About Reinstalling Windows!

Foul

Hey,

So the past couple of weeks ive been running into a lot of Computer crashes, with my whole computer freezing and my only option is too reset it, 

So some people said a good idea would be to maybe reinstall windows, 

Im looking for anyone who knows how, or has done this before, too give me a quick guide, or even link me one, I dont want too mess anything up,

And do you lose all the stuff on your hard drive?

Thanks in Advance !!

BACKUP FIRST!

Before you do anything, if you value your documents, pictures, videos, music.  Put them in a second location.  A backup is just a second copy somewhere else of everything that is important.

Reinstalling Windows is definitely territory for losing information on your computer if you don't have a backup.

Also you should test your parts before going through the trouble if you are getting freezes and crashes.

Here's a few to get you started:

Prime95 = CPU/Cooling test

Memtest86+ = RAM test

GSmartControl = HDD SMART testing

I agree with everything @Paul Vreeland said, it's also worth noting that reinstalling an operating system is the same as installing it for the first time, except you wipe everything on the drive.

This link should help you, it's the same for Windows 10 as it is for other versions of Windows to my knowledge: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4000735/windows-10-reinstall

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Paul Vreeland said:

BACKUP FIRST!

Before you do anything, if you value your documents, pictures, videos, music.  Put them in a second location.  A backup is just a second copy somewhere else of everything that is important.

Reinstalling Windows is definitely territory for losing information on your computer if you don't have a backup.

Also you should test your parts before going through the trouble if you are getting freezes and crashes.

Here's a few to get you started:

Prime95 = CPU/Cooling test

Memtest86+ = RAM test

GSmartControl = HDD SMART testing

Hmm, 
Thanks, 

tbh, i don't value anything, LMAO, 

I just reset it too factory settings not too long ago in hopes of it solving the problem, but it did not... And another guy said he was running into the same problem and a reset solved the problem.

Well, take any tech advice from others with a grain of salt.  Including me!

I've been professionally repairing PCs for over 15 years and the simplest way I can explain receiving tech advice from someone who isn't a techie:

There's a million things that all have to go right, in the right order, for your tech to function optimally.  From plugging it into the wall, electricity flowing through all the tiny parts in the power supply, through the motherboard's parts, through the processor and RAM, sending bits around in the Operating System and finally send signals to your output devices that allow you to enjoy the technology: the display, speakers, etc.

Any one part of that chain breaks, and you might have a PC (or any tech) that might as well be a door stop.  The technician knows how to find which part has the failing component and fix the problem.  "Some guy" may have had a similar symptom but drastically different parts failing or software issues.

Another example: Just because my stomach hurts doesn't mean I have tumors, ulcers, appendicitis, or just gas.  The symptom is the same (stomach hurts), but the treatment is different in each case.

The point of all that is that if you want to learn, you should try to find out what is the problem before blindly following someone's advice.  The tools mentioned above can help you discover hardware issues.

11 minutes ago, Paul Vreeland said:

Well, take any tech advice from others with a grain of salt.  Including me!

I've been professionally repairing PCs for over 15 years and the simplest way I can explain receiving tech advice from someone who isn't a techie:

There's a million things that all have to go right, in the right order, for your tech to function optimally.  From plugging it into the wall, electricity flowing through all the tiny parts in the power supply, through the motherboard's parts, through the processor and RAM, sending bits around in the Operating System and finally send signals to your output devices that allow you to enjoy the technology: the display, speakers, etc.

Any one part of that chain breaks, and you might have a PC (or any tech) that might as well be a door stop.  The technician knows how to find which part has the failing component and fix the problem.  "Some guy" may have had a similar symptom but drastically different parts failing or software issues.

Another example: Just because my stomach hurts doesn't mean I have tumors, ulcers, appendicitis, or just gas.  The symptom is the same (stomach hurts), but the treatment is different in each case.

The point of all that is that if you want to learn, you should try to find out what is the problem before blindly following someone's advice.  The tools mentioned above can help you discover hardware issues.

Do you have discord or something i could message you on? 
because nothing seems to be working lol.