EK A240G - How the heck do I drain it?

Go to solution Solved by W-L,
Just now, wolfboytech said:

So what component would be best to connect it to for the draining (If I go with your method)?

If you want a proper method for draining you would need two sets of these to connect together with a length of tube to run out the case into a bucket.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-qdc-10mm-gray

Hey all, so I am considering the A240G (dual-loop setup with GPU and CPU blocks included) as my entry into the custom water cooling stage but, I need to know how to drain the darn thing because, as of right now, they do not include any fittings for a drainport. I've seen some plastic ones (with and without barbs), however I want to make it as easy as possible in the case I need to flip the system at any point after I purchase it. This may seem like a dumb question, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Mainline: MacBook Air M1 Display(s): Acer K272HUL; VIOTEK - GNV32DB Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech M720/K780 Sound: AirPods 3 Operating System: MacOS Phone: iPhone 13 Pro (Graphite)

You basically want a T-Junction, a ball-valve and a stopper. Depending on where you place the T-Junction and whether it has any male threads, you may need to buy a male to male adaptor or buy another fitting to put it in-line in a section of tubing. 

You basically want to put the T-Junction somewhere low down and then have the ball-valve going off that at ideally the lowest point you can, then use the stopper to ensure the valve doesn't leak, in case you knock it or something. 

EDIT: So it would end up looking somewhat like this:

af-ball-valve---nickel_example_use_1200.

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

snip

Problem with that: There's none that are aluminium or plastic from EK that I have seen. If there is, can you please link it?

Mainline: MacBook Air M1 Display(s): Acer K272HUL; VIOTEK - GNV32DB Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech M720/K780 Sound: AirPods 3 Operating System: MacOS Phone: iPhone 13 Pro (Graphite)

21 minutes ago, wolfboytech said:

Problem with that: There's none that are aluminium or plastic from EK that I have seen. If there is, can you please link it?

There aren't any, not from EK anyway.

Just don't bother with the Gaming kit if you're looking for any expand-ability or customization. Helps keep the cost down by restricting users to certain parts only.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

There aren't any, not from EK anyway.

Just don't bother with the Gaming kit if you're looking for any expand-ability or customization. Helps keep the cost down by restricting users to certain parts only.

Yeah, but I don't have the money for a complete "custom" kit, thus limiting my options.

30 minutes ago, wolfboytech said:

You can use the Colder quick disconnects from EKWB they are compatible with the fluid gaming series. If not the easiest way it to take a component or block out and loosen the fitting outside the case for draining. 

2 minutes ago, wolfboytech said:

Yeah, but I don't have the money for a complete "custom" kit, thus limiting my options.

There's loads of kits: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/kits

Some around the same price as a A240G and are better than it.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

You can use the Colder quick disconnects from EKWB they are compatible with the fluid gaming series. If not the easiest way it to take a component or block out and loosen the fitting outside the case for draining. 

So what component would be best to connect it to for the draining (If I go with your method)?

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

There's loads of kits: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/kits

Some around the same price as a A240G and are better than it.

There's no kit that includes a 240 rad, both the vardar fans, and the GPU block. In fact, none of the kits on that page include a GPU block and only the 120 rads are cheaper than the A240G's.

If you want a proper method for draining you would need two sets of these to connect together with a length of tube to run out the case into a bucket.

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Cool. Now linus said in his review that Barbs commonly damages components? What was that about?

1 minute ago, wolfboytech said:

Cool. Now linus said in his review that Barbs commonly damages components? What was that about?

Not sure what context that was in but if the tubing isn’t sealing properly onto the barbs they have a potential to leak esicpally if you reuse old tubing. For the fluid gaming all the fittings are aluminum based compression fittings. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Not sure what context that was in but if the tubing isn’t sealing properly onto the barbs they have a potential to leak esicpally if you reuse old tubing. For the fluid gaming all the fittings are aluminum based compression fittings. 

Okay. So I probably shouldn't "cheap out" and just buy one set of the Quick-Release fittings, and pull them apart whenever I want to drain it?

Okay. So I probably shouldn't "cheap out" and just buy one set of the Quick-Release fittings, and pull them apart whenever I want to drain it?

The quick release or disconnect I linked would be good for the fluid gaming loop and as a drain system. You must get two sets of them if you are using it as a drain as the quick disconnect is leakless when disconnected so you need to have the mating coupling attached to drain the actual loop. 

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

The quick release or disconnect I linked would be good for the fluid gaming loop and as a drain system. You must get two sets of them if you are using it as a drain as the quick disconnect is leakless when disconnected so you need to have the mating coupling attached to drain the actual loop. 

And that would be best nearest the pump? Also, I'm sorry for so many questions. i've tried to look at videos, but not many are newer and relating to aluminium kits like this one.

2 hours ago, wolfboytech said:

And that would be best nearest the pump? Also, I'm sorry for so many questions. i've tried to look at videos, but not many are newer and relating to aluminium kits like this one.

Lowest point or area with the largest amount of fluid usually the res. The kits works the same as a custom loop no difference really other than material. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Lowest point or area with the largest amount of fluid usually the res. The kits works the same as a custom loop no difference really other than material. 

Cool! Thank you so much for your help! :) I can't wait to save up the money to do it! I know it's just a pre-built loop, but it is so cool for me to get into this stuff!