1. Budget & Location

~£1000 UK

2. Aim

Main purpose is 1080p gaming, but will also be used for running multiple VMs (low performance - for security testing). A small form factor portable PC best suites my needs currently, and I'd love this system to last me another 8 years at least (maybe too much to ask...). Gaming is Fallout 4, CS:GO, Project Cars, PUBG etc. with the possibility of some streaming.

3. Monitors

1x 1080p 60Hz monitor.

4. Peripherals

I have a monitor, mouse, keyboard and 2.5" hdd lying about somewhere. Student license for Windows 10 Pro or I'll use Linux.

5. Why are you upgrading?

8yo Intel HD Laptop - light gaming at 10fps is not very enjoyable.

First build! I'm a Computer Science student with a passion for tech who has survived on Intel HD for too long (previously GeForce3 Ti 200). Looking to build a console killer for casual gaming and handling the heavier workloads of my uni course, while using my trusty Thinkpad for programming and day to day things. Aiming for a Ryzen 5/GTX1070 build in a Fractal Node 202 and have put together a PC Part Picker list.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bMDfKZ

I'm having issues picking a GPU as I want to maximize my performance within my (loose) budget and would be interested in overclocking but it seems like in this case the GPU fans face the case fans so I'd like a card with cooling that can handle this arrangement while having good performance. Alternatively I could run a large card (eg Palit SuperJet) with good cooling and no case fans. Is there actually much performance benefit to a larger card with higher clock speed over a lightweight looking card such as the Gigabyte Mini ITX series or is it all cooling and overclock speeds? Help needed!!

I think I could do with advice on the CPU cooler and PSU as I've heard mixed opinions online. I think my motherboard is good as well but I'm open to other ideas.

Cheers and happy new year everyone!!

For an extra tenner you can get a 1070 ti with a great cooler.

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/jCY8hq

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor  (£193.14 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (£29.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  (£111.86 @ More Computers) 
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£84.60 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£82.10 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Titanium Video Card  (£369.97 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Fractal Design - Node 202 HTPC Case  (£71.98 @ AWD-IT) 
Power Supply: Silverstone - 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply  (£80.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Case Fan: Scythe - SY1212SL12H 45.5 CFM  120mm Fan 
Case Fan: Scythe - SY1212SL12H 45.5 CFM  120mm Fan 
Total: £1024.63

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

2 minutes ago, IsaacThePooper said:

I'm just not sure if you can fit that 2nd 120mm fan there.

It has 2 slots, they go in just fine

A power supply/Case combo is available. I can't speak long term for the power supply but it's an option.

Just now, Damascus said:

It has 2 slots, they go in just fine

oh okey but with that msi 1070ti idk if u can fit it that well

Just now, IsaacThePooper said:

oh okey but with that msi 1070ti idk if u can fit it that well

If you look at the design they use a very slim 2 slot design.  Should be fine

1 hour ago, Damascus said:

For an extra tenner you can get a 1070 ti with a great cooler.

Good spot! Unfortunately it seems too good to be true as it's now £442 and out of stock on Amazon. Still decent value for a 1070Ti but I was aiming for sub-£400 on the graphics card. Any recommendations?

17 minutes ago, caleba98 said:

Good spot! Unfortunately it seems too good to be true as it's now £442 and out of stock on Amazon. Still decent value for a 1070Ti but I was aiming for sub-£400 on the graphics card. Any recommendations?

Dang, either wait for a 1070 ti to come back in stock, get a second hand 980 ti or get a 1070.

Yea, I decided on a 1070 build, but just can't choose the actual card. I think I'm making more of a fuss than is required, but I am worried about this cooling setup because it is such a small case. Would the Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1                 or would literally anything work?