Motherboard-chassis connectors

Something I've wondered for a very long time, and what baffles me every time I watch any build clip (or when I build my own pc back in the day);

Why are there a lot of pins for the chassis connecting it to the motherboard, and why are they all stupid little connectors that don't fit right the first time. I know Asus did an adapter back in the day, but why hasn't there been a standard for every board and every chassis, so you could just use one plug that does everything?

Or am I thinking to user friendly?

probably because each manufacturer can put pins in a different spot (like GND pin on the other side etc.)

If you have many pins, you can probably plug them in whatever order you like, just like MOBO manual says you should

I suppose if someone builds his/her own pc, then he or she has minimum required knowledge to know how to read manual and connect those pins :)

When I was builidng my rig, I had no problem with understanding how to connect them - it was very clearly written and shown in the images

With that said - if manufacturers would keep one common standard of placing pins always in the same order, then having one big plugs would be amazing :)

You mean front panel connectors? It's because the case manufacturer might not want to put all these buttons on it, and make the case look cleaner. My case, the In Win 101, only has 3 front panel connectors. 1 SATA power cable to provide power to the red front LED, and 2 2pin connectors for the hard drive LED and hidden power button. This make it look really nice imo.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

22 hours ago, thegreengamers said:

You mean front panel connectors? It's because the case manufacturer might not want to put all these buttons on it, and make the case look cleaner. My case, the In Win 101, only has 3 front panel connectors. 1 SATA power cable to provide power to the red front LED, and 2 2pin connectors for the hard drive LED and hidden power button. This make it look really nice imo.

Well, you might have a point, but it's also that every case has a power button, a reset button and an led to show if it's on or not. That could be put into one connector. USB ports go to the headers on the motherboard, audio in and out (also known as mic and headphone) could be in one connector and even my ye olde CoolerMaster Centurion 5 has a FireWire connector on the front IO, that would go to its own connector and header setup.

That would be 4 connectors in stead of the 12 or so connectors now. And I still see those little connectors coming out of the front IO. They have standardized so much, why not that?