Is high static pressure or cfm better for cpu towers?

brownninja97

So I have a Raijintek Ereboss

Image result for raijintek ereboss

That little guy, anyways the fan you see in front died so im looking for a 140mm replacement. 

trouble is I have little knowledge about fans and ive been so out of touch with hardware for the past three years so I cant really remember much. 

Anyways luckily Noctua has a 30ish% off sale right now so im looking for a replacement 

Im unsure if I should be going for a cooler designed around max cfm or the ones that work best with radiators, I thought since the fin array is pretty dense it might still be a factor. 

Also is Noctua still a good brand 

Thanks in advance.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

3 hours ago, Yatys 93 said:

Noctua is a good brand providing you don't mind the colours, static pressure is better for a cooler tower

It really depends on the fans and the heatsink, fan speed used, and so on. Pressure optimized fans won't necessarily be better.

Some heatsinks would work better with say a Corsair AF series over a SP series. Especially when the fin spacing is relatively wide and the stacks not too thick, there's not really as much restriction as you might think, and the fans won't be operating that far down the P-Q curve where a pressure optimized fan with worse performance in free air would pull ahead.

Eyeballing it, the Ereboss is not particularly dense, but it definitely doesn't have notably wide spacing either. The Ereboss comes with a slim 140 mm fan with mediocre static pressure, for what it's worth. But based on the design you don't want something with terrible static pressure, I'm sure.

I'm not sure which fans fit on the Ereboss, though. The mounting mechanism may or may not work with 25 mm thickness (standard) fans. I don't know offhand.

5 hours ago, loculus said:

I'm not sure which fans fit on the Ereboss, though. The mounting mechanism may or may not work with 25 mm thickness (standard) fans. I don't know offhand.

It should be fine with any fans with 120mm mounting holes that aren't so deep that you can't pull the rubber screws through--so 25mm should be fine.

@brownninja97

Static pressure is nothing without airflow and vice-versa. For a dense fin array, having a bit more static pressure can help.

Is your cooler still under warranty? If it is, you can just ask the manufacturer for a replacement fan. 

If not, let us know what your budget is and what ram you're using.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

16 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

It should be fine with any fans with 120mm mounting holes that aren't so deep that you can't pull the rubber screws through--so 25mm should be fine.

@brownninja97

Static pressure is nothing without airflow and vice-versa. For a dense fin array, having a bit more static pressure can help.

Is your cooler still under warranty? If it is, you can just ask the manufacturer for a replacement fan. 

If not, let us know what your budget is and what ram you're using.

Stock samsung ram so no heatsinks, i can go up to £20 but I want to do it fast while the winter sales are still a thing. im fine with or without leds 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

On 12/30/2017 at 2:29 PM, brownninja97 said:

Stock samsung ram so no heatsinks, i can go up to £20 but I want to do it fast while the winter sales are still a thing. im fine with or without leds 

Depending on how much you'd prefer to spend, some good options include:

Vortex: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/BXDwrH/cougar-case-fan-cfv12hb

NB-eLoop: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/NN8Zxr/noiseblocker-case-fan-nbeloopb122

NF-F12: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/b2vRsY/noctua-case-fan-nff12pwm

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.