PS4 Pro - Worth?

Joey96

Hey guys!

So I'm big time monster hunter fan, and since I know the console playerbase will be much larger than pc, earlier release date and that it's the only right place to game it, I'm considering buying a PS4/ PR4 Pro just for it.

But my girlfriend just asked me "Won't the PS5 soon be out?" which got me thinking, will it be out soon? Because then I would have wasted my money? Should I just opt for the regular PS4 or Pro?

I think I'm only going to game MHW and maybe some few exclusives, otherwise my main platform is PC, any thoughs?

7 minutes ago, Joey96 said:

Hey guys!

So I'm big time monster hunter fan, and since I know the console playerbase will be much larger than pc, earlier release date and that it's the only right place to game it, I'm considering buying a PS4/ PR4 Pro just for it.

But my girlfriend just asked me "Won't the PS5 soon be out?" which got me thinking, will it be out soon? Because then I would have wasted my money? Should I just opt for the regular PS4 or Pro?

I think I'm only going to game MHW and maybe some few exclusives, otherwise my main platform is PC, any thoughs?

Don't go for ps4 pro, specially if you don't have a 4k tv , but if you have one or a 1440p monitor why not, if you are really concerned about wasting money (because those HOT FANS are not) go for a regular ps4, the slim version is good but go for the cheaper version whatever it is, actually monster hunter world is not bad, I may buy this one instead of the crew 2.

7 hours ago, Keikavoos said:

Don't go for ps4 pro, specially if you don't have a 4k tv , but if you have one or a 1440p monitor why not, if you are really concerned about wasting money (because those HOT FANS are not) go for a regular ps4, the slim version is good but go for the cheaper version whatever it is, actually monster hunter world is not bad, I may buy this one instead of the crew 2.

Sadly there is no 1440p output on the PS4 Pro. It's either 4k or 1080p.

If you want to play the best version of the game, sure why not.  Think long term too, The Last of us Part II will be out at the end of this year or early next year, Red Dead 2 is also coming, PS 5 is several years away so i wouldn't worry about that. 

Ohhh yeah red dead! Thanks for reminding me of that! I totally forgot about that game!

Yes. 

For the price it is, its not like the pro is 2 times more expensive. 

16 hours ago, Joey96 said:

Derpends on how much you game.

If you are a regular user of the console, PS4 PRO makes sense.

If you rarely use it -> normal PS4.

But if you have the money and use the PS4 extensively, you absolutely should go for the Pro. You don't even need a 4k Display for that, that's fake news.

There are some newer games that offer some optical or performance increases with the PRO...

16 hours ago, VenomZ_ said:

no the ps5 isnt gonna come out any time soon if they did that people would be pissed 

That's true.
The PS5 won't be around any time soon. AMD just released ZEN and you can bet your behind that the PS5 will have a Zen.

So developing something with that, maybe 2020 or something like that so we are talking about 2 years here - at least.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

3 hours ago, Keikavoos said:

It renders at 1440p on the Pro (so does Uncharted 4), but the Pro will either upscale that to 4k or downsample to 1080p, depending on the display. On a 1440p monitor you'll get the downsample to 1080p.

12 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

It renders at 1440p on the Pro (so does Uncharted 4), but the Pro will either upscale that to 4k or downsample to 1080p, depending on the display. On a 1440p monitor you'll get the downsample to 1080p.

Good to know, i always wondered why there isn't a 1440p sign at back of the game covers

Even if a PS5 is looming on the horizon:

• The PS4 should still have at least a year or two of gaming development left, even for AAA titles (e.g., God of War II came out on the PS2 in 2007)
  • Though it's likely Sony will still use x86 hardware, there's still no guarantee about backwards compatibility (e.g., games from the original Xbox weren't compatible with the XB1 out of the box. And even though it was added, only some of the games are compatible. But this is more likely because the Xbox uses software APIs that are too old)

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Even if a PS5 is looming on the horizon:

• The PS4 should still have at least a year or two of gaming development left, even for AAA titles (e.g., God of War II came out on the PS2 in 2007)

Persona 4 in 2008 also

Well, I might only use it for monster hunter world and red dead, and maybe a few other games, but ill be gaming those extensively. Would a 2nd hand PS4 pro be fine? or should i opt for a totally new one? any risks in buying a used?