SSD+HDD, HDD not turning off when its idling

Darkbound

Hey guys, I recently upgraded pretty much my whole system, my mobo is Asus Rog Strix X370-F, and I have 512GB Samsung 850EVO SSD along with a 4TB WD RED HDD.

Im using the hdd mostly for storage, all of the files that I am using on a regular basis are on my ssd, the issue that I haev is that the HDD is not turning off when I am not accessing files from it (not after 15 mins, not after 3 hours).

I am using the Ryzen Balanced power plan and the "turn off hard disk" setting is set to 15 minutes, but its not working. I've tried setting it to 1 minute and I've observed the disk through task manager, nothing was accessing it and it still didnt turn off.

Any ideas?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/313300/hard-disks-do-not-turn-off-after-your-computer-has-been-idle

According to that, the hard drive may not actually turn off until well after the time you set it because of maintenance tasks that are being run in the background. This could especially be the case if Windows is using the idle time to defrag the HDD.

I will try and wait longer, but I've never spotted it turned off.

Btw, I think that this apply to a HDD that contains the OS, I've set it back to 1 min and Im gonna wait 30 minutes to see if anything changes, but I really doubt that it will, I am monitoring through task manager, nothing is accessing it

image.png.8838f43b9db1db624e4baec2c44d215d.png

40 minutes, no activity I've been monitoring it all the time, it didnt turn off.

4 hours ago, vaiwalker said:

i usually uninstall any 3rd party power config softwares. they seem to not work properly with windows power options sometimes. 

I tried the windows power saver plan, still nothing.