Need help. Over current detected. Pc shutdown after 15 seconds

ekadarmawan

Hi guys.

I really need some help.

at first my PC is normal.

and then theres a notification says

”power surge, usb exceed the limit” on the task bar.

after that I restart the PC.

and the PC cant boot.

theres a note displayed on the screen, says

”overcurrent detacted, pc will shutdown after 15 seconds to protect the mainboard.

I try to find information on the internet, and already done several things to fix the problem based on the information I get.

I removed all the usb devices, Ive already removed the usb front pannel from the motherboard, I checked for the bent pin.

but the problem still there.

Sometimes when I try to turn it on over and over again, somehow I can login to the windows, but not so long the “power surge” note shows again.

the weird thing is when I try to unplug some lamp in my room which is I suspect to be the cause of the problem (but Iam not sure), the pc suddenly back to normal for several days until I plug that lamp back, and the problem happen again.

I removed the lamp again and the pc normal again.

I wonder if it has anything to do with it.

Finally because Iam curious, I put the lamp back again.

And right now no matter what I do, I cant login into the windows, and the pc always shutdown after 15 seconds.

It would be great to have some advice to find the solution, please help.

best regard

Get a different lamp :)

What sort of lamp is it? Is it plugged into an extension cord? Are you using a surge protector? How old is your house?

I edit my posts a lot.

1 minute ago, MrDrWho13 said:

Get a different lamp :)

What sort of lamp is it? Is it plugged into an extension cord? Are you using a surge protector? How old is your house?

Thank you for the reply.

it is a LED lamp that has two features.

it can be a disco lamp when it switched twice.

Actually Iam not sure if that the cause of the problem.

but somehow when I unplug it the pc back to normal.

I do use surge protector like stavol.

right now it directly plug into the wall

29 minutes ago, ekadarmawan said:

Thank you for the reply.

it is a LED lamp that has two features.

it can be a disco lamp when it switched twice.

Actually Iam not sure if that the cause of the problem.

but somehow when I unplug it the pc back to normal.

I do use surge protector like stavol.

right now it directly plug into the wall

Yea, sounds like that wall plug can't handle both your computer and the lamp which is honestly weird to see these days, but it happens. Put that lamp on another wall socket. Make sure it's on another breaker too so in another room entirely would be best.

9 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Yea, sounds like that wall plug can't handle both your computer and the lamp which is honestly weird to see these days, but it happens. Put that lamp on another wall socket. Make sure it's on another breaker too so in another room entirely would be best.

Yes, I will do it.

but right now the PC cant even turn on even when the lamps not there.

do you think theres a problem with the mainboard?

Like the worst case I would end up buying a new mainboard?

Edited by ekadarmawan

3 minutes ago, ekadarmawan said:

Yes, I will do it.

but right now the PC cant even turn on even when the lamps not there.

do you think theres a problem with the mainboard?

Like the worst case I would end up buying a new mainboard?

hmmm.. I'm not really sure at this point.

Don't go buying hardware without knowing the cause.

Let's see what others have to say :)

11 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

hmmm.. I'm not really sure at this point.

Don't go buying hardware without knowing the cause.

Let's see what others have to say :)

Of course, hopefully it wouldnt end up that way.

some background info about the PC will be helpful.. with the info so far there are no clues as to what's happened or anything.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Have you checked to make sure all your USB ports look normal and nothing is in them?

1 minute ago, mpsparrow said:

Have you checked to make sure all your USB ports look normal and nothing is in them?

I ve already check all the port and also clean the dust.

it seems nothing suspicious and looks fine.

7 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

some background info about the PC will be helpful.. with the info so far there are no clues as to what's happened or anything.

At first, before it turn out like this, theres a  note such as power surge usb exceed the limit.

then when I restart the PC its just happen like that

What is your PC made out of?

We need at least to know:

CPU:

Motherboard:

GPU:

PSU:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

What was plugged into the usb ? Try disconnecting the usb if its one that can be removed from the motherboard. 

Sorry OP, but I give up... when trying to get help, you need to give PC specs, how long you've had it, whether this is a new problem where it just started happening for seemingly no reason (eg no changes made), whether this is  NEW etc... without that info it would be purely guess work as to why this is happening.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 hour ago, Eibe said:

What is your PC made out of?

We need at least to know:

CPU:

Motherboard:

GPU:

PSU:

Thank you for your kind reply.

Sorry for not mentioned the specs before.

My specs :

motherboard: MSI H81M-E35-V2

cpu: intel g3220

psu: corsair 450V

gpu: amd rodeom msi r7 240

(but I ve already tested it without the gpu, only using onboard vga)

best regard

24 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Sorry OP, but I give up... when trying to get help, you need to give PC specs, how long you've had it, whether this is a new problem where it just started happening for seemingly no reason (eg no changes made), whether this is  NEW etc... without that info it would be purely guess work as to why this is happening.

My specs :

motherboard: MSI H81M-E35-V2

cpu: intel g3220

psu: corsair 450V

gpu: amd rodeom msi r7 240

(but I ve already tested it without the gpu, only using onboard vga)

I havent change any part of the PC since I bought it. It has been happening for 2 two days. And this is the first time my PC behave like this.

I ve been using the PC for almost 5 years.

best regard

1 hour ago, Ddarlington36 said:

What was plugged into the usb ? Try disconnecting the usb if its one that can be removed from the motherboard. 

I ve already unplug all of the usb devices. And the problem is still remaining.

The usb devices that were plugged into my pc are external hdd (wd which use additional adaptor), external hdd part which I took from my broken laptop and mouse.

I suspect the problem is on the usb 3.0 which cant be unplug from the motherboard, because it is part of the motherboard.

seems like that usb 3.0 port not functioning.

before the problem occur, I plug my hdd-part which I took from my broken laptop there.

hopefully this info is related

If OCP is triggering, then it could be the fault of the power supply.

How long have you had the Corsair 450-watt unit? And do you have any other units on hand to test out?

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

When you unplugged the connectors, did you mean the 24-pin ATX as well? If not, try that. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

2 hours ago, Eibe said:

When you unplugged the connectors, did you mean the 24-pin ATX as well? If not, try that. 

I ve already tried to  the 24pin connector as I remove the motherboard from the case.

but seems its not the culprit.

2 hours ago, JurunceNK said:

If OCP is triggering, then it could be the fault of the power supply.

How long have you had the Corsair 450-watt unit? And do you have any other units on hand to test out?

I ve been using corsair 450 About 4 years. Its the same time as the the other component from the pc.

Havent try to test it with different psu because I dont have one beside that.

anyway do you think possible the problem is with the motherboard?

like the worst case I need to buy the new one?

Just now, ekadarmawan said:

I ve been using corsair 450 About 4 years. Its the same time as the the other component from the pc.

Havent try to test it with different psu because I dont have one beside that.

anyway do you think possible the problem is with the motherboard?

like the worst case I need to buy the new one?

May be the case. Do you have a spare motherboard to test out?

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Try a different power outlet and/or surge protector.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 hours ago, JurunceNK said:

May be the case. Do you have a spare motherboard to test out?

No, I dont have any spare motherboard. I hope thats not the case. Actually buying a new motherboard is my last option