Your favorite jacket?

Nalgasp3ludas

Guys, I want to buy a good, and warm jacket because the one I´ve been using is getting old. Please post your favorite jackets, if you find a link it would be awesome aswell. If not images will work. The one I´ve been using is tommy hilfiger packable puffy jacket. Its very warm, I use it with -12C with just a thin sweater and it keeps me very warm.

This is the jacket:

https://www.amazon.com/Tommy-Hilfiger-Mens-Packable-Jacket/dp/B01B41T77U?th=1

I use the water and wind resistent one, and I also had the black nylon one, but feathers are coming out lol. Bought it for 190 dollars if I remember correctly about 2 years ago

Bought mine almost five years ago. This is the closest i could get
https://www.amazon.com/Soia-Kyo-Braydon-Classic-Peacoat/dp/B01MPX3NCW/ref=sr_1_178?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1515446304&sr=1-178&nodeID=1040658&psd=1&keywords=pea+coat+men

Its a Pea coat. essentially the Duffel coats more modest cousin. 

Thick and heavy wool with a silk lining in mine. 

I have never been too cold in one. Or too hot. Its a very happy medium.

Rain and wind proof without making awful rustling noises or letting the drops spatter on your face. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Right now I'm mostly wearing a Levis jacket.

https://www.amazon.com/Levis-Mens-Four-Pocket-Hooded-Jacket/dp/B00JB8Q3E4?th=1

When it gets really cold I have a Merrell Caribon jacket.

https://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Mens-Caribon-Down-Parka/dp/B00QSQAMVW?th=1&psc=1

I also have a Banana Republic wool jacket, a Nomis snowboard jacket, some lighter boutique jackets.

I will probably buy one of these next week:

https://www.schottnyc.com/products/mens-pea-coat.htm?color=55&catID=5

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

Right now I'm mostly wearing a Levis jacket.

https://www.amazon.com/Levis-Mens-Four-Pocket-Hooded-Jacket/dp/B00JB8Q3E4?th=1

When it gets really cold I have a Merrell Caribon jacket.

https://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Mens-Caribon-Down-Parka/dp/B00QSQAMVW?th=1&psc=1

I also have a Banana Republic wool jacket, a Nomis snowboard jacket, some lighter boutique jackets.

I will probably buy one of these next week:

https://www.schottnyc.com/products/mens-pea-coat.htm?color=55&catID=5

Those jackets/coats look very heavy, is it tho? The thing I like about the goose feather jackets is that it keeps you very warm and are very lightweight

I like heavy fabric Carhartt jackets, when its really cold out I slip on a long sleeve t-shirt with some custom chromium wire used for vaping stitched into it and wired to a regulator and thin lipo battery to adjust the heat. It worked great during the cold snap of -45C(-40F) thats with the wind chill. I have another jacket I use from Walmart, on sale during summer months for $20, its great along with a $20 hoody from same place. My gloves are yellow work gloves that I also outfitted with the wire to heat the finger tips. I am thinking of wiring up a decent scarf, to get the wind chill out of my lower face area, I found the zipping up all the way the wind still gets in. Sure you can spend a fortune on commercial heated garmets but there is no need. I purchased the wire for $5, just sew it in, figure out your resistances, find battery, heat regulator is just a resistive potentiometer.

I'm currently using a Point Zero jacket with a -20C rating, I picked it up for $150-200 3 years ago(this would be its 4th winter), I need to replace it due to the 60 Down 40 Feather... Plus the black die is slowing turning grey xD

Might try layering instead of paying out insane amounts for a jacket...

40 minutes ago, Teejo said:

Those jackets/coats look very heavy, is it tho? The thing I like about the goose feather jackets is that it keeps you very warm and are very lightweight

Only the Merrell might be heavy. However depending where you live it's sometimes worth the weight.

Edited by Egg-Roll
Cann't Spelllz

3 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

I'm currently using a Point Zero jacket with a -20C rating, I picked it up for $150-200 3 years ago(this would be its 4th winter), I need to replace it due to the 60 Down 40 Feather... Plus the black die is slowing turning grey xD

Only the Merrell might be heavy. However depending where you live it's sometimes worth the weight.

Not that cold to be honest. Lowest it has ever got here is -18c. It was last year, this year the lowest it has got is to -12c. I lived in toronto for about 1 and a half year and boy that was cold. 

I hate layering I feel very uncomfortable. 

3 minutes ago, Teejo said:

Not that cold to be honest. Lowest it has ever got here is -18c. It was last year, this year the lowest it has got is to -12c. I lived in toronto for about 1 and a half year and boy that was cold. 

I hate layering I feel very uncomfortable. 

Yea today I was sweating in it, but I blame the cold weather for the past 3 weeks more than the jacket it self. Just because it's rated for -20 doesn't mean it will make you too hot anything below that, my jacket has a dual zipper function which tightens the jacket (not uncomfortable) to what a standard 1 zipper jacket does. So if it gets too cold i use the second (outer) zipper to keep better warmth.

Because this is Canada(same goes with some northern states), we sometimes have too... Layering is kinda like a art form, where practice makes perfect.

The last thing anyone wants is to buy a jacket with not enough warmth retention. The jacket you currently use looks nice esp with the 90/10 ratio, why not buy a new one with a different color?

Sounds like you are in Canada, if so and you have a Cabelas near by go in and see if they have any of these left: http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-GUIDEWEAR-WINDSTOPPER-JKT-REG/1828703.uts?slotId=8

It does come in solid black, so you aren't stuck with one of their ugly designs. About a month ago they clearanced them out for $60 online, can't get online anymore but my local store had one left last week so I picked up my third one for $30... It was -35 with windchill here a few weeks ago and wearing a long sleeve shirt under that is good enough for me for a few hours. If you are going to be outside all day its pry not enough, but good for shorter trips. Easily the most comfortable jacket I've found and they even make them in a medium tall, which virtually no one else does anymore, talls usually start at large. While its not waterproof it does hold up in the rain for 15 minutes or so, soon after it will start soaking through. On the bright side, since it doesn't have the waterproof coatings, it is nice and quiet rather than the plastic on plastic scraping of most coats when you move around.

As for commonly found jackets, I've always been happy with Columbia Titanium series. I'd usually tear one really badly once a year and need to replace when I was working on cell towers, since I no longer do that the most recent one I bought is now 5 years old and have nothing wrong with it to justify replacing, so I'm not sure how the recent versions are.

I did buy two different ~$300 North Face coats to dedicate as a Snowboarding jacket last year and wasn't happy with either, just settled on using my old Titanium until I find an actual boarding jacket that doesn't look like a 3 year old went at it with a pack of crayons.

10 minutes ago, Scheer said:

Sounds like you are in Canada, if so and you have a Cabelas near by go in and see if they have any of these left: http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-GUIDEWEAR-WINDSTOPPER-JKT-REG/1828703.uts?slotId=8

It does come in solid black, so you aren't stuck with one of their ugly designs. About a month ago they clearanced them out for $60 online, can't get online anymore but my local store had one left last week so I picked up my third one for $30... It was -35 with windchill here a few weeks ago and wearing a long sleeve shirt under that is good enough for me for a few hours. If you are going to be outside all day its pry not enough, but good for shorter trips. Easily the most comfortable jacket I've found and they even make them in a medium tall, which virtually no one else does anymore, talls usually start at large. While its not waterproof it does hold up in the rain for 15 minutes or so, soon after it will start soaking through. On the bright side, since it doesn't have the waterproof coatings, it is nice and quiet rather than the plastic on plastic scraping of most coats when you move around.

As for commonly found jackets, I've always been happy with Columbia Titanium series. I'd usually tear one really badly once a year and need to replace when I was working on cell towers, since I no longer do that the most recent one I bought is now 5 years old and have nothing wrong with it to justify replacing, so I'm not sure how the recent versions are.

I did buy two different ~$300 North Face coats to dedicate as a Snowboarding jacket last year and wasn't happy with either, just settled on using my old Titanium until I find an actual boarding jacket that doesn't look like a 3 year old went at it with a pack of crayons.

Im living in northern mexico. The city I live is very cold in winter because of its height. And yeap columbia jackets are pretty good. When it got very cold in canada I slept with a columbia jacket and sweater on lol.

41 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Yea today I was sweating in it, but I blame the cold weather for the past 3 weeks more than the jacket it self. Just because it's rated for -20 doesn't mean it will make you too hot anything below that, my jacket has a dual zipper function which tightens the jacket (not uncomfortable) to what a standard 1 zipper jacket does. So if it gets too cold i use the second (outer) zipper to keep better warmth.

Because this is Canada(same goes with some northern states), we sometimes have too... Layering is kinda like a art form, where practice makes perfect.

The last thing anyone wants is to buy a jacket with not enough warmth retention. The jacket you currently use looks nice esp with the 90/10 ratio, why not buy a new one with a different color?

I think I found the perfect jacket

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Tommy-Hilfiger-UltraLoft-Insulated-Packable-Hooded-Puffer-Jacket-Blue-Sz-M/173000816669?epid=574835823&hash=item2847a6f81d:g:rqYAAOSwEOpaG0UR

Its basically the same jacket im using but double layered and with a nice hoodie.

1 hour ago, Teejo said:

It depends what you call heavy. The Levi's one is on the heavier side, but it's very warm I wear it up to -25ish.

I wear the Merrell when it drops from -30 to -50. It's long enough on me that it keeps the gentlemans bits warm. It's actually quite light, 80% down 20% feather. If you want a really lightweight jacket, try and find a decent softshell. I have one and it's good right up to -25.

Are you looking for a more budget friendly jacket? Check out https://www.the-house.com They have some really, really good discounts there.

I got my Nomis jacket for $50, regular price was well over $600. It was a previous years style. It's lasted me...probably a decade.

47 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

The Merrell is quite light actually. Lighter than most of my other jackets.

I agree about layering though. Definitely helps.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, Teejo said:

Im living in northern mexico. The city I live is very cold in winter because of its height. And yeap columbia jackets are pretty good. When it got very cold in canada I slept with a columbia jacket and sweater on lol.

I think I found the perfect jacket

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Tommy-Hilfiger-UltraLoft-Insulated-Packable-Hooded-Puffer-Jacket-Blue-Sz-M/173000816669?epid=574835823&hash=item2847a6f81d:g:rqYAAOSwEOpaG0UR

Its basically the same jacket im using but double layered and with a nice hoodie.

Thats polyester, I wouldn't trust it for a long term use, one maybe 2 seasons.

Before i got the 60/40 down I used a Poly filled jacket, it was a huge pain, the poly would clump up and wasn't very warm after 4 months... Just saying maybe others have had a different experience, also the jacket in question didn't have the ribbed stitching which may prevent that issue.