Can I upgrade to a gtx 960 or gtx 1050 ti?

Ofbasecfin

Specs:

case: Sharkoon vg4-w red

cpu: AMD FM2 A6-6400K Dual Core 3,9GHz 

cpu cooling: standard

mobo: ASRock FM2A68M-DG3+  

ram: Crucial 8GB DDR3-1600 

hdd: 1000GB HDD SATAIII  

psu: Don't know which brand or what it's called, it's a 450W

gpu: amd (asus) radeon r7 240 1gb

So can I put any of these GPU's in as a upgrade?

If I can put in both, which one is better?

I can get the gtx 960 from my cousin for 80 euros, gtx 1050 ti would cost me around 170 euros.

To be honest you'd be bottlenecked by the CPU if you were to upgrade to the 960 or 1050Ti

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Both of those cards will be SEVERLY bottlenecked by your CPU. I wouldn't recommend either, but sure, go for the 960 if you really want it.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

Both of those cards will be SEVERLY bottlenecked by your CPU. I wouldn't recommend either, but sure, go for the 960 if you really want it.

I still don't really know what people mean with bottlenecking, like...

That you don't really get the best perfomance out of the cpu or gpu?

1 minute ago, Ofbasecfin said:

I still don't really know what people mean with bottlenecking

Watch this...

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

A bottleneck means that one component of your pc would be holding back thebes's potential of another. In your case, your cpu would not even able to keep up with your gpu causing a bottleneck.

2 minutes ago, Ofbasecfin said:

The CPU is responsible for feeding the GPU information to render. When the CPU is too slow and can't keep up, the GPU usage will reduce, and the clock speeds will also likely reduce.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Pretty much yes, but it's not necessarily a big deal if you plan on upgrading the rest of the system at some point in the realistic future. My wife ran a 1060 6Gb on a Thuban 1090T for a while and it performed amazingly well. Now she has a Ryzen, with much better performance but, at the time, it was a worthwhile upgrade in terms of performance gain. Primarily though because she knew she would be upgrading the rest of the system. My advice would be to go for the cheapest card for now, if you really want to, and then perhaps upgrade to an even beefier card when and if you do upgrade the CPU/Mobo and RAM.

4 minutes ago, Ofbasecfin said:

The CPU basically preps frames for the gpu to render. If the CPU is too slow, it won't prep them quick enough and the gpu will basically be waiting on the cpu to finish prepping.

Because of this, the GPU ends up spending some of its time idling, reducing performance.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

4 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Watch this...

So, which cpu should i upgrade to?

So, which cpu should i upgrade to?

What's your budget? 

زندگی از چراغ

Go for the cheapest for now. Upgrade later on when and if you do the rest of the system. You'd likely notice more immediate performance improvement, with boot times and so on, with an SSD upgrade now rather than a slight GPU upgrade.

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

What's your budget? 

For the cpu?

Maybe 130 euros, is that enough?

16 minutes ago, Ofbasecfin said:

Save your money for the Raven Ridge APUs coming in a month or 2

the CPU will be holding you back far too much

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, johnukguy said:

Go for the cheapest for now. Upgrade later on when and if you do the rest of the system. You'd likely notice more immediate performance improvement, with boot times and so on with an SSD upgrade now than a slight GPU upgrade.

... I really don't care about boot up time tho...

Just now, Streetguru said:

Save your money for the Raven Ridge APUs coming in a month or 2

the CPU will be holding you back far too much

I need to save my money anyways

Just now, Ofbasecfin said:

... I really don't care about boot up time tho...

Then go for the cheapest GPU. Seriously though, when you do add an SSD, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. Ask anyone who has one.

1 minute ago, johnukguy said:

Then go for the cheapest GPU. Seriously though, when you do add an SSD, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. Ask anyone who has one.

I know what it feels like to have one, I really don't care, costs too much money to me, all I care about is FPS

I need to save my money anyways

The Raven Ridge APUs should be basically an R5 1400 + RX 550 hopefully at $200 or less

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Ofbasecfin said:

For the cpu?

Take a look at this... (I know it's over your initial budget but if you could raise it a little that would be amazing)

https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/nYWxjc 

زندگی از چراغ

On 12/27/2017 at 8:37 PM, Ofbasecfin said:

For the cpu?

For gtx 960 , pentium g4560 can handle it easily alongside r3 cpus from amd . for price per prefrormances the pentium cpu at 75 dollars is better than the r3 1200 at 110 dollars. So with the pentium you can get a board with it for same 130 euros. With this you can run modern games with bottlenecking your gpu 

2 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Take a look at this... (I know it's over your initial budget but if you could raise it a little that would be amazing)

https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/nYWxjc 

That RAM pricing is scary and I'm not sure it's worth it to get a G4560 at this point when AM4 is usually an option for the long haul.

Spoiler

mine isn't the micro version, plus why the ram?

You'd need DDR4 RAM to upgrade your CPU, just wait for the desktop Ryzen APUs from AMD IMO

Spoiler