Apple admids slowing older iphones, says it's to prevent battery issues.

Ashleyyyy

What apple meant to say is. Our firmware updates are more than the previous iPhones can handle. While other companies will stop future firmware updates so the phone can stay fast and functional. We allow you to keep getting firmware updates on purpose so your phone gets so sluggish you're basically forced to buy a new one.

50 minutes ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

Topic already exists and your post is not up to the standard for a news post. 

yeah i know it's not up to the standard, i asked mods to change it. i don't know how to make a well formatted post. 

as for it already existing, i did a quick scroll through the news section. i must have missed it.

She/Her

55 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

What apple meant to say is. Our firmware updates are more than the previous iPhones can handle. While other companies will stop future firmware updates so the phone can stay fast and functional. We allow you to keep getting firmware updates on purpose so your phone gets so sluggish you're basically forced to buy a new one.

but unlike for example.. windows 10.. you arent forced to install those updates ;) my ipod touch ran the same iOS version when it died, as it did when i bought it 4 years before.

that said.. less than satisfied ipod touch user here, for a multitude of reasons (among which battery issues, "surprisingly" a week after launch of the new one, along with endless rows of other people..?), but that's matter for a different thread.

Just now, Teddy07 said:

Smartphone companies that use android won´t slow you down because you simply wont receive any updates anymore. If that counts xD

Might become part of some crypto currency bot nodes sadly. :P

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

planned obsolete. i have nothing to add.. 

also why is their battery degenerate so much? or is this a common thing? 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

11 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

also why is their battery degenerate so much? or is this a common thing? 

lithium ion batteries get weaker with age. that's why a laptop from 2006 with an original battery usually won't hold a charge anymore.

apple batteries in my experience do break sooner, but that's just my experience. my iphone 3gs battery died when the device was 5 years old, and i have an android tablet from 2012, also 5 years old, that still works fine.. 

She/Her

28 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Smartphone companies that use android won´t slow you down because you simply won´t receive updates anymore. If that counts xD

depends which one you get. samsung devices have terrible android update support usually, but in my experience sony and lg are pretty good. my lg g3 went from android 4.4 or 4.3 (can't remember), all the way to 6.0. 

She/Her

12 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

my mom's iphone 6 feels like a brick now. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

2 hours ago, phongle123 said:

My iPhone 3g didn't get updates after 3 ish years.. :|

36 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:
  1. read the article. look for paragraphs that explains most of the article. quote that
  2. if there are sentences that’s important (in terms of impact or clarification), quote that too
  3. make thoughts of the article. if you have questions instead, that’s fine too
  4. quote pictures if it involves products or visual information (maps, graphs, etc). take note of comments if any if them says they can’t view them. it’s most probably because the website blocks hotlinking
  5. if the article’s too short to begin with (e.g. twitter, one paragraph articles, video embeds), add more info if you can (spec sheets, other articles, etc). otherwise it should be fine
  6. good english not a requirement. be clear to the best of your ability and that’s all it matters

thanks for the tips! i'll keep those in mind!

She/Her

14 minutes ago, Gantoo said:

My iPhone 3g didn't get updates after 3 ish years.. :|

the iphone 4s is probably the best example of a phone getting updates for so long it became unusably slow. my brother had one of those a few while ago, and it took 20 seconds just to open the app store at that point... to be fair, i think it was a 4 gigabyte model, or 8, i dunno.. the least capacity.

She/Her