3000 for mining

Xandaaa

I have 3k to spend on mining, what should I do? Should I go the asic route, should I mine ether with Gpus? If so what cards, mobos, cpus... Should I mine at all?

Put it into a savings account and get a real job?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I personally would get a Celeron and the cheapest memory and board that'll support up to at least 3 GPUs without PCIe risers. You don't want to cheap out on the PSU either, I'd personally go for 80+ Platinum rated unit(Corsair HXi series should be good). CPU mining is a little less efficient than GPU mining which is one of the reasons that people switched from using the CPU to mine.

As far as hardware itself goes, I'd get 2-3 RX 560s(make sure they're not the weakened ones), or 1060 6GBs. I believe you only need a drive big enough to store your operating system, so maybe a 120Gb SSD even would be fine. Depending on what currency you're going to be mining, either Linux or Windows will work. I know you can set up Ethereum mining on Linux, you'll just have to go through quite a bit to get it all fully set up. (There's a topic on this forum about it in the F@H and Mining section).

Although I do agree with @Enderman it would be a little more effective to put this money in a savings account(especially one that generates compound interest), but it's up to you!

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

12 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I personally would get a Celeron and the cheapest memory and board that'll support up to at least 3 GPUs without PCIe risers. You don't want to cheap out on the PSU either, I'd personally go for 80+ Platinum rated unit(Corsair HXi series should be good). CPU mining is a little less efficient than GPU mining which is one of the reasons that people switched from using the CPU to mine.

As far as hardware itself goes, I'd get 2-3 RX 560s(make sure they're not the weakened ones), or 1060 6GBs. I believe you only need a drive big enough to store your operating system, so maybe a 120Gb SSD even would be fine. Depending on what currency you're going to be mining, either Linux or Windows will work. I know you can set up Ethereum mining on Linux, you'll just have to go through quite a bit to get it all fully set up. (There's a topic on this forum about it in the F@H and Mining section).

Although I do agree with @Enderman it would be a little more effective to put this money in a savings account(especially one that generates compound interest), but it's up to you!

I like the idea, thanks for your input!

Depends on what you want to mine. Voskcoin on YouTube does some great builds. Did a 12x1060 rig which is what I'd prefer, especially for eth. Helping a friend set up two rigs with 6-8 cards each as he wants to keep windows for ease I guess. Doing 1080ti's though. 

With 3k you could do 12 1060's and easily make that back it 6 months with eth. 

Just need to look at what you are doing to mine and buy the cards based on that if you chose gpu's. Top two things actually, if you dual mine. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Just make sure that what ever cpu you are getting it has enough to allocate at most 1 thread per 2 gpus as that will help with performance

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

ASRock H110 Pro BTC+, a compatible CPU, a veryyy good power supply like gold, platinum or titanium certified(you can check your power draw here), 4GB RAM, and an SSD because HDD will just slow your PC and production. If you can get a RX580 4GB(more memory doesn't makeany sense) at a normal price, like in range from $250~$300, buy as many as you can. Pun a custom bios from github and you if you've done it without any trouble you will get about 27~29MH/s on ethereum, which is very good for a card. Also keep it at lower then 70 degrees celsius, this way your card/cards will live a long life. Better look on the internet how to optimize your card for mining. Alternatively rx580 you can get RX 570, 1050ti, 1060(6GB 3GB performs worse). I've got a 1050ti, overclocked the memory till 4500, fans on 60%, 46 degrees celsius and I get about 14~15MH/s on ethereum and I've mined already $7 in about 10 days or so.

But! read as much as you find about mining, about everything and find out if it suits your self or not, cause it's much more complicated than just building a mining rig.

You'll do better putting the money in a savings account instead of going through the hassle of setting this up, while also making it impossible for gamers to buy the GPUs...

That's an F in the profile pic