help configure RAM timings with 2 kits?

I have 2 kits of 2x8gb dual channel 3600mhz g.skill ram (model F4-3600C17D-16GTZR) installed in my asus maximus ix hero motherboard with 4 dual channel slots for ram. But I've recently experienced 2 crashes, 1 bluescreen and 1 random loss of display. I'm pretty sure this is because I'm using 2 kits of 2x8gb ram instead of 1 kit of 4x8gb, so the timings arent configured for 2 kits to work together. Does this sound like something that could easily be fixed by reconfiguring the timings? If so, how can i do this? And what should i use for my configuration? If this ends up being a bit too complicated or less reliable than just 1 kit of 4x8, I'm probably just going to refund my 2nd kit while i can and live with 16gb for a while.

20180113_040541.jpg

When does this happen and what are your specs?

Moved to Troubleshooting.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

When does this happen and what are your specs?

Moved to Troubleshooting.

Mobo: ASUS Maximus Hero IX

CPU: i7 7700k stock clocks

GPU: GTX 1070 OC'd

RAM: 2 kits of 2x8gb 3600mhz g.skill F4-3600C17D-16GTZR (32GB)

OS: Windows 7 home premium (only allows use of 16GB of physical memory)

OS installed on 128GB PNY SSD

Seagate Ironwolf 10TB HDD

The bluescreen has only happened once and i wasn't doing any ram intensive tasks (none that would require even close to 16GB) just streaming videos on Google Chrome and that's it. I was using extended display setup with 2 monitors and the bluescreen happened on the secondary monitor which had fullscreen video on it. i've ran multiple virus and malware scans and all came up clean. i've only had the bluescreen 1 time, and i've been playing CS:GO all day with no issues. BIOS correctly detects 32GB physical memory at 3600mhz clock speeds. Windows 7 only detects 16GB of physical memory (due to the home premium limitations set by Microsoft.)

I bought both kits of ram from this same exact listing https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232483

both kits have the same model number. I was told on a separate thread that both kits should work together. The Bluescreen only happened about 2 days after i installed the 2nd kit of ram, so i think it's safe to assume it's the RAM kits not being 1 kit of 4x8gb. Should i refund while i have the chance? Or is it possible to fix this quite easily?

I've also heard somewhere that it's possible that g.skill's RGB Aura sync can cause bluescreens somehow... no idea if that's the case or not, but I am using RGB Aura sync with these RAM sticks.

Have you tried reverting to default motherboard settings?

Is there an XMP profile you can use?

You could try running a memtest if you haven't already: https://www.memtest86.com/

If you're able to return both kits and order a 4x8GB kit, that would be optimal. 

That being said, the issue might not be due to your ram. Have you tested for stability for your graphics card oc? 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

when installing the 2nd kit of ram, i ended up clearing the CMOS, so the motherboard is at it's default settings.

as for the XMP profile, yes there is 1 XMP profile showing up, and it has been applied when i installed the 2nd kit. i was using it before too, when i only had the 1 kit and no problems.

the GPU oc is a factory overclock done by Gigabyte. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125876 and has been stable for the entire time i've owned it. this is the first time i've experienced a bluescreen on my computer.

I'm only able to return the 2nd kit for a refund, as the 1st i've had for about 6 months.

I'll run a memtest tomorrow. I've already tried running Windows Memory Diagnostics, but when it rebooted to do so, it didn't boot and just got stuck at CPU initialization. (the mobo's q-code diagnosed this)

would posting the memory dump from the BSOD be of any help?

EDIT: also when i was playing CS:GO earlier today, I had MSI Afterburner overlayed to display diagnostic information about my system and I didn't see or notice anything unusual.

Double EDIT: I'm leaning more towards refunding the 2nd kit and spending the money on something more sensible like a mechanical keyboard or toward a better gpu or something. it was a pretty dumb purchase tbh. i only really need 16GB for what i do anyway. lol it was my ocd that made me buy it. i needed to fill all the empty slots! haha