Do Mousepads make ANY difference?

Tcrumpen

I've been using cheap office style mouse pads for as long as i can remember however my current one is starting to break and peel and it got me wondering all these gaming mouse-pads do they any kind of difference on the gaming experience i'm using a Logitech G502 set to 3350 dpi which for me is perfect

Absolutely.

Theres different mousepads with different textures or fabrics that either give it less or more friction with the mouse.

I personally like the latter

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

This, right now somewhat older, guide still holds up.

But basically, most the difference comes from the comfort and size of a mousepad and than the surface material can increase or decrease the speed you can move your mouse at, but a mousepad is far from the most important thing in determining how good your mouse movement will be.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Slottr said:

Absolutely.

Theres different mousepads with different textures or fabrics that either give it less or more friction with the mouse.

I personally like the latter

I like less friction for the rodent... so in hectic gameplay it doesn't get lit by friction heat =P

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

Not really, only pro l33t gamers will get into in nitty gritty, you just pick the meterial you like the best and get one made of it, wether it be cloth, rubber or hard plastic.  I prefer cloth mouse mats that are huge and you put your keyboard on top of 

and how how do you use 3K dpi lol anything over 800dpi and my mouse is flying on the screen 

Often, adding the word 'gaming' to anything, be it a keyboard, mousepad, a chair or whatever, is just a way to persuade the gullible to pay more than they should for a mediocre product. That being said, you can get good mousepads that are probably much better than you're used to and that aren't expensive. Steelseries, for one example, have some great mousepads that really do feel good to use, whilst also being relatively cheap. And of course you can now get RGB mousepads, if that's your thing.

7 minutes ago, CryptoMatt said:

Not really, only pro l33t gamers will get into in nitty gritty, you just pick the meterial you like the best and get one made of it, wether it be cloth, rubber or hard plastic.  I prefer cloth mouse mats that are huge and you put your keyboard on top of 

and how how do you use 3K dpi lol anything over 800dpi and my mouse is flying on the screen 

I used to play CS:S years ago and i got used to making very small movements for flick shots; fast forward 9 years where i'm playing MOBAs and i'm naturally used to it, 1000dpi (which is my lowest setting) is painfully slow

3 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

Often, adding the word 'gaming' to anything, be it a keyboard, mousepad, a chair or whatever, is just a way to persuade the gullible to pay more than they should for a mediocre product. That being said, you can get good mousepads that are probably much better than you're used to and that aren't expensive. Steelseries, for one example, have some great mousepads that really do feel good to use, whilst also being relatively cheap. And of course you can now get RGB mousepads, if that's your thing.

I have an RGB Keyboard only cos there was a deal on it and it worked only £20 more expensive to get a mechanical one over a membrane keyboard

As my computer is hidden in a desk cupboard space RGB for me is a gimmick

1 minute ago, Tcrumpen said:

I used to play CS:S years ago and i got used to making very small movements for flick shots; fast forward 9 years where i'm playing MOBAs and i'm naturally used to it, 1000dpi (which is my lowest setting) is painfully slow

If you played cards go you’d think you’d use a low dpi, thays the reason I do. High sensitivity is bad for that game 

1 minute ago, Tcrumpen said:

I have an RGB Keyboard only cos there was a deal on it and it worked only £20 more expensive to get a mechanical one over a membrane keyboard

As my computer is hidden in a desk cupboard space RGB for me is a gimmick

I'm still trying to figure out how someone would be able to game with an RGB mousepad and not be constantly distracted. Couldn't do it myself.

7 minutes ago, CryptoMatt said:

If you played cards go you’d think you’d use a low dpi, thays the reason I do. High sensitivity is bad for that game 

CS:S came way before CS:GO, CS:GO is CS:S with COD skins; anyway, i had the mouse sensitivity down in the game as at the time i had more finite control over my mouse's DPI than the in game sensitivity

Also for me i hated slow sensitivity i got used to do reaction shot which require very quick short sharp movements which if on low sensitivity would require a lot of movement; it's minimisation of movement, same concept i use in guitar playing, only move as much as you have to

4 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

I'm still trying to figure out how someone would be able to game with an RGB mousepad and not be constantly distracted. Couldn't do it myself.

I can't answer that as i don't have RGB mouse-pad just REG Keyboard

17 minutes ago, CryptoMatt said:

You forgot aluminum.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

It does but what matter the most is the mouse sensor.

Optical sensor like PMW3310-3360 or above will have no issues on tracking any mousepad except white,glass or glossy surfaces.

While laser sensor often struggle.

So basically a speed mat will allow you to move your mouse with ease while control mat allowed you to have well more control it decrease the mouse movement speed.

13 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

Often, adding the word 'gaming' to anything, be it a keyboard, mousepad, a chair or whatever, is just a way to persuade the gullible to pay more than they should for a mediocre product.

On most product yes but Keyboard and Mice is an exception.

If u look on amazon the price between gaming keyboard and normal mechanical keyboard with cherry mx switches is almost the same especially on a keyboard like ducky.

And gaming mice actually had the most accurate and precise sensor and they are not overpriced.

What made certain product overpriced is the brand take a look at the price of microsoft sidewider x8 mouse,or razer membrane keyboard and alienware computer.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

I find that they make a huge difference. Definitely invest in a good mousepad. 

From my experience the type of mouse pad does make a big difference.  

It might not necessarily make you any better at CSGO.

I started out with cheapo vinyl covered foam which are small and long lasting.  Very mediocre.

Moved on to big foam matts from Corsair and Razor.  Even got a Solid plastic mouse surface from Logitech.

They all have there pros and cons.

Corsair and Razor Foam tend to mark, pick up dirty and hard to clean.  Decent performance though.

Logitech Gaming Surface is much harder wearing.  However your mouse feel like 'aiming on ice'.  If you even breath that will be transferred down your arm and move the mouse, its that sensitive.  You could manage this buy weighting you mouse.

I'm using the harder surface currently, purely for athletics as my massive XL Corsair pad is filthy and in need of a run though the washing machine.

2 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

It does but what matter the most is the mouse sensor.

Optical sensor like PMW3310-3360 or above will have no issues on tracking any mousepad except white,glass or glossy surfaces.

While laser sensor often struggle.

If u look on amazon the price between gaming keyboard and normal mechanical keyboard with cherry mx switches is almost the same especially on a keyboard like ducky.

And gaming mice actually had the most accurate and precise sensor and they are not overpriced.

What made certain product overpriced is the brand take a look at the price of microsoft sidewider x8 mouse,or razer membrane keyboard and alienware computer.

Good sensors do matter and yes, some gaming mice are worth it. Keyboards though, especially mechanical ones, don't give you any advantage in game and most of it is just hype and personal preference. Some people want a loud, annoying sound when they type. Which is fine if that's what they want of course.

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Get one with a lightning bolt printed on it.  It will make your reflexes faster.

I would fit in with my love of the Ride the Lightning album from Metallica :P

2 minutes ago, Qi_Forever said:

From my experience the type of mouse pad does make a big difference.  

It might not necessarily make you any better at CSGO.

I started out with cheapo vinyl covered foam which are small and long lasting.  Very mediocre.

Moved on to big foam matts from Corsair and Razor.  Even got a Solid plastic mouse surface from Logitech.

They all have there pros and cons.

Corsair and Razor Foam tend to mark, pick up dirty and hard to clean.  Decent performance though.

Logitech Gaming Surface is much harder wearing.  However your mouse feel like 'aiming on ice'.  If you even breath that will be transferred down your arm and move the mouse, its that sensitive.  You could manage this buy weighting you mouse.

I'm using the harder surface currently, purely for athletics as my massive XL Corsair pad is filthy and in need of a run though the washing machine.

I don't play CS:GO i USED to play CS:S

2 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

don't give you any advantage in game

I never said that.

But they do have some gaming feature like macros or gaming switches such as mx speed or optical switches cause they have lower actuation point which allow to react faster or something like that or just gaming aesthetic and RGB Lel

2 minutes ago, Tcrumpen said:

I would fit in with my love of the Ride the Lightning album from Metallica :P

Get the steelseries QCK,Razer goliathus or Logitech 240 or the bigger version of it.

They are the most popular mousepad i knew.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

2 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

I never said that.

But they do have some gaming feature like macros or gaming switches such as mx speed or optical switches cause they have lower actuation point which allow to react faster or something like that or just gaming aesthetic and RGB Lel

I didn't say that you did say that. As for the 'lower actuation point' and all that, it's bollocks frankly and why people will buy these things who know no better and think it will somehow improve their fps skills.

4 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Get the steelseries QCK

Absolutely, very good pads. Though if the OP does play a lot of FPS, they can wear out fairly quickly.

Absolutely, I am used to my specific mousepad and if I use any other mousepad I will fail at jumps in Osu!

Windows 10 | GTX 970 | AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960x | 128GB Ripjaws V 

30 minutes ago, CryptoMatt said:

DPI also depends on the screen resolution. On my 4k display anything below 2000 DPI is painfully slow. I usually use 3200DPI.

1 minute ago, johnukguy said:

I didn't say that you did say that. As for the 'lower actuation point' and all that, it's bollocks frankly and why people will buy these things who know no better and think it will somehow improve their fps skills.

Hey at least they tried

2 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

Absolutely, very good pads. Though if the OP does play a lot of FPS, they can wear out fairly quickly.

By the time it wear out i am sure he can buy another cause its cheap

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]