Best cooler for i7 8700k?

Go to solution Solved by Unimaginative Name,
2 minutes ago, Infow27 said:

What about Corsair H115i? 

Then, at least in your case, the NH-D15 AND Dark Rock Pro 3 is too tall; also too tall would probably be a lot of the high-end air coolers that you could find. Your case supports up to a 280mm rad in front and I think an AIO would look better proportionally in your case. H115i or NZXT Kraken X62 would work.

Should I go for air cooling or liquid cooling for my i7 8700k? 

Delid first, after that, it's pretty much personal preference. Without a delid, overclocking will result in an oven either way.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

You have provided... no information.

What's your case? What's the rest of your build? Do you mind noise? Is it overclocked, if so how much? Where do you live? What's your budget?

Asking this question is like asking "What car should I buy?". Well, we don't know, that's totally subjective and situational.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

I have personally always been partial to Noctua.

Good performance, and nice and quiet.

1 minute ago, Infow27 said:

If you're going liquid cooling, get at least a 240 or 280mm radiator. 120mm rads usually do not provide enough cooling to beat out even a mid-tier air-cooler. For air coolers, you could opt for something like a Dark Rock Pro 3 or a Noctua NH-D15. 

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Just now, Armakar said:

You have provided... no information.

What's your case? What's the rest of your build? Do you mind noise? Is it overclocked, if so how much? Where do you live? What's your budget?

Asking this question is like asking "What car should I buy?". Well, we don't know, that's totally subjective and situational.

Woah woah woah calm down! 

NZXT S340 elite 

i7 8700k 

Msi Z370 gaming pro Carbon

16 gigs of Gskill 

GTX 1080 

I live in India 

Budget : $150

4 minutes ago, Unimaginative Name said:

If you're going liquid cooling, get at least a 240 or 280mm radiator. 120mm rads usually do not provide enough cooling to beat out even a mid-tier air-cooler. For air coolers, you could opt for something like a Dark Rock Pro 3 or a Noctua NH-D15. 

id opt for a large air tower, but if you want an AIO, get one larger than 240mm because only then do they show any actiuall improvement over air towers

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

14 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

I have personally always been partial to Noctua.

Good performance, and nice and quiet.

But the Noctua fans look ugly according to me and moreover I don't think they're available on my country. 

Then, at least in your case, the NH-D15 AND Dark Rock Pro 3 is too tall; also too tall would probably be a lot of the high-end air coolers that you could find. Your case supports up to a 280mm rad in front and I think an AIO would look better proportionally in your case. H115i or NZXT Kraken X62 would work.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

13 minutes ago, Unimaginative Name said:

Should I delid the CPU first? 

Just now, Infow27 said:

Should I delid the CPU first? 

That's personal preference. I don't have the money to buy a new processor if I kill one on accident. It WILL improver thermal performance and in turn overclocking performance. There are new tools that make delidding easier and 'safer' to do, but it doesn't change the fact that it is inherently risky and 100% voids your warranty. 

Spoiler

If you didn't delid any CPU before or have less experience in PC i don't recommend it. You may make your CPU trash.

CPU: R5 1600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5 | RAM: Gskill RipjawsV 3200 MHz 2x8 GB Black | Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400 | PSU: EVGA 650 G3 | SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB | Graphics Card: MSI Armor RX 570 4G OC | Wi-Fi Adapter: Asus USB-N14 | Headset: Arctis 5 | Keyboard: Masterkeys Pro L Cherry MX Red | Mouse: Logitech G402 | Mousepad: Logitech G240 | Monitor: Viewsonic XG2700-4K