SLI Problems (SOLVED)

zombienerd

Motherboard is Asrock X370 Killer SLI/ac

I just installed my second MSI GTX960 4GB.  Both cards are identical.  Brand new SLI bridge installed.

Both cards are detected by windows, and have the latest driver installed.

Nvidia Control Panel says I need to connect the bridge, and has the SLI options greyed out.  I have tried it in both directions, but this does not help.

GPU-Z shows PCIe x8 3.0 on card one, but only PCIe x8 1.1 on card two.  Otherwise, they are identical.

Could I have a bad bridge?  Could the 1.1 speed on card two be causing the issue?  Why would card two show a lower speed anyway?

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

I guess I spoke too soon.  Updated to the latest driver, and it enabled itself.  The driver was only a week old, that's odd.  GPU-Z now showing it running at x8 3.0.

SLI is so much fun :/ 

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

The bridges kind of suck.  I bought like 3 of them on Amazon and eventually got one to work when I had SLI 970s, but it was VERY sensitive and any little movement of the case or change in settings caused issues with the display output or the system recognizing the SLI.  

It was great when it worked, but it was a pain and I ditched it for a single 1080ti.

TLDR try another bridge to eliminate that as a possibility.

26 minutes ago, zombienerd said:

Nvidia Control Panel says I need to connect the bridge, and has the SLI options greyed out.  I have tried it in both directions, but this does not help.

Even though you've got it sorted now, just remember that the bridge isn't "hot swap" so to speak. Need to turn off PC to install it properly.

Also remember to nuke drivers with DDU before and after a new config. Usually helps.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III