windows surround (sonic) + sound card ?

pat182

So I got an Asus essence STX for sound card and I was playing around with windows sonic but it get really confusing:

* note that the sound card is stereo only so any type of surround mode is all software

enabling windows sonic in proprieties with the 7.1 for headphones looks to work, but in my sound card software I still have other options like stereo only or 7.1 and many surround mode.

is it suppose to work as intended with leaving my sound card default setting ? (2 channel mode )

I'm I suppose to set 7.1 in my card software too ? or will it just double the effect and trash the sound ?

I'm I suppose to leave it at 2 channels and activate Dolby sound and/or virtual surround on my sound card ?

theres so many scenario its rlly weird theres no real answer anywhere

and there s no good video out here too, maybe it would be a good test for the channel

Disable any Windows related audio crap, put in the surround mode in the software of your soundcard only.

As far as settings goes, with my STX I was using

2 Channel, 96 KHz PCM sample.

7.1 Virtual Speaker Shifter and Dolby Headphones.

(I wasn't using Dolby Pro Logic)

Along with SVN enabled and everything else in the right side button menu disabled.(like GX, etc...)

That said, I wish you luck and hope you don't get the same issue with it as many others, myself included.

Here's a little sample of the primary issue (Lower your volume or set your headphones aside on your head.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZqELNjFh0o

If you look in the comment, someone also posted a link to their own video, showing the same issue.

It got so bad, I just got rid of mine. Great sound wasn't worth potentially losing my hearing. So I'm really wishing you luck that you are unaffected by this.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

41 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Disable any Windows related audio crap, put in the surround mode in the software of your soundcard only.

As far as settings goes, with my STX I was using

2 Channel, 96 KHz PCM sample.

7.1 Virtual Speaker Shifter and Dolby Headphones.

(I wasn't using Dolby Pro Logic)

Along with SVN enabled and everything else in the right side button menu disabled.(like GX, etc...)

That said, I wish you luck and hope you don't get the same issue with it as many others, myself included.

Here's a little sample of the primary issue (Lower your volume or set your headphones aside on your head.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZqELNjFh0o

If you look in the comment, someone also posted a link to their own video, showing the same issue.

It got so bad, I just got rid of mine. Great sound wasn't worth potentially losing my hearing. So I'm really wishing you luck that you are unaffected by this.

Yea its even more confusing cause if you put it in 2 channel , you have 2 types of surround, virtual 7.1 and pro logic that can be ON at the same time,

from my experience, I dont like dobly cause it makes the sounds to fake for my taste, when you watch youtube or music it doesn't sound good but had great experience with virtual surround 7.1 on the STX software , I'm just trying to understand if I need to put virtual surround with windows Sonic or just sonic or just virtual surround

6 minutes ago, pat182 said:

Yea its even more confusing cause if you put it in 2 channel , you have 2 types of surround, virtual 7.1 and pro logic that can be ON at the same time,

from my experience, I dont like dobly cause it makes the sounds to fake for my taste, when you watch youtube or music it doesn't sound good but had great experience with virtual surround 7.1 on the STX software , I'm just trying to understand if I need to put virtual surround with windows Sonic or just sonic or just virtual surround

Just Virtual Surround in the Asus software, disregard Windows Sonic.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

22 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Just Virtual Surround in the Asus software, disregard Windows Sonic.

I guess ill give it a try

I can explain these settings if you have any questions. First, these technologies work by converting surround sound to binaural audio - so you shouldn't have more than one at a time, cause then the input into the second one would be binaural already. Doing the process again at that point is really bad. 

With windows sonic for headphones, with the virtual 7.1 option checked, it will change the windows default format to 2 channel, 16 bit. The default format is what ultimately goes to the dac with applications that used shared rendering (most). Effectively, windows sonic should still work with media players, which should be able to output 7.1 regardless, and you can usually configure the mixer to just always output 7.1. And it should work with the few games which give you audio output channel options, like CSGO and TF2.

On the other hand, getting dolby headphone on asus sound cards is relatively simple, and compatibility is really good. You just go into the asus control panel, select 8 channels for audio channel, select headphone for analog output, and then tick dolby headphone and you can have room options as well to control amount of reverb.

13 hours ago, an actual squirrel said:

I can explain these settings if you have any questions. First, these technologies work by converting surround sound to binaural audio - so you shouldn't have more than one at a time, cause then the input into the second one would be binaural already. Doing the process again at that point is really bad. 

With windows sonic for headphones, with the virtual 7.1 option checked, it will change the windows default format to 2 channel, 16 bit. The default format is what ultimately goes to the dac with applications that used shared rendering (most). Effectively, windows sonic should still work with media players, which should be able to output 7.1 regardless, and you can usually configure the mixer to just always output 7.1. And it should work with the few games which give you audio output channel options, like CSGO and TF2.

On the other hand, getting dolby headphone on asus sound cards is relatively simple, and compatibility is really good. You just go into the asus control panel, select 8 channels for audio channel, select headphone for analog output, and then tick dolby headphone and you can have room options as well to control amount of reverb.

what confuse me is that when I put in 8 channel- headphone on the sound card, I still have the option of pro logic II  , wich I dont know if I should enable 

so basicly selecting 8 channel- headphones or 2 channel with virtual surround would give the same result ?

and I usualy dont active dolby since I dont like the reverb effect

You won't have the option for pro logic if you set the audio channels to 8 channels. Pro logic is matrix decoding for surround sound signals contained in a 2 channel format due to bandwidth limitations. I don't think this type of problem exists anymore, things can just be natively multichannel nowadays.

You have to use 8 channel +headphone with dolby headphone. That's how you can hear the 7 angles available in a 7.1 track on headphones.

2 hours ago, an actual squirrel said:

You won't have the option for pro logic if you set the audio channels to 8 channels. Pro logic is matrix decoding for surround sound signals contained in a 2 channel format due to bandwidth limitations. I don't think this type of problem exists anymore, things can just be natively multichannel nowadays.

You have to use 8 channel +headphone with dolby headphone. That's how you can hear the 7 angles available in a 7.1 track on headphones.

ahhh ok ok , im not in front of my pc right now, it might be virtual surround 7.1 that still show when 8 channel is activated that i have to click too ? ill check at home

from google it looks like that

xonar.jpg