CES 2018: HTC - Vive Pro Announced.

WelshDdraig

Source: https://overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/htc_announces_their_vive_pro_vr_headset/1

08162245928l.jpg

HTC has just announced their new VR Headset, the Vive Pro.
This is an updated version of one of the 2 main VR headsets with some upgrades/updates.

Featuring:

A Lighter Body

New Strap Design

Uses SteamVR tracking 2.0, which is compatible with SteamVR tracking 1.0

Built-in Headphones - so no need for the Audio Headset Strap like the Vive 1

And new screen resolutions of 1440x1600 per eye, 2880x1600 in total.

The last point I think is massive since it has an increase of 78% screen resolution compared to the original Vive.

HTC have said that they aim to be selling this device alongside the current model, so I assume this is not a replacement for the Vive,

Much like the Xbox One and One X, both play XBox One games - just one can do so with more features.

What is interesting to note from this is HTC will be creating their own Wireless headset adapter to be released later this year, based on Intel's WiGig technology.

If you wish to upgrade from a fully working Vive set-up, you can do as the HMD can be available separately as a stand-alone purchase, or as a kit if the full set-up is needed.

Currently, the price and availability are unknown.

My thoughts?

It looks impressive. The article says lighter design, I would like to know the entire weight, and the increase in screen resolution is nice.

However, since HTC said they will be selling this alongside the original Vive, I assume this is a step up model - much like the iPhone 7 & X,

as such, I'm a bit scared of the price, especially since pricing for VR headsets are still quite steep and is one of the biggest obstacles in getting VR mainstream.

Your thoughts- please leave them down below!

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

Just don’t buy a headset new and it’s cheap lol, I see them selling used for $450 all over the place 

while yes yes that is expensive if you don’t have a job and don’t manage your expenses correctly (if you live paycheck to paycheck getting vive should be the last of your concern but you can’t Complane about the price of VR because it’s a luxury, I dont see people complaining that a lambo cost $250,000 because the people who buy it are the ones that can afford it. You can always buy a cheaper car (or cheaper VR head set) it just won’t be as luxurious as the vive.

Nice post, but unfortunately you were beaten to it by a topic that has more replies and covers more content

HTTP/2 203