Is my hdd dead?

SimoneP

So one of my HDD's is a Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB. I bought it about 5 years ago and used it mainly to store games and series.

I was watching an episode of a serie today, which was located on that HDD. Multiple times during the episode it freezes and I see some sort of artifacts, this happens fairly often when I watch series that are located on that drive, I just thought that the HDD was slow. Games located on that drive do work correctly though. But while watching the episode, it suddenly froze and nothing happened for about a minute, then I got some sort of error and my drive was nowhere to be seen in the explorer. I opened the BIOS and I couldn't see it there either. So can I assume that my HDD is dead and that I should buy a new one? Luckily nothing important was on that drive.

yeah sounds like it, I would try a different sata port just in case though.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Is it making any clicking noises? What about SMART? If it was failing it would have warned you by now

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

27 minutes ago, silentprototipe said:

Is it making any clicking noises? What about SMART? If it was failing it would have warned you by now

As soon as Windows starts warning you about the drive health, it's usually too late already hah :D 

And active SMART monitoring is disabled in the BIOS by default for some reason, which doesn't make it easier to keep track. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

I opened up my case, fiddled a bit with the sata cable on that drive and now the drive is working again. Still I kind of feel like the HDD is dying. There are no weird sounds though. I downloaded CrystalDiskInfo and it shows up as a good drive. https://imgur.com/a/LBgm6

13 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

As soon as Windows starts warning you about the drive health, it's usually too late already hah :D 

And active SMART monitoring is disabled in the BIOS by default for some reason, which doesn't make it easier to keep track. 

Huh, Not for me lol. When windows warned me I still had time to buy a new HDD and move over my data and it still works 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

Just now, silentprototipe said:

Huh, Not for me lol. When windows warned me I still had time to buy a new HDD and move over my data and it still works 

You got lucky then :P I've had a few instances where backing up the drive killed it halfway through. The last stress that made it go belly up :D 

14 minutes ago, SimoneP said:

I opened up my case, fiddled a bit with the sata cable on that drive and now the drive is working again. Still I kind of feel like the HDD is dying. There are no weird sounds though. I downloaded CrystalDiskInfo and it shows up as a good drive. https://imgur.com/a/LBgm6

Yep, looks good. Could've genuinely been just a loose connection. Keep an eye on the SMART status once in a while.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Glad to hear it worked out, you may want to try a different SATA cable and see if that helps, where the issue seems to be somewhere in the connection.

You can also download our free diagnostic software SeaTools to actively monitor your drives' health if you like.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

Is it normal that both of my hdd's are SATA 3gb/s instead of 6 gb/s? I'm assuming they aren't able to use 6gb/s because they're old. I have 4 sata 6gb/s ports and they are all in there but only my SSD shows up as 6gb/s. https://imgur.com/a/x2wZp

41 minutes ago, SimoneP said:

Is it normal that both of my hdd's are SATA 3gb/s instead of 6 gb/s? I'm assuming they aren't able to use 6gb/s because they're old. I have 4 sata 6gb/s ports and they are all in there but only my SSD shows up as 6gb/s. https://imgur.com/a/x2wZp

It's normal for hard drives that were made during a certain time period when SATA II (SATA with 3.0Gb/s interface) was the widely used standard, before SATA III (6.0 Gb/s interface) came along and became popular. Drives that are SATA II interface will work in SATA III ports, but will be limited to the capabilities/speeds of SATA II.

It is important to note that the SATA version speeds are theoretical speeds, and while SSDs performance can meet them quite well, it's been said that HDDs don't tend to fully saturate the theoretical capabilities of the port, so you likely wouldn't notice an extreme difference in performance when it comes to using a HDD as far as whether the port is SATA II or III.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

Thanks for the explanation, I figured as much.

I tried to run some tests with HD Tune and it shows two warnings in the health section, I have no idea if that's anything to be concerned about: https://imgur.com/a/M1pAi

I also added a screenshot of the read test, and it seems to be fine I guess, although it sometimes dips down a bit for a moment.