Mouse Choice Advice

Aereto_Compuru

After 1 year of use, my mouse is showing its wear, I need to get a new one before one of its buttons completely gives in. I use the Logitech Trackman Marble, a trackball mouse that I have used for many years, but seen that the more recent models are not as durable. So I am in the market for a mouse that meets comfort and durability standards. As I work part time, I know if a mouse is too expensive when it costs me almost my paycheck (example being a mouse on my wish list).

I can use optical and trackball mice equally, but I use trackball to drastically reduce fatigue and injury risk in the arm and wrist. I may order one within a week, so I'm up for some more research in between gaming and homework.

Considerations:

Spoiler
  • Palm-grip user
  • Hand size matches the length of the Logitech Trackman Marble
  • If optical mouse, need to buy new and durable mousepad (adds cost)
  • Ambidextrous preferred
  • Ergonomic priority
  • Durability Critical (lasts 3 years or more, 5 years if over $50, 10 years if over $100)
  • Plays RPG, RTS, Turn-based Tactics, and Simulators more than FPS
  • Limited budget: $100 ceiling, $50 optimum max
  • Effective Mouse Area: 12 in W, 12 in

Spoiler

Primary PC - Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E531 w/ 8GB RAM and HDD to SSD upgrades - Multi-Purpose / Light Gaming Laptop

Aurelia Null Box - Custom Gamer-Developer Hybrid Desktop PC: Link Below (Intel Core i7 6700, RX 480)

2 minutes ago, Aereto_Compuru said:

After 1 year of use, my mouse is showing its wear, I need to get a new one before one of its buttons completely gives in. I use the Logitech Trackman, a trackball mouse that I have used for many years, but seen that the more recent models are not as durable. So I am in the market for a mouse that meets comfort and durability standards. As I work part time, I know if a mouse is too expensive when it costs me almost my paycheck (example being a mouse on my wish list).

I can use optical and trackball mice equally, but I use trackball to drastically reduce fatigue and injury risk in the arm and wrist. I may order one within a week, so I'm up for some more research in between gaming and homework.

Considerations:

Hide contents
  • Palm-grip user
  • Hand size matches the length of the Logitech Trackman
  • Ambidextrous preferred
  • Ergonomic priority
  • Durability Critical (lasts 3 years or more, 5 years if over $50, 10 years if over $100)

Why not keeping your Trackman and just replace (solder) the buttons?

I did that now 2 times with my MX Performance... really a big issue regarding the price of 70+ bucks and then this quality issues... switches dying after a years use... first the left, then the right one... but due to the ergonomics I bought replacement omron switches and soldered the defective ones out and put the fresh ones in. (2 times because first time only the left, 2nd time only the right)

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

57 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

Why not keeping your Trackman and just replace (solder) the buttons?

I did that now 2 times with my MX Performance... really a big issue regarding the price of 70+ bucks and then this quality issues... switches dying after a years use... first the left, then the right one... but due to the ergonomics I bought replacement omron switches and soldered the defective ones out and put the fresh ones in. (2 times because first time only the left, 2nd time only the right)

If push comes to shove, I can use my 1st model to take apart, but I need to get reliable source for those switches and make sure that they are actually compatible with the shaping of the buttons before I could do that.

I am a novice when it comes to electronics, but I have just enough experience in soldering and assembly to do it. Just needs steady hands and materials.

Of course, switches better be very durable, so finding parts is a challenge and have to resort to ordering online.

>Update: I made the preliminary disassembly of the mouse and took note of the microswitches. While I cannot fully ascertain the manufacturer, it does use pin plunger, operates with 1 Amp, 125 Volt AC, 3 solder pins to the circuit board. If I take this path, I would have to research Omron switches of the same spec, but keep the actuation points in mind, while looking for the right desoldering tools.

Spoiler

Primary PC - Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E531 w/ 8GB RAM and HDD to SSD upgrades - Multi-Purpose / Light Gaming Laptop

Aurelia Null Box - Custom Gamer-Developer Hybrid Desktop PC: Link Below (Intel Core i7 6700, RX 480)

17 minutes ago, Aereto_Compuru said:

After 1 year of use, my mouse is showing its wear, I need to get a new one before one of its buttons completely gives in. I use the Logitech Trackman, a trackball mouse that I have used for many years, but seen that the more recent models are not as durable. So I am in the market for a mouse that meets comfort and durability standards. As I work part time, I know if a mouse is too expensive when it costs me almost my paycheck (example being a mouse on my wish list).

Considerations:

Reveal hidden contents
  • Palm-grip user
  • Hand size matches the length of the Logitech Trackman
  • Ambidextrous preferred
  • Ergonomic priority

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-910-001799-Wireless-Trackball-M570/dp/B0043T7FXE (My boss has this and he really likes it)

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Advanced-Wireless-Trackball-Windows/dp/B0753P1GTS (newer version I think)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

They are both wireless. Not a con, but a potential dealbreaker if it turns out there is signal interference. I have a Wi-Fi NIC, and I usually plug the USB at the motherboard I/O, while the case's top panel I/O may need to be in use.

I'll take note that they are thumb-operated trackballs (saw that there are complaints in the review that they get pretty uncomfortable for extended periods, and I can use the PC for as long as 12 hours), and wait for more suggestions.

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Aereto_Compuru said:

but I use trackball to drastically reduce fatigue and injury risk in the arm and wrist.

Get the logitech MX Master+mousepad with a wrist rest and u wont have that problem.

Its time to switch to an ergonomic office mice.

MX MASTER is known for its good ergonomic and its wireless also use laser sensor so u can use it on any surfaces.

and it has good battery life too

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

On 1/9/2018 at 5:28 PM, Hiya! said:

Get the logitech MX Master+mousepad with a wrist rest and u wont have that problem.

Its time to switch to an ergonomic office mice.

MX MASTER is known for its good ergonomic and its wireless also use laser sensor so u can use it on any surfaces.

and it has good battery life too

I'll take note and saw that there is one at ~$60. Considering that it uses laser, there is the known issue with sudden movements not being picked up accurately.

I would have to spend on separate mousepad and wrist rest due to known durability complaints, especially with wristrest integrated mousepads.

The total price would be harder to swallow at your suggestion.

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, Aereto_Compuru said:

I'll take note and saw that there is one at ~$60. Considering that it uses laser, there is the known issue with sudden movements not being picked up accurately.

I would have to spend on separate mousepad and wrist rest due to known durability complaints, especially with wristrest integrated mousepads.

The total price would be harder to swallow at your suggestion.

Save up then.

YES it is but it will be fine for non competitive games/gamer.

the darkfield sensor is good enough.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

Just now, Hiya! said:

Save up then.

YES it is but it will be fine for non competitive games/gamer.

the darkfield sensor is good enough.

Just 1 paycheck period will cover the costs.

My research on the Master MX came up one major design flaw: The scroll wheel can get stuck at fast-scroll mode, rendering the scroll wheel as uncontrollable as it is useless until I take it apart and fix it. If that happens during important use, there often times that I will not field service them in less than 10 seconds.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Aereto_Compuru said:

Just 1 paycheck period will cover the costs.

My research on the Master MX came up one major design flaw: The scroll wheel can get stuck at fast-scroll mode, rendering the scroll wheel as uncontrollable as it is useless until I take it apart and fix it. If that happens during important use, there often times that I will not field service them in less than 10 seconds.

Afaik its the issues on the original Mx Master and its rarely happen unless u received a faulty one.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

8 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Afaik its the issues on the original Mx Master and its rarely happen unless u received a faulty one.

Hopefully that would not happen, as RMAs can be a serious problem.

The most recent one related to the problem is last month for the Mx Master. The 2S costs full price, so I am uncertain if it is worth the extra.

Spoiler