Unplugged GPU, Computer powered off, PSU still on

ehawkins2232

So a buddy of mine just called me, and told me that he was unplugging his editing PCs gpu (gtx 970) and swapping it with a gtx 1070ti, but he didn't turn of the PSU. Now he is attempting to turn back on the computer, but all that happens is his fans turn on for a second then turn off. I think it might be possible that he fried something inside the computer.

-I have limited knowledge of the specs, except the 2 gpus he swapped

-He is running Windows 10

- I do not have the time to look at the pc right now, but he tells me that there is no burning smell coming from the case.

I suggested he tried to at least get into the bios, but it seems the system doesn't even want to post. Any suggestions?

2016 Build

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2 GHz

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2133 CL14 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GAMING 

Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB, Crucial MX500 500GB

PSU: EVGA G1 650 W 80+ Gold (It's Not Great)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full-ATX

you should never ever unplug or plug PCI-e , DIMM, CPU or any thing.... even SATA Drives if your motherboard is still being powered on by the PSU, doing so can result in damaged hardware.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I am aware of that, but my friend was not. It's pretty obvious that it would cause damage. However, I am asking for suggestions that I can tell him over the phone ( I can't meet with him at the moment)

2016 Build

8 minutes ago, Eric Hawkins said:

I am aware of that, but my friend was not. It's pretty obvious that it would cause damage. However, I am asking for suggestions that I can tell him over the phone ( I can't meet with him at the moment)

I can't think of much to do rather than see if he can claim a warranty on it

Just now, tazemarioz780 said:

I can't think of much to do rather than see if he can claim a warranty on it

Claim that it was fried when it was sent lol

17 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

you should never ever unplug or plug PCI-e , DIMM, CPU or any thing.... even SATA Drives if your motherboard is still being powered on by the PSU, doing so can result in damaged hardware.

What should the next step be?

2016 Build

2 minutes ago, Eric Hawkins said:

What should the next step be?

Tell him to try the usual troubleshooting steps:

1) Try to boot without GPU (if iGPU exists) and only one stick of ram (if possible), also have him try different dimm slots

2) Clear CMOS, just because

3) Try again.

If there are debug codes or debug leds on the board, use those as guides. All of this is to try to find the extent of the damage. Without extra hardware, it's hard to find damaged components at times. It's possible only the board is dead, it's also possible that the cpu is dead as well as a number of other things. 

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

9 minutes ago, Unimaginative Name said:

Tell him to try the usual troubleshooting steps:

1) Try to boot without GPU (if iGPU exists) and only one stick of ram (if possible), also have him try different dimm slots

2) Clear CMOS, just because

3) Try again.

If there are debug codes or debug leds on the board, use those as guides. All of this is to try to find the extent of the damage. Without extra hardware, it's hard to find damaged components at times. It's possible only the board is dead, it's also possible that the cpu is dead as well as a number of other things. 

Thx for the help, I appreciate it!

2016 Build