Chances of a locked i7 bottlenecking future graphics cards?

Hi all, I currently have a locked i5 on a z170 board and a 1060. I'm considering upgrading to the 2070/80 when they release. I'm gaming at 1440p144hz.

So obviously my CPU would hold those cards back assuming there's a decent performance upgrade, and I can upgrade that. However, I'm not sure to go with a barely used 7700 my friend has offered to sell me (not 100% on price yet but a decent amount off new) or going for a new unlocked CPU where I would also buy cooler.

So I'm wondering if it's worth going for the k model here in regards to future bottlenecks? Especially considering the long life of the 2nd gen k i7s relative to the locked ones.

I KNOW the cards haven't been released yet, I'm looking for opinions on the value of the k chip

Thanks

That's an F in the profile pic

2 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Hi all, I currently have a locked i5 on a z170 board and a 1060. I'm considering upgrading to the 2070/80 when they release. I'm gaming at 1440p144hz.

So obviously my CPU would hold those cards back assuming there's a decent performance upgrade, and I can upgrade that. However, I'm not sure to go with a barely used 7700 my friend has offered to sell me (not 100% on price yet but a decent amount off new) or going for a new unlocked CPU where I would also buy cooler.

So I'm wondering if it's worth going for the k model here in regards to future bottlenecks? Especially considering the long life of the 2nd gen k i7s relative to the locked ones.

I KNOW the cards haven't been released yet, I'm looking for opinions on the value of the k chip

Thanks

Nvidia says the 2000 series are not built for gaming,  but yea an 7700 would be fine i think but yea an 8700k would cost a lot more 

ask me about your system builds, AIO's, CPU's, PSU's, and GPU's.

In the new LTT video about 4k this one, they showed older cpus and how they compared I personally don't think it will really knee cap you till about 2-3 gpu generations form now 

Spoiler

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

1 minute ago, ricksteendam1 said:

Nvidia says the 2000 series are not built for gaming,  but yea an 7700 would be fine i think but yea an 8700k would cost a lot more 

Think volta not 2000 but at this point I am fucking lost

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

3 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

In the new LTT video about 4k this one, they showed older cpus and how they compared I personally don't think it will really knee cap you till about 2-3 gpu generations form now 

Reveal hidden contents

4 minutes ago, ricksteendam1 said:

If I wasn't clear I'm trying to decide between the locked 7700 and the 7700k.

I was fairly sure the 2000 series would be the consumer graphics cards for next year... I think you've confused the 2000 series with the Titan Volta

Just now, Froody129 said:

If I wasn't clear I'm trying to decide between the locked 7700 and the 7700k.

I was fairly sure the 2000 series would be the consumer graphics cards for next year... I think you've confused the 2000 series with the Titan Volta

yeah okay Okay I though you were running an I5 I think you should be work at least the Volta and the next architecture. 

3 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

yeah okay Okay I though you were running an I5 I think you should be work at least the Volta and the next architecture. 

I am running an i5, but I know it's going to bottleneck my next GPU so I'm wondering if it's worth going for the unlocked i7 over the locked i7 to alleviate this bottleneck

You could buy a used 6700k pretty cheap.  A friend of mine just got one on eBay for $230.  Performance is almost the same.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

If the K version isn't much more than the non K, I don't see why you wouldn't get it?

The 7700 non K will be stuck with a 4GHz all core turbo, many 7700Ks can overclock to around 5GHz which would give it enough extra headroom for another generation of GPU upgrades.

Te i7 7700 will always give you superior performance to an overclocked i5 7600k, i3 8350k and pretty much the same of the i5 8400, the 1ghz increase in frequency on best possible scenario frankly helps yet not enough to justify a high spend, thing is for the GPUs of tomorrow for high refresh rate 1440p and 4k gameplay specially on Vulkan and DX12 will not be as limited by Frequency but actual # of threads.

We are reaching at last the age of well optimized for multi-threading games meaning cores will matter more, the difference of 4 cores vs 6 cores is going to be noticeable at the latest fastest end new cores.

What i mean is, have in mind Kaby Lake i7 is no better than Coffee Lake i5 so it no longer is "high end" it is mid end... there simply isn't much on doing to keep up with nVidia's future highest end.

As you can see when you have 6 cores instead of 4 on the latest IPC and frequencies above 4ghz constantly the "overclocking" even loses its point:

To short it up, overclocking the i7 7700k helps, it doesn't solve you any issue though.

My best advice is get the i7 7700 which is enough for high end now, still awesome and powerful processor already above Ryzen just so you don't feel troubled about it:

VNGjZF2.jpg

Use and abuse of it and save up to get an Ice Lake 10nm processor in the future... motherboard future proofing ain't worth it, most meaningful gains to upgrade path will always ask you a new platform, even AMD has issues with it Zen+ end up supported only on x370 chipset rip.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

From a technical standpoint, if you're not getting the best performing processor period, you're bound to "bottleneck" the GPU.

It's better to look at this from the point of view of how much performance you're getting now and how much performance you may be getting. The only time you should worry about bottlenecks is if the performance you're getting is below what you want. Even if you upgrade to a new GPU and it's bottlenecked, unless you don't think you'll be getting a new motherboard, RAM, and processor in a timely manner, so what? It's no different than buying a PC in parts over the course of a month or so. And at least you'll be using the video card such that you can find defects before the return period is up.

13 hours ago, ricksteendam1 said:

Can I have the source? 

18 hours ago, Froody129 said:

Thanks

some z170 boards have had a messed up bios at some point that allowed locked i5s to be oc'd, perhaps look for that bios :P although if you can, get a 7700k, should be a great upgrade that will last(if you can find a 6700k for anything over 50 bucks cheaper just get the 6700k)

18 minutes ago, ImNotThere said:

some z170 boards have had a messed up bios at some point that allowed locked i5s to be oc'd, perhaps look for that bios :P although if you can, get a 7700k, should be a great upgrade that will last(if you can find a 6700k for anything over 50 bucks cheaper just get the 6700k)

I saw that. I have a compatible board but I'm running the stock cooler and it's like 30C+ ambients now. I'd have to buy a new cooler, while it might just be more beneficial to go for the locked i7. To clarify since I think some people are confused, I can get a locked 7700 used off a friend, but if I want the K I'd have to buy new.

8 hours ago, Linus Tech Tits said:

Can I have the source? 

He worded it wrong, GTX 2000 series simply isn't Volta that we're seeing finally get to the market with the TITAN V, 2000 series will be Ampere architecture for 2019.

Volta will be limited to enterprise solutions for now since its Tensor Cores which it's main differentiation from Pascal is still useless for gaming.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 hours ago, Froody129 said:

I saw that. I have a compatible board but I'm running the stock cooler and it's like 30C+ ambients now. I'd have to buy a new cooler, while it might just be more beneficial to go for the locked i7. To clarify since I think some people are confused, I can get a locked 7700 used off a friend, but if I want the K I'd have to buy new.

you have a z series mobo though, kinda wasted performance imo

look for a used 6700k, should be fairly cheaper than a 7700k and perform nearly identically

8 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

He worded it wrong, GTX 2000 series simply isn't Volta that we're seeing finally get to the market with the TITAN V, 2000 series will be Ampere architecture for 2019.

Volta will be limited to enterprise solutions for now since its Tensor Cores which it's main differentiation from Pascal is still useless for gaming.

oh so it is still pascal refresh? 

wait there is no new gpu for 2018?