r5 1600 or 8600k or 8700

Go to solution Solved by johnukguy,
2 minutes ago, marvik said:

Thx for the tips, but how do you know the 2nd generation of ryzen cpu's are coming out not to long from now?
And the 8700k is out of budget and i will only game and use windows.

AMD announced the new CPU's a while back and are revealing the top end ones at CES 2018 in Las Vegas in a couple of weeks time. The 8700 is also a good chip, my bad for missing that it wasn't the K variant you meant, but again, there is no real upgrade path with it on the same motherboard. With Ryzen you will be able to upgrade on the same board for at least the next couple of years or so. As for budget, if you're in the US, near a Microcenter or a Staples, you can pick up an Ryzen 1600 plus a motherboard for just over $200 total, which is less than for either of the two Intel CPU's alone. An overclocked 1600, with a good GPU, will give you good performance, even in VR but, to be fair, the Intel CPUs will give you higher FPS. The lower end Ryzens are coming out around February, so if you can wait until then, you will have more CPU's to choose from than you do right now, and prices should be a little lower on the present Ryzen line up.

hi, 

I am going to build a new gaming pc with a GTX 1080, on which i want to play vr.
but i want to hit the 90 fps. will the 1600 be good enough for that, or will i need an intel 8600k or 8700?

let me know ;)

8700, use multi core enhancement to run at 4 6ghz 24/7

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

23 minutes ago, Damascus said:

8700, use multi core enhancement to run at 4 6ghz 24/7

but will the 1600 be able to hit the 90 fps in most vr games

26 minutes ago, marvik said:

but will the 1600 be able to hit the 90 fps in most vr games

Not nearly as well.

To be clear, a 1600 WILL work, just not as well as the other two

If you want to be able to upgrade on the same motherboard within the next two or three years, go for a Ryzen, though a 1700 or above might be a better choice at least for VR. If you can wait a few weeks, the new Ryzen CPU's are coming out which will offer even better performance at around the same costs as the present Ryzen line up. If all you care about is fps, do not even want to consider upgrading in the next few years, and don't mind paying more, then go for the 8600K or the 8700K. Both of those are very good chips for gaming and the 8700K is also good for things beyond gaming, unlike say the 8400. What will have a lot of impact on your VR experience by the way is your GPU. Ryzen 1600's are fine but you need a really good GPU alongside to bring out the best. Also, a weak GPU on an 8700K will also hold it back. Realistically you're likely looking at a 1070 or 1080 GPU.

1 minute ago, johnukguy said:

If you want to be able to upgrade on the same motherboard within the next two or three years, go for a Ryzen, though a 1700 or above might be a better choice at least for VR. If you can wait a few weeks, the new Ryzen CPU's are coming out which will offer even better performance at around the same costs as the present Ryzen line up. If all you care about is fps, do not even want to consider upgrading in the next few years, and don't mind paying more, then go for the 8600K or the 8700K. Both of those are very good chips for gaming and the 8700K is also good for things beyond gaming, unlike say the 8400.

Thx for the tips, but how do you know the 2nd generation of ryzen cpu's are coming out not to long from now?

2 minutes ago, marvik said:

AMD announced the new CPU's a while back and are revealing the top end ones at CES 2018 in Las Vegas in a couple of weeks time. The 8700 is also a good chip, my bad for missing that it wasn't the K variant you meant, but again, there is no real upgrade path with it on the same motherboard. With Ryzen you will be able to upgrade on the same board for at least the next couple of years or so. As for budget, if you're in the US, near a Microcenter or a Staples, you can pick up an Ryzen 1600 plus a motherboard for just over $200 total, which is less than for either of the two Intel CPU's alone. An overclocked 1600, with a good GPU, will give you good performance, even in VR but, to be fair, the Intel CPUs will give you higher FPS. The lower end Ryzens are coming out around February, so if you can wait until then, you will have more CPU's to choose from than you do right now, and prices should be a little lower on the present Ryzen line up.

2 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

thx for all the help, i think i can wait for that and see if somethings happen.
i'll have to rock my gtx 960 a little longer i guess.

The 960 is a decent card paired with any modern CPU for 1080p gaming still, but for VR, yes I'd recommend a 1070 or above. Then again Intel are also releasing new CPU's in the new year, though they may be significantly more expensive than the upcoming Ryzens, but should at least help lower prices somewhat for the 8600K, 8700 and other already existing Intel CPU's.

The 960 is a decent card paired with any modern CPU for 1080p gaming still, but for VR, yes I'd recommend a 1070 or above. Then again Intel are also releasing new CPU's in the new year, though they may be significantly more expensive than the upcoming Ryzens, but should at least help lower prices somewhat for the 8600K, 8700 and other already existing Intel CPU's.

I know but if you always keep waiting for the next line you'll never get ur pc, and of course it's not nice but that's life

3 minutes ago, marvik said:

I know but if you always keep waiting for the next line you'll never get ur pc, and of course it's not nice but that's life

I hear you and it's the dilemma we all face, well that and budgeting. But at least February or at the latest March, for real CPU's being in stores, isn't that long to wait now.

I hear you and it's the dilemma we all face, well that and budgeting. But at least February or at the latest March, for real CPU's being in stores, isn't that long to wait now.

yeah that's true

Just get the 8600K, it's $230 at Microcenter or $200 if you combine it in a mobo deal. Yes, the 1600 is $170/$140 under the same deal, but trust me if you want guaranteed 90fps+ for VR that extra $60 is money well spent.

The 8600K at 5GHz is up to 30% faster than a 1600 @ 4GHz for gaming purposes. Of course, that is when you aren't GPU limited. 

4 minutes ago, epsilon84 said:

Just get the 8600K, it's $230 at Microcenter or $200 if you combine it in a mobo deal. Yes, the 1600 is $170/$140 under the same deal, but trust me if you want guaranteed 90fps+ for VR that extra $60 is money well spent.

The 8600K at 5GHz is up to 30% faster than a 1600 @ 4GHz for gaming purposes. Of course, that is when you aren't GPU limited. 

i was wondering what the 230 deal was about, tfw 6hours away from a MC. About time the 8600k got a price cut.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

8 hours ago, epsilon84 said:

Yeah i know it is faster, but i would need a more expensive mobo and a cooler, which is included with the 1600.

11 hours ago, xg32 said:

i was wondering what the 230 deal was about, tfw 6hours away from a MC. About time the 8600k got a price cut.

You can get hold of an 8600K plus mobo from MC right now for $325 and an 8700K for $475 (plus tax). If you are near a Staples, you can often get them to price match individual items (not bundles though sadly) and they do a %110 price match. So for the 8600K Staples will do it for just over $200 with their price match

7 hours ago, marvik said:

Yeah i know it is faster, but i would need a more expensive mobo and a cooler, which is included with the 1600.

You're spending $1000+ (I'm guessing) on your gaming setup, right? Let's say you save $100 overall going for the 1600, would the 8600K still be the better choice? I think so. Gaming performance is up to 30% higher on CPU bound games, and the total cost in price of your system goes up ~10%. That is money well  spent IMO.

2 hours ago, epsilon84 said:

You're spending $1000+ (I'm guessing) on your gaming setup, right? Let's say you save $100 overall going for the 1600, would the 8600K still be the better choice? I think so. Gaming performance is up to 30% higher on CPU bound games, and the total cost in price of your system goes up ~10%. That is money well  spent IMO.

okay you made me think thanks for the help.