£180 to spend, need a good set of speakers

Go to solution Solved by Recon-UK,

These are pretty damn good for the money.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/microlab-solo5c-80watt-20-high-fidelity-bookshelf-speakers-wooden-finish-with-remote-control

You can always add some depth with this nice active sub.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/subwoofers/cambridge-audio/s80/camb-s80-blk

The bookshelf's are also active and do not require amplification, just a decent DAC.

Fuck sake i added wrong links, sorry.

Fixed now.

So I've got about £180 saved up, and I want to spend it on a much-needed set of speakers.

I'm already rocking a pair of DT 770's and an Asus Xonar DX, so all I really need is a recommendation for either a 2.1 set of speakers(the Corsair SP2500's seem to recommended quite a bit) or something more DIY, like a set of bookshelf speakers plus a sub,

I'm all for the bookshelf+sub combo, except I haven't really done that sort of thing before and I feel like it would be far more complicated than say, building a computer. 

Any help or recommendations are much appreciated.

If it's any help, I mainly listen to quite bassy electro house and glitch hop.

(I was also recommended the DT770's and the Xonar DX on this forum, I respect and trust you guys on here quite a bit :D )

Stop................................

Bookshelf + sub combo will sound miles better than any off the shelf 2.1 system.

As for the specifics, I can't really help on which speakers since I'm not good with UK availability and pricing.

Bookshelf + sub combo will sound miles better than any off the shelf 2.1 system.

As for the specifics, I can't really help on which speakers since I'm not good with UK availability and pricing.

Stop.................

The Corsair sp2500s are EPIC

another option http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-003-ER  I love and are cheap this week only.

Corsair 650D, i5-4690K (Corsair h50 cooler), Asus ROG maximus VII Ranger, Asus GTX 980ti Strix, 16GB Corsair Vengeance pro series Red (2x8gb 2400mhz), Corsair HX850W, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Sennheiser HD595 / Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 250 ohm, Samsung 850 pro 128GB / WD black/blue/green, OCZ vertex 3 60gb . Corsair M40/Corsair k70.

HD 598s!

EDIT: realised you wanted speakers not headphones .__________.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Oh, hey, I don't really mind, any recommendations would help. Who knows, they might be available AND fit in my budget?

HD 598s!

EDIT: realised you wanted speakers not headphones .__________.

Haha, yeah, it's alright, no worries.

Besides, the 598's are pretty baller headphones :D

The Corsair sp2500s are EPIC

[linus unboxing vidya]

So I actually watched the video of this debauchery of a product, and I learned something. The subwoofer doesn't even go all the way down to 20 Hz! Wow, what a waste of money.

So I actually watched the video of this debauchery of a product, and I learned something. The subwoofer doesn't even go all the way down to 20 Hz! Wow, what a waste of money.

Wow, what? I didn't pay attention to the numbers and things, I assumed that because it was a sub, it'd do super low frequencies too. 

Only 35Hz, hmm, how odd.

EDIT: I like the fact that your display picture matches your username, props to you for dedication!

EDIT: I like the fact that your display picture matches your username, props to you for dedication!

:rolleyes: Other people started calling me a sheep, so I humored them.

if I were you, i wouldn't spend that much money on computer speakers.. they are shit anyway. lol

get a good pair of headset, you are all set. 

plus a $50-$80 speakers from logitec.  good enough

Yes the 2500 is kind of crap.

Any recommendations, then? I see you're a Mayflower rep :D

EDIT: I know almost nothing about studio monitor and subwoofer companies, so a few names would be greatly helpful. Anything at all, really.

if I were you, i wouldn't spend that much money on computer speakers.. they are shit anyway. lol

get a good pair of headset, you are all set.

plus a $50-$80 speakers from logitec. good enough

Hardly. I have DT770's paired with an AntLion Modmic, and that serves me very well, but sometimes you just want to play your music out loud, y'know?

My vote is for a set of bookshelf speaker's and maybe even a center channel speaker. Although you'd need a receiver or amp + pre amp to power them, which would end up being out of the budget. No surround sound setup in a box is going to sound half as good as a setup like I recommended. I have the pioneer sp-bs21 bookshelf speakers paired with a pioneer c22 center channel and 2 cheapo rears, they sound amazing considering the price. I'd say ask yourself what do you need the speakers for? If its just movies an some tv shows then just cheap pc speakers will do.

Hardly. I have DT770's paired with an AntLion Modmic, and that serves me very well, but sometimes you just want to play your music out loud, y'know?

I would save up my money to get a real speaker.. I mean a home stereo system. But a decent one costs way too much tho.. :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

I would save up my money to get a real speaker.. I mean a home stereo system. But a decent one costs way too much tho.. :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

If you want surround sound does it get kind of expensive, but pretty much only movies have surround sound content. There's plenty of good used speakers on eBay if you're just looking for stereo.

If you want surround sound does it get kind of expensive, but pretty much only movies have surround sound content. There's plenty of good used speakers on eBay if you're just looking for stereo.

I just need stereo :D

I took a look at the Edifier's, read some reviews, and I think I'll go with them. They're only about £55 right now on OcUK :D

How about a decent sub?

I read some reviews on Dayton's subs and they're perfectly fine apart from the fact that they're not really available here in the UK :/

Polk subs seem to be generally seen as not-so-good, at least in the sub-£120 price range, so they're a no-no. Vega subs seemed perfect until I looked at the price tag.

I just need stereo  :D

I took a look at the Edifier's, read some reviews, and I think I'll go with them. They're only about £55 right now on OcUK  :D

How about a decent sub?

I read some reviews on Dayton's subs and they're perfectly fine apart from the fact that they're not really available here in the UK :/

Polk subs seem to be generally seen as not-so-good, at least in the sub-£120 price range, so they're a no-no. Vega subs seemed perfect until I looked at the price tag.

I don't know a ton about subs, but I did some looking last night and saw a few in your budget from major manufacturers like Yamaha and Onkyo just by typing "powered sub" into Amazon. Shouldn't be anything wrong with them.

I don't know a ton about subs, but I did some looking last night and saw a few in your budget from major manufacturers like Yamaha and Onkyo just by typing "powered sub" into Amazon. Shouldn't be anything wrong with them.

Cough Velodyne and Polk are better, Onkyo subs are sad.

Bookshelf+SUB, +1 to MayFlower.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

These are pretty damn good for the money.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/microlab-solo5c-80watt-20-high-fidelity-bookshelf-speakers-wooden-finish-with-remote-control

You can always add some depth with this nice active sub.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/subwoofers/cambridge-audio/s80/camb-s80-blk

The bookshelf's are also active and do not require amplification, just a decent DAC.

Fuck sake i added wrong links, sorry.

Fixed now.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW