Here's hoping the LTT community can advise on a career

FlightRisk

This is kind of a shot in the dark here.

However I recently quit my retail job to try and find a career and I am thinking something in IT as it is the only thing to hold my attention, perhaps something with networking or security. Problems are though, I have no experience or knowledge outside of dicking around at home.

To get to the point, I'm hoping somebody here has industry experience is able to give some advice/recommendations of where to start.

I have found a place online offering a cheap course material for some Cisco Certs (CCENT, CCNA, CCNP, CCDA), although not covering the exams.

Hopefully this is not unwelcome.

At first I would suggest the "trenches" start in IT Support... It is a broad field to get into... 

After getting all hopes in humanity destroyed, pick the IT path which gave you the most satisfaction.

I personally am an IT allrounder, I like the diversity. So my current "evolutionary" It Job is It System Architect... as in long form... being able to plan and size a whole companies IT, from server, to storage, to WAN/LAN, securtiy, to clients to internal it processes... And not only planning but implementing as well... no matter if from scratch or with migrating of the old IT. Even some coding as well.

But this is what I like to do in IT =) 

I can only hint at getting a broad spectrum IT Job at first... pick up knowledge, find out what tickles your fancy, and from there move on.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

10 minutes ago, FlightRisk said:

This is kind of a shot in the dark here.

However I recently quit my retail job to try and find a career and I am thinking something in IT as it is the only thing to hold my attention, perhaps something with networking or security. Problems are though, I have no experience or knowledge outside of dicking around at home.

To get to the point, I'm hoping somebody here has industry experience is able to give some advice/recommendations of where to start.

I have found a place online offering a cheap course material for some Cisco Certs (CCENT, CCNA, CCNP, CCDA), although not covering the exams.

Hopefully this is not unwelcome.

Maybe look around your local community college and look for a quick certification related to something that sounds attractive to you.  

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

Another certification that can get you pretty far is the CompTIA A+, gives you a pretty well-rounded knowledge of most of the things you'd need to start in IT: basic understanding of what all your hardware does and how it functions, operating system skills, security, etc.

I'm studying for my A+ right now, also planning on going into IT.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

9 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

After getting all hopes in humanity destroyed

Retail. Already there.

16 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

I personally am an IT allrounder, I like the diversity. So my current "evolutionary" It Job is It System Architect... as in long form... being able to plan and size a whole companies IT, from server, to storage, to WAN/LAN, securtiy, to clients to internal it processes... And not only planning but implementing as well... no matter if from scratch or with migrating of the old IT. Even some coding as well.

I do quite like the idea of having a broad skill set, I have always enjoyed doing bits of everything. I've got to be honest though, I'm really hoping to leapfrog the bullshit of 1st line/ 'trenches' but I guess I need to just accept that fact:( This is helpful information which I will look into though, thanks!

32 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

Maybe look around your local community college and look for a quick certification related to something that sounds attractive to you.

I have looked in the past and the only options I have ever found have been full time education, which isn't an option for me. Or online courses which I'm looking at now.

33 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Another certification that can get you pretty far is the CompTIA A+, gives you a pretty well-rounded knowledge of most of the things you'd need to start in IT: basic understanding of what all your hardware does and how it functions, operating system skills, security, etc.

I had forgot about CompTIA, I will check that out tomorrow. It may be my best option.

Get sick. Get free money. Eat caterpillar fungus because doctors refuse off label meds that might help.

Yay, my life so great.

Linus is my fetish.