TB 960 Evo M.2 // 1.1TB MX300 m.2
Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow // Razer Orbweaver // Razer Kraken // Logitech G502 // Logitech K830 // LG 34UC88-B

Usage: Adobe Lightroom // Adobe Photoshop // Web Dev // Recording Gameplay // Video Editing // Portable Gaming

For me I would

Disconnect the old drive. Just remove Sata cable.

Connect new drive to PC. You can use the Sata cable you just disconnected

Do a clean install on the new drive.

Reconnect the old drive using new Sata cable

Install all programs to the new drive

Transfert all info you want to keep to the new drive ( make a folder )

Format the old drive and keep it to store stuff. This will delete the windows on old drive

1 minute ago, Zmax said:

For me I would

Disconnect the old drive. Just remove Sata cable.

Connect new drive to PC. You can use the Sata cable you just disconnected

Do a clean install on the new drive.

Reconnect the old drive using new Sata cable

Install all programs to the new drive

Transfert all info you want to keep to the new drive ( make a folder )

Format the old drive and keep it to store stuff 

Exactly how I would go about it.

29 minutes ago, ConfessionBear said:

I use https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree it's free and very easy. Have both plugged in, clone, and extend the partition if the new disk is bigger than the old one. 

Oops forgot to mention. Your old Window 10 key is still valid. 

To check key go to 

Star

setting

Security

Activation

Top of the page  It will confirmed that your key is active 

One more thing Safety

Shut down computer using Start power off.  If you use power button you may damage Bios

Remove power cord 

Press Power button for about 5 sec to discharge all capacitors

Be safe

@Revamp @Zmax Sorry if I'm asking too many questions...

So

1) Download Windows Media Tool

2) Get the Windows Iso file

3) Put it into USB stick

4) Turn off PC, remove power cord, hold power button for 5 secs, unplug HDD

5) Plug in SSD, power cord and USB

6) In BIOS boot with the USB because it has the windows Iso file

7) Put in Key when it asks

8) Windows should go straight into the SSD (I'm assuming)

Or am I wrong?

1 hour ago, Zmax said:

One more thing Safety

Shut down computer using Start power off.  If you use power button you may damage Bios

Remove power cord 

Press Power button for about 5 sec to discharge all capacitors

Be safe

1 hour ago, Revamp said:

Like I mentioned, if you have a key, there is no need to buy a disk. Microsoft offers the windows Iso file for free but you need a key to activate it.

You said you bought a new 120gb ssd to use. Therefore there is no windows install on it correct?

Even if there is, when you run the windows install, it should ask if you want to do a fresh install (wipe all files), or install but keep/import files.

I would recommend backing up any documents and media you want to keep and doing a fresh install. This will clean up any remnants of uninstalled/deleted files.

EDIT:

If you're talking about leaving your harddrive in, I would recommend unplugging the data cable to kill communication to the drive. Only have the new SSD and windows usb installer plugged in, then boot the machine.
Once you set up windows, you can plug the hdd back in.

24 minutes ago, ConfessionBear said:

So

3) Put it into USB stick

Or am I wrong?

Pretty much correct, just after step 2 you need to use a program called "Rufus" to burn the iso onto the flash drive to make it bootable. Then carry on and follow the rest of the steps :D

3 minutes ago, Revamp said:

Pretty much correct, just after step 2 you need to use a program called "Rufus" to burn the iso onto the flash drive to make it bootable. Then carry on and follow the rest of the steps :D

So it'll automatically save into my ssd since it's it's the only one plugged in? :D

54 minutes ago, ConfessionBear said:

So

3) Put it into USB stick

Or am I wrong?

Key -- you do not need to imput key skip this steep

You key is already part of your system

Do a Youtube on how to do -> Clean install of window

2 minutes ago, Zmax said:

Very close . When you boot make sure key with window in inserted before you go to Bios

29 minutes ago, Revamp said:

Also, after I download windows media tool, I save the Iso file onto my hard drive and then use rufus to burn it onto the usb right?

2 minutes ago, ConfessionBear said:

Also, after I download windows media tool, I save the Iso file onto my hard drive and then use rufus to burn it onto the usb right?

Look at this video  And go for 64 bit installation of windows, 32bit is obsolete

3 minutes ago, Zmax said:

Look at this video  And go for 64 bit installation of windows, 32bit is obsolete

So I don't use rufus for this? @Revamp

No Microsoft web site as the tool to create the usb key

Here is video for clean install of window once you have USB key with windows on it 

Skip part about product key . just > do later < since your product key will install by itself. You will need to input some stuff , like language keyboard. 

Do custom part since new drive 

The first time you do a clean install, is a bit fearsome, but just go steep by steeps it should be fine.

I have done it so many time, I am not sure if the CD I made will last .

By the way Windows is very slow at the start. It may take about 5 mi or more to start the installation.

Be Patient

16 minutes ago, Zmax said:

No Microsoft web site as the tool to create the usb key

Here is video for clean install of window once you have USB key with windows on it 

Skip part about product key . just > do later < since your product key will install by itself. You will need to input some stuff , like language keyboard. 

Do custom part since new drive 

but the problem is that I don't have the windows key that I have on my pc right now. I bought my pc from a friend and yeah, that key is long gone somewhere

Is your computer from the friend still working 

To check if your Windows10 key is valid go 

Start

setting

security

activation

just read second line from top to see if key is valid

If you have a digital key you are good to go

Yeah it's the one I'm currently using right now. When I go into the settings and look at the "windows activation key" for this pc it's not there. It says I need to put in a key for it but I haven't done so. Let's just say I messed up on something that made that happen.