2 x 1 GB 7850s still worth it

DeViLzzz

Does it not seem like 2 x 1 GB 7850s seem to be still worth it if you can get them for $119 after MIR and free shipping at NCIX Canada?  I see at 1920x1080p you can get 50 to 60 fps most of the time on ultra with BF4.  I am not sure about other games as I have not looked at charts in awhile but I assume everything is pretty good.  I had one 1 GB 7850 before but sold it and got all my money back.  I am needing something for my son's rig and thought with 2 x 1 GB 7850 cards it would be pretty hard to beat for value and price at $238 after MIR.  What do you guys think?  .... and no we will not be moving from 1920x1080p gaming for a long, long time.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

1GB is not enough for modern 1080p games.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Games have started to push over 1GB VRAM usage, I suggest getting a 7870 or a R9 270X, both cards have pretty good value that are tough to beat at their price points.

If you regard my facts as wrong, feel free to rectify it.

——————————————————————————

If you regard my opinions as wrong, feel free to ignore it.

1 x 7850 2gb OC or 7870 OC would be better than 2 x 7850 1gb

then if you feel like its not fast anymore ( unlikely, unless you play absolutelly maxed out settings ) you add another after a while

I know that with the 1 GB 7850 vs the 2 GB 7850 there wasn't much difference in benchmarks.  As for the 7870 would it not be silly to pay more for that when you can just overclock a 7850 to 7870 speeds?  Also 2 x 1 GB 7850s are they not as fast as a 7970 or a GTX 680? 

1 x 7850 2gb OC or 7870 OC would be better than 2 x 7850 1gb

then if you feel like its not fast anymore ( unlikely, unless you play absolutelly maxed out settings ) you add another after a while

Maximum settings or as far as I can take it is what I do with my gaming pcs.

A 7850 2Gb card isn't that expensive. Check different online retailers. I found a 7850 1Gb for around £100 and the 2Gb version for £130.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

The thing is I don't think there is a single card I can get for $238 (after MIR on NCIX Canada) that would do what two 1 GB 7850s will do.  I see a GTX 760 is $249 (after MIR on NCIX Canada) and I could pair another card with it later but not sure if I want to do that.  I do like going Nvidia with physX and all but ..

Hah, I have GTX 560 Ti with 1 GB of memory and I play on 2560x1440.

The thing is I don't think there is a single card I can get for $238 (after MIR on NCIX Canada) that would do what two 1 GB 7850s will do.  I see a GTX 760 is $249 (after MIR on NCIX Canada) and I could pair another card with it later but not sure if I want to do that.  I do like going Nvidia with physX and all but ..

buy one 2gb card now, buy another later

http://products.ncix.com/detail/pny-geforce-gtx-670-980mhz-2gb-6ghz-gddr5-2xdvi-hdmi-displayport-pci-e-video-card-6d-72414.htm

I wish they would put this on sale again.  I could buy this now for my son's pc then when I get him something else pair it up with the other PNY GTX 670 I already have. 

i got a 2gb GTX 660 and that not enough lol...

Character artist in the Games industry.

2GB is definitely better, but I still rock my 6870(1GB), and it runs most new games on High just fine.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

Well I had finally decided a moment ago to get the GTX 760 for that $249 price after rebate at NCIX and I had seen it available not long ago probably even as short as an hour ago and now they are sold out at the special price.  I give up.

sell your 7850 1GB  (is a awesome card, it will be easy to sell)  ;)

and buy a 7950 3GB

or even better, buy a powerful R9 280x 3GB

(that will be like "two" 7850 CF in performance, and with a full 3GB of eVram)

(check my link to "is the 2GB cards age end ?" down here)  :ph34r:

sell your 7850 1GB  (is a awesome card, it will be easy to sell)  ;)

and buy a 7950 3GB

or even better, buy a powerful R9 280x 3GB

(that will be like "two" 7850 CF in performance, and with a full 3GB of eVram)

(check my link to "is the 2GB cards age end ?" down here)  :ph34r:

The two cards you told me to buy are out of my budget.  I am now looking at buying a GTX 760 in the US and yes it ends up being cheaper than getting it here ... by $30 .. 

Still hoping though that someone locally may sell me a used card of some sort.

Don't be stingy, spent the little extra and get 2GB models.

Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly
They go to the lake of fire and fry, Won't see them again 'till the fourth of July

Crysis 3, AC4 and some other games take up  ~1900mb of vram
Metro Last LIght takes ~1200mb

CPU: i7 3820 4.0GHz  CPU Cooler: Corsair H80  RAM: 16GB 1600MHz  MotherBoard: ASUS Sabertooth x79  GPU: EVGA 780 ti  PSU: Cougar GX1050 80plus gold  CASE: Antec 1100

Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeH6RheyXBWjRGRcF0ZTilA

I was offered a used GTX 660 Ti for $200.  I think that is a little steep for a used card considering one can get a GTX 660 Ti for $267.87 right now in Canada from an e-tailer and heck I can get a GTX 760 for about the same over in the US and have someone to go get it sometime this week if I decide to buy.  I offered $135 plus some extra things I have like unused game keys I got in bundles and a COD BLOPS II large mouse pad I have sealed that is worth $15 plus tax.  What do you guys think? 

Don't be stingy, spent the little extra and get 2GB models.

I am trying my best to hold onto more money for good reason.  I have a budget and know what I want to spend on certain cards to get certain performance.  I also know there is no reason from what I can tell (if I went the 7850 route) to get a 2 GB card over the 1 GB card as nothing out there for the 7850 shows it helps when someone is running one monitor and is sticking with 1920x1080p. 

1 GB 7850s now no longer $119 after MIR at NCIX Canada and so I am one step closer to getting nothing brand new which may be a good thing ... or bad thing .. :Z

how much $ you plan spend ? keep in mind that you are jumping from a great card

and is pointless buy a card with similar power, unless is a 7850 1GB for a CF (that is still a good choice and cheap)

if you like nvidia cards, the 670 and the 760 are great choices with 2GB

(but don't buy the 660 line)  <_<