Good time to upgrade TV?

vong

So have been looking at OLED panels lately since they're on sale and have my eye on the LG 65" C7, now just wondering if it's a good time to upgrade. OLED tech in TV's still seem new and looks like it could last a while but I kinda want to know how long it'll last until something better comes out since the C7 is expensive. I've had my Sony Bravia 55" for 5 years now and kinda feel like upgrading.

Thoughts?

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

LG have looked into burn-in a lot since their first gen OLED TVs. so it's not a catastrophic issue, but it can happen as image retention. i believe there's a setting that inserts a screensaver when not in use to prevent image retention 

Sony also has their own OLED which is almost as good as LG 

LCD are certainly a good alternative. Samsung QLEDs probably 

2 minutes ago, CombatComedy said:

black Friday and cyber Monday were good times to upgrade ;)

yes either that or also in January theres usually pretty good deals, usually around same time as CES is going on as new models are shown for the first time, to hit market around april/may, so stores can then see what they need to make space for and start selling off the older models.

don't know if that's how it works were you come from, but I'm from Scandinavia and here its exactly like that every year.

My Gaming PC: 27833

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Depending on your budget, I would throw in LCDs with local dimming in the lot. It may not be as nice as an OLED, but if you're still uneasy about burn-in and whatnot, it'll certainly be a lot better than edge-lit LCD TVs.

I don't have a low budget but the C7 is the absolute most I would spend on a TV

1 hour ago, CombatComedy said:

black Friday and cyber Monday were good times to upgrade ;)

Not in Australia. Big chains like JB Hifi and Harvey Norman don't really do that, they just have sales whenever.

1 hour ago, Technicolors said:

LG have looked into burn-in a lot since their first gen OLED TVs. so it's not a catastrophic issue, but it can happen as image retention. i believe there's a setting that inserts a screensaver when not in use to prevent image retention 

Sony also has their own OLED which is almost as good as LG 

LCD are certainly a good alternative. Samsung QLEDs probably 

Yeah burn-in is a huge concern. I have a HTPC and leave it static sometimes. Saw on a forum that LG and the store the owner bought the B6 from refused warranty (had it for almost a year) because it was the users fault.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

50 minutes ago, vong said:

I don't have a low budget but the C7 is the absolute I would spend on a TV

That's a pretty large budget.

Looking around on the interwebs, the best local dimming LCDs I've found appear to be the Sony Z9D, Sony X940E, and 2017 Vizio P. But these TVs are also quite large at 65" or larger. If you want something smaller, Sony's X900E also has local dimming and comes in 49".

39 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

That's a pretty large budget.

Looking around on the interwebs, the best local dimming LCDs I've found appear to be the Sony Z9D, Sony X940E, and 2017 Vizio P. But these TVs are also quite large at 65" or larger. If you want something smaller, Sony's X900E also has local dimming and comes in 49".

I could get the B7 which is way cheaper (like half price of the C7) although I'm not sure if I want to stick with 55".