Can i move a copy of windows from a laptop to PC

GrPo

I have an older laptop that came with Win 7 Pro 64bit. Is there a way to reuse that on my desktop PC ? and install something else on the Laptop.

Probably. you can download an ISO and burn it to a disc and then use the product key on the bottom of the laptop to activate it. You may need to reactivate it over the phone for free.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Probably. you can download an ISO and burn it to a disc and then use the product key on the bottom of the laptop to activate it. You may need to reactivate it over the phone for free.

No,unfortunately these laptops come with OEM copies of windows which cannot be reused on other machines.

yes but you need to be able to connect the laptop/PC hdd to the same machine with sata

- teamspeak.ltt-unofficial.com

- teamspeak.ltt-unofficial.net

- teamschnitzel.ltt-unofficial.com

- teamschnitzel.ltt-unofficial.net

cpu: Intel sandybridge-E 3930k @ 4.2Ghz

cooler: corsair h100 @ full speed push-pull

motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme

gpu: 2x EVGA GTX660's & 1x EVGA GTX980

ssd: 2x samsung 256GB 840 pro raid 0

ssd: 1x samsung 1TB 840 evo

hdd: WD green 3TB

hdd: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (st1000dm003)

hdd: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (st31000520as)

psu: corsair ax1200i

ram: 8x 4GB corsair platinum @1866mhz

case: coolermaster cosmos II

monitors Main: 8x LG 22EA53 1080p 60hz

monitor Extra: 1xiiyama prolite G2773Hs 1080p 120hz 27"

keyboard: logitech g19

mouse: corsair m60

Lenovo T550

RaspBerry pi webserver:

Nas:

StatusOffline.

PC straight to the modem/router/switch/DHCP-Server/... with a 20cm (+-8inch) cat6a patch cable because same price as cat5.

ISP: Telenet (belgium)

Speed: 60Down-4Up (+- 45€/month)

ping to there servers: +-8ms

ping to other Belgians: +-12ms

- wheels for cosmos II

Short answer: If it came with a OEM version of Windows (they usually say so, at least in Norway  :unsure: ) you can´t, but if it came with a a normal version you can :)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Short answer: If it came with a OEM version of Windows (they usually say so, at least in Norway  :unsure: ) you can´t, but if it came with a a normal version you can :)

How do i know if it did ?

How do i know if it did ?

In Norway it normally says so in the definition of the PC you buy, but I have no idea too check in other countries :(

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

In Norway it normally says so in the definition of the PC you buy, but I have no idea too check in other countries :(

Its OEM i checked, and what if HDD fails or something else? i lose my windows license ?

Its OEM i checked, and what if HDD fails or something else? i lose my windows license ?

Jupp :( It will probably be covered by the warranty though  :unsure:

Tor

License is tied to mobo, not hdd. You can change hdd and use same license on same mobo. Movinng to another mobo you have to use phone activation. On bad day even it might not work. You'll be better of buying Home Premium license unless there's some feature in Pro veersion you really need. Self bought OEMs are much more flexible than those which come with pcs.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Theoretically and practically YES but legally NO!

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.

Yes you can. if you register through the phone, I got Dell OEM Ultimate on like 6 machines (pc's and laptop's)

And how did you manage to do that?

I have moved my Windows around from machine to machine. (OEM edition). I have just reactivated it over the phone and everything is good. I get the concept of OEM and how it is illegal, but my thought is if Microsoft themselves allow this, then meh.

Main Rig: Mainboard: Asus P8Z77 Pro Processor: Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz (Swiftech H220) Memory: G-Skill Sniper Series 16GB 1866MHz Video Card: Asus GTX660 Ti Drives: 500GB (Western Digital HDD) 120GB (OCZ Agillity SSD) 1TB (Western Digital HDD) 1TB (Seagate Barracuda HDD) 120GB (Kingston SSD) PSU: Corsair TX 850 OS: Windows 7 Premium 64-Bit Monitor Type: 26" Asus & 52" Samsung Smart TV

Laptop: Dell XPS 17" - CPU: Intel i7-2720QM 2.2GHz Memory: 16GB (stock) Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M Drives: x2 500GB Features: BlueRay Drive, JBL Speakers, 3D Monitor

The license is not lost. You can re-use it but only on that laptop.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch