Apple could be subject to criminal charges in France over phone slowdowns

johnbanks

Wow, comparing the massive battery pack replacement of a car to an iPhone battery replacement... thats a special kind of stupid.

6 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

I didnt even know that was a thing but let's be real, you're going to need a technician(mechanic) to change an electric car battery. You dont need a technician to turn your phone off, pop a screw or slide the back open and swipe a battery.

They cant void your warranty for that, just like you can take your car to a mechanic and get the brakes changed without voiding the warranty.

WTF were they supposed to do? Put it on the top? They wouldnt be able to turn ever without flipping.

The difference is if you get a mechanic to work on your car you are employing a professional so the warranty can't be voided, but if you open the battery container yourself you are voiding the warranty.   It's just like any other product in that regard.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 hours ago, leadeater said:

Even with that aside it's a legal and regulation issue, self train all you like it's not the same. Being good at electronics and knowing electrical safety is actually very different things. You can be the smartest electrical engineer around in your field and still have no idea the proper and safe way to install a solar array, or 3 phase isolation switch for UPS bypass or 48V PoE midspan injector.

Electrical safety certification is not an indicator of your knowledge or competence of electrical theories and practical ability to do a job in the field, it teaches you how to not die and how to help others who need it.

I'm good at electronics, I can build my own stuff but I firmly stick below the legal limits (50V) because I know my limits and understand why they are there. There are a few things we are allowed to work on for 230V AC and that is wiring an extra light socket, very minimal stuff, but I always consult with my father first who has limited electrical registration and I always test to make sure anything I'm working on is not live.

Unlike most other home handy man tasks electrical work is by far the most dangerous and least understood. Even if I cut my finger off or put an axe in to my foot I'm less likely to die than a mistake when working on mains power. Never work alone.

When I was in the trade, I was always hearing the electricians whinge about the electrical engineers.   There is definitely a gap between knowledge and practical application. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

I didnt even know that was a thing but let's be real, you're going to need a technician(mechanic) to change an electric car battery. You dont need a technician to turn your phone off, pop a screw or slide the back open and swipe a battery.

They cant void your warranty for that, just like you can take your car to a mechanic and get the brakes changed without voiding the warranty.

WTF were they supposed to do? Put it on the top? They wouldnt be able to turn ever without flipping.

Both void your warranty if it's not done by a certified technician that is sponsored by the company or insurance agency which is, again, ridiculous given you have enthusiast truck modders all over the U.S. with no certification who can definitely do higher quality engine work than just about any standard insurance-approved garage.

To be fair I was not quite aware it weighed 600KG. I thought it was similar to the Chevy Volt. Mind you this is something I'd look up before trying to do it myself, but even then it's not feasible without lifting the vehicle up.

So you dont even know the basics of the Tesla battery packs yet think any old person can just swap batteries. Brilliant! 

52 minutes ago, Bit_Guardian said:

Both void your warranty if it's not done by a certified technician that is sponsored by the company or insurance agency which is, again, ridiculous given you have enthusiast truck modders all over the U.S. with no certification who can definitely do higher quality engine work than just about any standard insurance-approved garage.

To be fair I was not quite aware it weighed 600KG. I thought it was similar to the Chevy Volt. Mind you this is something I'd look up before trying to do it myself, but even then it's not feasible without lifting the vehicle up.

Not really, many phones that have a back cover that can be taken off has the SIM card under the battery so it would be silly if taking out the battery would void the warranty... 9_9

9 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Not really, many phones that have a back cover that can be taken off has the SIM card under the battery so it would be silly if taking out the battery would void the warranty... 9_9

Many older phones, to be clear. Most smart phones today are totally sealed without some propped tools to pry the components apart.

8 minutes ago, Bit_Guardian said:

Many older phones, to be clear. Most smart phones today are totally sealed without some propped tools to pry the components apart.

Most but not all of them, TBH i wont buy a phone that is sealed up and lacks microSD card slot and headphone jack... ;)

20 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Most but not all of them, TBH i wont buy a phone that is sealed up and lacks microSD card slot and headphone jack... ;)

So I guess no new phones for you in 3 years or so.

15 minutes ago, Bit_Guardian said:

So I guess no new phones for you in 3 years or so.

Im fine if its used... :D At least i wont have problems with warranty when i flash LOS on it :P . My current phone(SGS5) is still an overkill so it will be staying for several years i think.

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Im fine if its used... :D At least i wont have problems with warranty when i flash LOS on it :P . My current phone(SGS5) is still an overkill so it will be staying for several years i think.

Yeah I get the feeling my Pixel 2 XL is good for 5 years with a battery replacement after 3.