Stupid Question Guys

Zachary Cartwright

I'm planning on doing a budget Ryzen build and i want to custom water cool it. I have a rad, CPU block, tubing, and compression fittings. I also want to water cool my card which is gonna be an XFX RX 560 4gb (I have trust issues with nvidia). I can only find water blocks for an RX 480 which is for some reason way more expensive than the 560. So my stupid question is can i put a 480 block on a 560? all that matters is that my screw holes line up for mounting it and i can shim my heart out from there if need be. My only other option is to use EKWB EK-VGA Supremacy and a separate heat sink for my memory and power chips... If any of you know then please tell me.

Thanks so much 

The 480 is more expensive than the 560 because it's much better.

But usually it's not a good idea to mix and  match blocks between GPU's, unless it's verified to work.

It also a waste to watercool a 560, just put that money towards a better card.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

why the hell would you watercool this? spend the money on actiual performance instead

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I cant afford anything else... I am 17 and self employed... If i could afford anything else i would buy a different RX card... I dont trust NVIDIA anymore... the last time they refused to warranty a brand new card (less then a month old) that had died under light use

If you "cant afford" anything above a RX 560, how can you afford an expensive water cooling?

I don't know what you want to do with this Rig at all, but are your priorities for looks (water cooling) so immense high, that you sacrafice A HELL LOT of Performance for it?

Because let's face it, an RX 560 barely manages to be a 1080p / 60 fps card, if you set everything down to medium or something, and even then it can struggle quite good. This is pure entry card, for light / old games, like E-sports (LoL, CS:GO, etc).

Watercooling will give you 99% only visual, while having no real benefit for the GPU itself (low performance, low TDP, low Heat output).

So yea.... If you "can't afford anything else", then consider getting decent hardware first, before you spend 200-300 bucks into a custom water loop (which can be added later on at ANY point)

@ Nvidia: You bought a Reference model directly from nvidia?

Why don't you get a GTX 1050 ti then, or 1060, but don't buy it directly from nvidia, but instead from MSI? or Asus? or EVGA? or Gigabyte? etc etc....

Nvidia ONLY matters if you buy Founders. because Nvidia themself sell it --> they do the warranty stuff.

Buy an MSI Gaming X for example, and Nvidia will have NOTHING to do withyour card anymore. They only delivered the Chip to MSI, but they did everything else --> MSI warranty matters. Or EVGA, etc.

Same with AMD. Buy a Sapphire card, and your Warranty issues will be directed to Sapphire. Even Reference models run over those companies, and NOT over AMD themself.

@Darkseth

Ditto.

Not enough to upgrade to a higher-end GPU, but enough money to get into expensive custom water cooling.

Doesn't quite make sense...

@Zachary Cartwright 

Just so you know, custom cooling loop is not a "set up and forget" thing; you need to put some money in on a regular basis to maintain it afterwards.

• Coolant replacement (e.g. 1 or 2 times a year)
  • Coolant additives
  • Tubes needs replacing after a few years
  • If parts go bad due to age, they need replacing
  • etc, etc.

You won't find much water cooling support for the RX-560 anyways.

It's a lower power, entry level card.

Usually water cooling companies, like EKwb, would make cooling blocks for high-end, high heat cards (e.g. RX-580, RX Vega, GTX 1070 and above, etc).

Those are the builds that would consider water cooling 75%+ of the time (vs. like 15% with a RX-560 or GTX 1050).

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

I never said expensive custom cooling... Everything i do is budget oriented... I have a complete loop minus the gpu block for $50. I had to mod the cpu block a bit due to a wavy bottom but sand paper and 15 minutes fixed that. 

All i asked was if it was possible to use a water block for a different card... not for you guys to treat me like i dont know anything because i refuse to use GTX or GT series cards anymore.

22 hours ago, Zachary Cartwright said:

I cant afford anything else... I am 17 and self employed... If i could afford anything else i would buy a different RX card... I dont trust NVIDIA anymore... the last time they refused to warranty a brand new card (less then a month old) that had died under light use

That's not an NVIDIA issue, that's the problem with the board partner (MSI, ASUS, EVGA, etc.)

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

@arnavvr I called Asus who was the partner for the card and they told me to call nvidia... nvidia said they would replace my card and that they would call me back and never did... so i went through newegg and got full refund after i sent the card back to them

1 hour ago, Zachary Cartwright said:

I never said expensive custom cooling... Everything i do is budget oriented... I have a complete loop minus the gpu block for $50. I had to mod the cpu block a bit due to a wavy bottom but sand paper and 15 minutes fixed that. 

Strapping a 120mm case fan to the original heatsink would do much of the same job for a fraction of the cost. 

49 minutes ago, Zachary Cartwright said:

@arnavvr I called Asus who was the partner for the card and they told me to call nvidia... 

Were you asking to RMA the card?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

6 minutes ago, Zachary Cartwright said:

RMA or ADV. Replacement because the card qualified for both @WoodenMarker

That's strange. If you're asking for an RMA and the card is under warranty, they should open a case for you. Did you try emailing them? I find it's easier that way.

You need to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@WoodenMarker I got a case number and emailed back and forth for a day with some lady that works for nvidia... then she sent me an email that said to expect a phone call within 48 hours and it never came... i sent her an email and she never responded, every time that i called them after that they would literally hang up on me after i gave them the case number.

1 minute ago, Zachary Cartwright said:

@WoodenMarker I got a case number and emailed back and forth for a day with some lady that works for nvidia... then she sent me an email that said to expect a phone call within 48 hours and it never came... i sent her an email and she never responded, every time that i called them after that they would literally hang up on me after i gave them the case number.

You should be working it out with Asus in the first place. Have you tried opening a case with them instead?

4 hours ago, Zachary Cartwright said:

All i asked was if it was possible to use a water block for a different card... not for you guys to treat me like i dont know anything because i refuse to use GTX or GT series cards anymore.

For your GPU, I have no idea why ASUS is pointing to NVidia, and nVidia is pointing to ASUS.

ASUS is the manufacturer, so it should be through them.

Typically, if it's still within the new item "30 day warranty", you can also go through the seller (e.g. NewEgg, Amazon, etc).

nVidia makes the GPU chip itself, and sells it to ASUS who manufactures the rest of the video card.

In that sense, nVidia has no involvement between them and the video card buyer (you).

This is kind of strange how ASUS would finger the point back to nVidia...

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

@-rascal- Thats what im sayin... its weird that neither one can tell me anything, but oh well... whats done is done... ill never buy ASUS/NVIDIA partner products again... i will eventually go back to nvidia later this year