Thermal Armor

N3D9ed

Hi, does the thermal armor on the Asus' Z87 Sabertooth actually help temperatures or actually make it worse? I couldn't really find any regarding info regarding this topic so I'd figure maybe there might be some here. So is it gimmicky or functional? Currently planning my future rig, pretty much left with the motherboard, torn between Maximus VI Hero and the Z87 Sabertooth due to aesthetics hence my question about the thermal armor being gimmicky or not.

Many thanks for answering (if you have) :)

Cheers!

If you regard my facts as wrong, feel free to rectify it.

——————————————————————————

If you regard my opinions as wrong, feel free to ignore it.

It technically makes it work and it is only for looks. I guess it keeps dust off, and that is nice. But to keep it at a good temp you need to have an awful tiny little fan that sounds like a lawnmower.

That said it sure as hell looks good.

It is gimmicky but does a good job atprotecting the PCB from heat expelled from the graphics cards and prevents dust build up on the motherboard as well!

This is all i know about this thermal armor.

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.

It is gimmicky but does a good job atprotecting the PCB from heat expelled from the graphics cards and prevents dust build up on the motherboard as well!

But also requires a tiny whirring monster 

But also requires a tiny whirring monster 

The monster is a pain in the arse!

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.

its all about the looks!

for the rest it a marketing gimmick/BS

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

It technically makes it work and it is only for looks. I guess it keeps dust off, and that is nice. But to keep it at a good temp you need to have an awful tiny little fan that sounds like a lawnmower.

That said it sure as hell looks good.

I see. Truly agree with you that it looks good, kinda figured it was only for aesthetic purposes. Wasn't planning to install the middle fan as it would obstruct the sound card from being installed so I guess he law mower won't be that loud at least. Thanks for your response. :)

Seems like its both a gimmick and a function. I'll wait for more responses before deciding on the Hero, though I very much I would like the Formula since it too has the armor with a different name but sadly, it is out of my budget. Thanks for your response. :)

EDIT: @Freaky_spider, Well, looks like I'm leaning towards the Hero now. Looks like the Thermal Armor is only useful for protection against dust and best from the graphics card.

I see. Truly agree with you that it looks good, kinda figured it was only for aesthetic purposes. Wasn't planning to install the middle fan as it would obstruct the sound card from being installed so I guess he law mower won't be that loud at least. Thanks for your response. :)

Seems like its both a gimmick and a function. I'll wait for more responses before deciding on the Hero, though I very much I would like the Formula since it too has the armor with a different name but sadly, it is out of my budget. Thanks for your response. :)

Ya you should totally do that!

The thermal armor actually makes it hotter if you dont have the fan. 

The thermal armor actually makes it hotter if you dont have the fan.

Ah, that kind of sucks. Guess I should get the Hero then.

Trailing off topic here but man, this forum is extremely active, haven't been int a forum like this in a long time.

Ah, that kind of sucks. Guess I should get the Hero then.

Trailing off topic here but man, this forum is extremely active, haven't been int a forum like this in a long time.

Yeah I love it here :) fellow nerds yelling about hardware and general tech constantly. Its great :P

For bullets, because you never know if someday your place got terrorized and you still need your computer.

No, it's for dust proof I believe, and for the looks, and price (if you have too much many you want to slap some at asus's face). I don't find any different with that and normal mobos.

Yeah I love it here :) fellow nerds yelling about hardware and general tech constantly. Its great :P

True. Oh and since my doubts have been cleared, is it necessary to mark a post as 'Mark Solved'? Seems kind of like a dumb question but I couldn't find anything regarding its necessity in the Code of Conduct page.

True. Oh and since my doubts have been cleared, is it necessary to mark a post as 'Mark Solved'? Seems kind of like a dumb question but I couldn't find anything regarding its necessity in the Code of Conduct page.

I can't imagine anybody would care if you marked it as solved or not. I didn't even know you could.

It's just for looks.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

For bullets, because you never know if someday your place got terrorized and you still need your computer.

No, it's for dust proof I believe, and for the looks, and price (if you have too much many you want to slap some at asus's face). I don't find any different with that and normal mobos.

Lol, i don't have that much money. I have a budget of $3000 which includes OS and peripherals (planning on 1440p gaming) and I don't like spending on something that's not useful for me. Thanks for your input :)

I can't imagine anybody would care if you marked it as solved or not. I didn't even know you could.

I asked only cos I saw a 'Mark Solved' below every post and since everyone has been helpful, I didn't really want to pick a single answer that cleared my doubts.