Give me the quick and dirty on ddr3 vs ddr4

Go to solution Solved by Firecheetah13,
4 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I did search, but its debatable.

Maybe ddr4 is better at data crunching in video and compression.

I did watch Linus' vid but its so old.

Is there a perceptable difference between ddr3 and ddr4 on an apples to apples basis?

Lower voltage and lower overall power draw (meaning lower temps), better compatibility for newer hardware, let's be honest RAM isn't all that exciting and there is only a very minor performance difference if at all between the two.

Is there a perceptable difference between ddr3 and ddr4 on an apples to apples basis?

4 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Lower voltage and lower overall power draw (meaning lower temps), better compatibility for newer hardware, let's be honest RAM isn't all that exciting and there is only a very minor performance difference if at all between the two.

Yeah so if you have a choice and the ddr3 system is cheaper, then a person has to decide if that price difference is enough to influence them to go one way or another. Then other aspects of future readiness, usage pattern would fall into place as well.

Simply upgrading for the sake of upgrading because ddr4 came out is not a legit argument.  Gotta buy new mobo, buy new ram and buy new cpu which is roughly $100 each give or take some dimes. 8gb ram. Still left with your same old case, same old psu, same old hdd or sdd and old o/s.

Is there an argument in well the new mobo's will be better because this that or the other. I will take a look at mobo hierchy on wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets

I would never choose what system to buy based off of ddr3 vs ddr4...

Who do you know does that?  I upgrade based on CPU and drag memory along with me.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Mobo Specs of DDR3 mobos to DDR4 mobos (Intel)

DMI 2.0 vs DMI 3.0 = more lanes

Link Speeds 5 and 8GB/s vs 4

PCIe lanes is the big one I guess!

Optane

M.2

SATAe

20 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Mobo Specs of DDR3 mobos to DDR4 mobos (Intel)

DMI 2.0 vs DMI 3.0 = more lanes

Link Speeds 5 and 8GB/s vs 4

PCIe lanes is the big one I guess!

Optane

M.2

SATAe

NVMe

RGB

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

51 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Optane

Not really, considering you need 7th gen onwards.  Skylake and both gens of x99 dont support it

1 minute ago, CUDA_Cores said:

one has a higher number. 

One requires a certain tradeoff to get.your-soul-is-no-longer-yours_o_1192778.jpg.9c5bad386ba52ed8ebd476b2ad9e8cd9.jpg

23 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

I don't have a soul:

I hear kidneys are also accepted in lieu of fiat

2 hours ago, Damascus said:

I would never choose what system to buy based off of ddr3 vs ddr4...

Who do you know does that?  I upgrade based on CPU and drag memory along with me.

it's like picking a car based on how the side mirrors look and not whats under the hood.

@Canada EH only thing you need to know is DDR3 is D E A D, you would litterally be paying for old tech and limiting yourself to old tech, it would be like buying a DVD Player today when Bluray players only cost a little more. You would be locking yourself into an outdated tech, like buying one of those older Iphones from before the Lightning connector, sure it's cheaper but it's useless because none of the new shit works with it

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

BUT BUT BUT BUT

they old pcs are CHEAP!

yeah but there is no UPGRADE PATH with old shit like DDR3, you have to buy old hardware, which means used hardware or WAY overpriced old stock hardware, DDR4 has been the standard for more then a year now and has been in the market over 2 years (with the launch of Skylake in late 2015), I know RAM prices suck right now, believe me I do, i'm trying to build my mom a new computer to replace her decade old (and NO I am NOT EXAGERATING, it's at least that old) Dell desktop, in the time she has own that computer she has lived in 4 different houses and had atleast 4 different cars and lived in 2 different states, so yeah it's a pretty damn old computer and RAM prices are just crushing the budget, same with PSU prices, I paid less for my RM750x then what an RM550x is selling for today. and I'm also planning a second desktop that is Ryzen based to hold the 2 new GPU's I have coming this week (in the grand scheme 2 systems is cheaper then replacing the UPS with a larger one that can supply the required power to have all the GPU's on the same system, plus 2 seperate PSU's is cheaper then one BIG HIGH POWER unit (no joke 2 750's are cheaper then a 1000 watt of the same series) so i'm planning to rob one of the 8GB RAM sticks out of my gaming tower to stick in the other one till prices come down, it's stupid, I paid $80 for my 16GB kit, that same kit is listed at 250 right this second, best advice is if your current hardware WORKS keep using it till prices settle down