Worth upgrading? 7500/H270 -> 6600K/Z170?

Gerr

My current bedroom system, which I use as a backup gaming system, has a i5-7500 CPU on a H270 mobo and a GTX 1060 6GB.  I recently replaced the CPU in my main gaming rig and now have a spare i5-6600k that can OC to 4.6Ghz @ 1.32v.  My initial plan was just to sell that CPU, but I thought of another option.  I have a spare NZXT x41 AIO, so I thought I could buy a used Z170 mobo, put the 6600K into it, and replace my current 7500/H270 cpu/mobo combo with the 6600K/z170 combo which can overclock.  Yes, I know the 6600K/Z170 is older tech, but it can overclock where the 7500 can't.  Plus Intel secretly removed RST from the H270 chipset, so I can't use my 64GB SSD drive as cache for my 7200RPM game drive.  And yes, I notice a difference!

My question is would I get a good jump in FPS by switching from a 7500/H270 combo running at stock speed to a 6600K/Z170 combo running at 4.6Ghz, both with a GTX 1060 6GB?  Just not sure it's worth the money or effort.

The 6600K may be older tech, but it's still the same IPC as the 7500. If I were in your position, I would do it. Z170 boards are easily found for decent prices, and you can still sell off the i5 7500 and the H270 motherboard anyways.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

nyet

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

9 minutes ago, Gerr said:

My question is would I get a good jump in FPS by switching from a 7500/H270 combo running at stock speed to a 6600K/Z170 combo running at 4.6Ghz, both with a GTX 1060 6GB?  Just not sure it's worth the money or effort.

Yes, you will definitely see the FPS improvement, more so if you were using 1070.

Whether it's worth your money or effort really depends on individual. Well I really enjoy building/ customizing PCs and I treat it more as entertainment, hobby and lots of fun. I do spend money on upgrading parts once in a while and I feel it's fine. 

CPU/ CPU Cooler: i7-6700K - 4.5GHz with Noctua DH-15S | Motherboard: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 Amp! Edition | Case: Corsair 400C | PSU: FSP Aurum S 650W | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM FHD | Speakers: JBL Pebbles | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310

I think the 6600K is still a good CPU i own one which is also nice silicon and before Intel gives us 8c/16t on mainstream platform in around 9 months ill stick with it for my gaming system. I even consider to use it even longer when i dont see any games i play bottleneck because of CPU which has not yet happend for me. 

You're going from a quad-core to another similar quad-core. Not worth it, look into getting an i7 or going CFL/Ryzen. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, Gerr said:

Just sell whatever you were going to sell

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

32 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

You're going from a quad-core to another similar quad-core. Not worth it, look into getting an i7 or going CFL/Ryzen. 

Its his backup machine and he already got that 6600K which also won the silicon lottery so i think 100 dollar on a z170 mobo is not the worst deal and he can still sell the 7500 and his H270 board and get the money for a board from this components. 

2 hours ago, Klemmbrett said:

Its his backup machine and he already got that 6600K which also won the silicon lottery so i think 100 dollar on a z170 mobo is not the worst deal and he can still sell the 7500 and his H270 board and get the money for a board from this components. 

Or he can just sell the 6600K? And then have more money overall?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Gerr said:

Does it really matter with all that shit that's going on right now that concerns Intel and Intel CPUs??

With all the security issues the CPUs cause and the fixes that aren't even implemented right now, we can't even say wich one of those two will come out on top. Not enough information right now we have...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

5 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

It doesn't affect the average consumer

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

It doesn't affect the average consumer

How can you know that when Spectre 2 isn't fixed yet?!

You don't!
I don't!

NOBODY does!

4 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

NOBODY does!

Disagree with that :)

5 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Does it really matter with all that shit that's going on right now that concerns Intel and Intel CPUs??

Not only Intel CPU´s, ARM and AMD because there using the same Architecture Intel licensed that to them long ago. But as far is i know AMD has some kind "protection layer" and you need physical access to an AMD machine to do something harmful and also Linux based systems have a different approach with their CPU to OS communication by the  Kernel so less likely that something happens their over the network but yea i know 99 % of Gamers use Windows anyway. Whats most awful about this is that Intel knows this since June and the fix their working on will be a performance minus for everyone.

Z170 boards are typically $100 new for good basic oc-ing, and ~$50 used. All depends on if you're willing to spend to get what is potentially only a few % more than what you have rn.

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

11 hours ago, Klemmbrett said:

Because you strongly believe in Intel???

We are talking about VW level shit here!!

Knowingly releasing shit that doesn't work the way it should...

Not only Intel CPU´s, ARM and AMD because there using the same Architecture Intel licensed that to them long ago.

That's a lie.

The Architecture has nothing to do with it.

You just have to take a look at the Intel Atom series.

None of those are listed anywhere - except for the latest generation.

Because the problem is speculative excecution, Atom didn't have that before the Z3000 series (Bay Trail) and the ones with speculative (out of order) excecution are listed as affected by this issue...

But as far is i know AMD has some kind "protection layer"

no, they don't.

Their speculative excecution works in a way that this shit we are talking about, does not happen.

That is one of the reasons the Intels were faster but we can call that now a cheat because they were faster at the cost of security.

If you would, you could say that AMD didn't do it the way Intel did because they knew that it will be an issue in the future...

Whats most awful about this is that Intel knows this since June and the fix their working on will be a performance minus for everyone.

And that they released TWO new CPU Series in that timeframe!

How can you defend a company that knowingly releases products that aren't safe to use?!

3 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:
14 hours ago, Klemmbrett said:

Because you strongly believe in Intel???

We are talking about VW level shit here!!

Knowingly releasing shit that doesn't work the way it should...

VW betrayed intentional to make their engines apear clean, this is a bug on hardware level that Intel did not build intentional  and even if for what reason to harm themselves? I cant even remotly understand how you can associate this bug to the VW thing. This failure is 10 years old and i dont want to defend Intel in any way just mentioned  that there not only ones affected by this. 

Whats most awful about this is that Intel knows this since June and the fix their working on will be a performance minus for everyone.

And that they released TWO new CPU Series in that timeframe!

How can you defend a company that knowingly releases products that aren't safe to use?!

I did not defend Intel in any way and even in the comment you quoted i criticized them for 2 things :)

If you would, you could say that AMD didn't do it the way Intel did because they knew that it will be an issue in the future.

Nope they knew shit about this issue everyone did till june 2017. And the public knows it since 2018 ..

Because its 01:45 ill summarize:

You hate Intel for that breach/bug/misconstruction whatever you wanna call it 
You wont accept that this is not only an Intel problem.
You think AMD is superior. 
You dont understand what this is about, you might have read an article, but if you read and interpret them like comments on this forum i can kinda see why. 
You wont accept that one of the issues is an architecture problem on hardware level.

You read between the lines and interpret some strange thoughts into my comments and those of others.

im out of this i could as well talk to a wall or teach my magic unicorn to fly so i can avoid traffic jams in the future. 

7 hours ago, Klemmbrett said:

VW betrayed intentional to make their engines apear clean, this is a bug on hardware level that Intel did not build intentional  and even if for what reason to harm themselves? I cant even remotly understand how you can associate this bug to the VW thing. This failure is 10 years old and i dont want to defend Intel in any way just mentioned  that there not only ones affected by this. 

Intel knew about it for at least six Months.

Did or did they not release any CPU in the last six Months?!

They Intentionally released two faulty CPU series (we ignore Kaby-X right now because nobody cares)

I did not defend Intel in any way

And why do you defend Intel right now?
Why do you attack me personally?
Why don't you recommend everyone that wants to buy Intel right now to wait a couple of Weeks until this shit really is over?!

That is the only right thing to do.

Because this thing is NOT over right now. Spectre 2 is still not fixed by Intel.
AMD was never really affected...

What do you say about what fefe said about this:
https://blog.fefe.de/?ts=a4b102bf

And what do you say about this tweet:

Because its 01:45 ill summarize:

You hate Intel for that breach/bug/misconstruction whatever you wanna call it 
You wont accept that this is not only an Intel problem.
You think AMD is superior. 
You dont understand what this is about, you might have read an article, but if you read and interpret them like comments on this forum i can kinda see why. 
You wont accept that one of the issues is an architecture problem on hardware level.

You read between the lines and interpret some strange thoughts into my comments and those of others.

im out of this i could as well talk to a wall or teach my magic unicorn to fly so i can avoid traffic jams in the future. 

There we go again...

I say somethings you don't like, you don't have an argument, you attack the messanger...

What I am saying is:
a) Intel is Lying about other manufacturers

b) most of this shit only affects Intel CPUs, others not so much. ARM seems to be also affected

c) This thing is a Hardware Bug that can only really be fixed in Hardware, not Software.

And what do you say about this:
https://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=11596293&postcount=739

So in the end:

You are shilling for Intel, I am warning that the shit isn't over!!

Since you are a German as well, read this:

https://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=11596461&postcount=762 <- If you look a bit, you at least know what he has done in the past couple of years.

Sie muessen auf das Verhalten von AMD zurueck fallen um den selben Schutz zu haben und das wird sie Performance kosten,

Translate:

Intel has to fall back to the way AMD does Branch prediction for the same security and that will cost performance for them

ppht3d6ez8801.jpg