Linus, here is an cool idea for you

Griunvaldas

Probably everyone had heard about whooping powerful, ultra bASS speaker systems which claims to be DANK but isn't.

Here I have an interesting thing to showoff. I saw guy on Facebook which sells LG CM9740 speaker set for ~700 bucks. He was claiming these are very powerful speakers with 3000W RMS POWER!! :o

Whooping fuken 3 kilowats!! 

I originally tought he misspelled one zero as they should be 300W RMS at it's best, then I guessed that seller declared peak power instead of RMS, HOWEVER... After some research I found that LG actually claims every speaker is rated for ~725w and whole system power is 2900 W.

So I thinked: who is crazy enough to buy various stuff and get it broken? Of course Linus, if you are buying worthless 1000 USD HDMI cables, why you can't spend 700 USD for worthless stereo system :D 

And here is an ultimate test for it: if it's actually rated for 3 kilowatts, why we shouldn't try to play them with 3KW amp? That would be nice imho :D

What do you think?

It's 2900 peak:

Amplifier
Total Power Output 2900W
└ Front 725W x 2
└ Subwoofer 725W x 2

And no, there are plenty of higher quality pro audio speakers for that price that aren't just a bunch of red LEDs and marketing.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It's 2900 peak:

Amplifier
Total Power Output 2900W
└ Front 725W x 2
└ Subwoofer 725W x 2

And no, there are plenty of higher quality pro audio speakers for that price that aren't just a bunch of red LEDs and marketing.

Good point, but they do not claim it's an peak power. Also as you can see here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-CM9740-High-Power-Hifi-Anlage-speakern-2-900/dp/B00IVI3PAU

They claim that it's 2,900W RMS

image.png.8192b9a0ae33194affd8dc4e6ed412c2.png

Listing is in German, but uploader is LG Electronics. I believe I seen something related to too-high RMS in their official website too :)

4 minutes ago, Griunvaldas said:

So I thinked: who is crazy enough to buy various stuff and get it broken? Of course Linus, if you are buying worthless 1000 USD HDMI cables, why you can't spend 700 USD for worthless stereo system :D 

because that was legitimately something people do believing they get a better experience, and linus decided to buy one in order to make a factual argument about why they are worthless, as a PSA for people to stop buying them.

as for the speakers.. i'm sure you can drive them at 725 watts, but the question is if they still sound good at that point, and if there are not better offerings at that point. there's no statement to be made, no point to be proven. you'd just literally be buying something to make a clickbaity title, and gather the youtube monnies. there's plenty of channels to do that, and while linus's sales department actively throws away money, they have access to more interesting ways to make more money.

to make a comparison.. if they wanted to blow up some crappy speakers, there's an endless amount of overrated speakers on ebay and amazon they can choose from, for next to no money.

12 minutes ago, Griunvaldas said:

Good point, but they do not claim it's an peak power. Also as you can see here:

Product descriptions on amazon are very unreliable.

You can basically ignore that.

It's not RMS because it uses a single standard 15A power cable.

No house circuit would be able to handle 3kw, it would need to have two separate power cables and plug into to independent breaker circuits to be 3kw.

Or use something special like a powercon 32A which literally nobody will be able to plug into their house.

There is nothing on the LG website that suggests that is RMS power.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

as for the speakers.. i'm sure you can drive them at 725 watts, but the question is if they still sound good at that point,

Output 725 W x 4 (8 Ω at 1 kHz, THD 25 %)

25 PERCENT LMAO

What a joke xDxDxD

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Output 725 W x 4 (8 Ω at 1 kHz, THD 25 %)

25 PERCENT LMAO

What a joke xDxDxD

<----- has no idea what that even means.

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

<----- has no idea what that even means.

Let's just say that you usually want that number to be between 0.001 and 0.01 :)

https://www.lifewire.com/total-harmonic-distortion-3134704

Basically you are right, it does not sound good at all, because 25% is not even music anymore it's just noise :D

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Let's just say that you usually want that number to be between 0.001 and 0.01 :)

https://www.lifewire.com/total-harmonic-distortion-3134704

makes sense :P

by that i would like to add the following tho.. would i be correct in stating that the market before mentioned speakers are for doesnt care, because their choice of music only contains a 15 second intro, a 20 second outro, and 3 minutes of solid 25Hz in the middle.