Can you safely run a PWM fan in DC mode?

steffeeh

Long story short, some complications has forced me for now to run a PWM fan in DC mode. I kind of like the result, so I might let it run that way instead.

However, can you run a PWM fan in DC mode, or could it be harmful for the fan in the long run?

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU

it's fine

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

i wouldnt see why not, and afaik all brands of fans will either also do DC control, or just run at max speed with reduced torque.

as long as the fan will speed up and slow down as you change the voltage, that is a sign that the fan was designed to do that.

Right now it's sitting with just too little voltage to be able to spin, so that it can quickly activate once temp reach a certain point. I guess this is also no problem?

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU

6 hours ago, steffeeh said:

Right now it's sitting with just too little voltage to be able to spin, so that it can quickly activate once temp reach a certain point. I guess this is also no problem?

That's fine.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

PWM and DC fans are essentially same. One just has one wire more.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv