Verizon throttling unlimited data.

JCMPTech

So this morning I switched back to a 10GB plan because I never go over 10 anyway and the throttling was noticeable enough to not make it worth it.  But I had no idea how much I was being throttled. Litterally within in a minute my speed trippled, then within an half hour it was wayyy over my average on the unlimited plan.  I recently reset my phone otherwise I'd have months of speed test all below 5mb, then I switch back to 10Gb and I speed test around 15-20.

Screenshot_20180103-083910.png

For unlimited data, they give you full speed for like the first to GB but then they slow it down to something like 256 kbs 

40 minutes ago, HZapperz said:

For unlimited data, they give you full speed for like the first to GB but then they slow it down to something like 256 kbs 

That's "always on data" and 3rd party providers unlimited plans that use Verizon nsetowek according to the terms and conditions, the Beyond Unlimited plan (what I had) , they only throttle streaming services to standard definition (1.5-3mb), once you go over 10. I also only use a gig or two every months anyway, and it always speed test to under 3mb.  

Edit: actually according to Verizon own site I am wrong I should get unlimited 720 and only throttled to standard definition speeds (1.5- 3mb) once I break 22GB.  I never used more than three, and usually around one or two. 

Verizon Beyond Unlimited. Price: $75 per month and up. The fine print: The amount of 4G LTE data is unlimited, but your speed could be throttled once you hit the 22GB mark for the month. Video quality is limited to 720p on phones and 1080p on tablets.

So they should only be throttling me after 22GB but were throttling me out the gate.  

Intresting I Thought only after 22GB ish did they throttle.  Ive been a Tmobile customer for years now though and probably staying that way for the future. but verizons plan did seem way better then they had a year or two ago and somewhat tempting. 

Though Those Speeds are slow ( Maybe not where your located Though) with 2-3 bars im easily over 30Mbps  and Full bars of service can hit up to 100Mbps but usually more in line of 60s-80s. 

I use on Avg 50-60 Gigs a month and have hit close to 200 GB back when my home internet went down for 2 months. Never have i been throttled so far over the last 4 years when on the unlimited plan. There Tired plans after you hit your limit you get slow throttled speeds ( But they Did some skecthy stuff by no throttling speed tests when past your limit at one point)  Though ive torreneted at 100Mbps and been way over the limit of unlimited throttling they just raised it from 32GB to 50GB very recently. 

• 3 weeks later...

Word on the street is they are throttling YouTube, Netflix and Amazon.  There was a bunch of buzz about an app called Wehe, that compares your speed to the speed of apps and Verizon is hitting them all.  Now you can argue that 4Mbps is enough for 720p, but not 1080 or even 2K that I use a lot on YouTube. 

Verizon speeds:

Netflix: 4Mbps

Youtube: 5Mbps

Amazon: 8Mbps

XKMbfjW.png

On 1/22/2018 at 2:20 PM, schwift said:

Word on the street is they are throttling YouTube, Netflix and Amazon.  There was a bunch of buzz about an app called Wehe, that compares your speed to the speed of apps and Verizon is hitting them all.  Now you can argue that 4Mbps is enough for 720p, but not 1080 or even 2K that I use a lot on YouTube. 

Verizon speeds:

Netflix: 4Mbps

Youtube: 5Mbps

Amazon: 8Mbps

XKMbfjW.png

didnt AT&t and fios as soon as that app explode just throttle it to stop people from testing it . it worked fine for me right after i think the verge did a article but now its like 1mbps when i pay for gigabyte for home , via using it ,on wifi .im able to stream 4k and even 8k youtube with no problems so i think they gave the app the middle finger and said no more unlimited traffic

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS