New Gaming Build Need Feedback/Opinions

**Edited** After reading the Build Plan Thread Recommendations I've edited the post to provide further clarity.

Hello All,

I'm throwing together a new system primarily used for gaming. I'd like to hear any feedback or opinions or even better,  any helpful hints or suggestions you may have. This is my second build, my first being an AMDfx-6350.

1. Budget & Location

• Pacific Northwest, USA 
  • $1500-$1800

2. Aim

• 90% Gaming
  • 10% Editing
  • 100% sick build

3. Monitors

• (2) Samsung 27" 1080p

4. Peripherals

• Corsair STRAFE RGB

5. Why are you upgrading?

• The hamsters that powered my AMD FX-6350 died.  

I'll be rocking the following parts list:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jKstXH

Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jKstXH/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor  - Purchased @ Fry's Electronics
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  - Purchased @ local retailer: Iguana Micro
Motherboard: MSI - Z370 SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard   Purchased @ Fry's Electronics
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  Purchased @ Amazon
Storage: Western Digital - Black 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  Purchased @ Amazon
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($114.99 @ SuperBiiz) - Not a necessary drive. Would only be used as back-up and additional game storage. To get the system 'off the ground' I would simply need the WD Black M.2 SSD. 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card - FROM PREVIOUS BUILD WILL BE REPLACED WITH A 1070 IN A FEW MONTHS
Case: Corsair - Crystal 570X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  Purchased @ Fry's Electronics
Power Supply: Cooler Master - 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased @ local retailer: Iguana Micro
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  ($135.89 @ Anywhere) 

Thank you for your input!

4 minutes ago, Berrr said:

Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  ($135.89 @ OutletPC) 

Just get one from Kinguin. Much cheaper.

??? Wanna join ??? my free??gift card??? giveaway??? Click ⤵ the subrscribe button?? ,turn? the notifications on ??? and finally leave a nice comment ??down below⬇⬇ , now without further adue ??? lets get on?? with the video▶▶

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The total will be like $1800? You could get a 1080 Ti with that budget. And an 8700K, quite possibly

Since its primarily a gaming system though the 8600k performs exactly the same as the 8700k. Only reason to up is if he needs the hyper threading and 2 extra threads.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

1 minute ago, Thinkfreely said:

performs exactly the same

"exactly" is a very strong word to use to compare two different tiers of intel CPU.

??? Wanna join ??? my free??gift card??? giveaway??? Click ⤵ the subrscribe button?? ,turn? the notifications on ??? and finally leave a nice comment ??down below⬇⬇ , now without further adue ??? lets get on?? with the video▶▶

27 minutes ago, PerfectPlasma said:

Just get one from Kinguin. Much cheaper.

Thanks for the heads-up. I wrote the post rather quickly and didn't think to explain where I'd be purchasing the products from (tbh I forgot I exported them from the partpicker). I'm going to edit the original post for clarity.I'll take a look at Kinguin.

17 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

Since its primarily a gaming system though the 8600k performs exactly the same as the 8700k. Only reason to up is if he needs the hyper threading and 2 extra threads.

Since I wont be performing hard-core editing/hosting, etc. the 8700k had more than what I needed (so does the i5? probably). I will be doing some editing but nothing that will require that many cores. Thanks for your feedback :)

17 minutes ago, PerfectPlasma said:

"exactly" is a very strong word to use to compare two different tiers of intel CPU.

Except it is Exactly the same cpu. Intel just didn't give it the same amount of threads or hyper threading (Neither helps in gaming past 4 cores 8 threads), and a lower out of the box core boost, thats all. Oh and a 5 instead a 7.

Here is a chart from Gamer Nexus. In gaming they perform exactly the same, minus a slight boost, because again the clock speed is higher out of the box. For the OP it would be 0 sense to spend an extra $100 or more for a cpu that will perform in the what he wants to do the same.

NcMkk5d.png

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

~$300 cheaper. You can also get a Windows key from Reddit or Kinguin for $25. The $300 will allow you to get a 1080 Ti instead of the 1070 you've been planning.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor  ($276.87 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($46.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI - Z370 SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($92.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: GeIL - EVO SPEAR 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($175.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($129.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Toshiba - P300 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($74.17 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  ($135.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1052.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-29 19:15 EST-0500

:)

CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($57.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($214.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($139.99 @ Best Buy) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $977.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-29 19:28 EST-0500

This will allow you to get the better GTX 1080 ti, and if you are fine with the Cheap Windows Key from Kinguin this will be great

Edited by Ordinarily_Greater
Forgot to remove the AIO cooler

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Is it really necessary with two CPU coolers? :P

i already edited it, and i came back with better list (Windows 10 included and $15 more than your list)

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($214.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($139.99 @ Best Buy) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($89.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1067.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-29 19:33 EST-0500

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

1 minute ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

and i came back with better list (Windows 10 included and $15 more than your list)

I just left the OEM Windows Pro that OP chose in the build. He could easily save $50 just by buying the non pro version. That PSU is a very good deal, though. Didn't spot that one

:)

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

. That PSU is a very good deal, though. Didn't spot that one

gonna put that to the "PSU of the day" list

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

4 hours ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Total: $977.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-29 19:28 EST-0500

This will allow you to get the better GTX 1080 ti, and if you are fine with the Cheap Windows Key from Kinguin this will be great

Thanks for the suggestions. I really wanted to try out an AIO and M.2 (even though the M.2 I chose isn't the  best it could be) because it'll be something new for me. I've done the air cooled thing. The Fractal Design is lovely, but fml this corsair once lit up will look great (if I do my cable management right). Excellent suggestion on the PSU too.